Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Are you sure?
Yes I am quite sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
FALLINGWATER, Your first post is pretty much right on. The part missing is the final drive gears. Another name for the final drive is differential. No matter the engine really, most any transmission runs one to one in what ever is the 'drive gear; or 4th gear in std trannys. This does not count over drive which is a gearing in some trannys; where the engine to final output is less engine turns to one of the tranny. IE: 7/8ths engine turn to one of the tranny. That is over drive.

The final drive gears matter What happens in a gear ratio these means a lot to the powder delivered to the driving wheels. Typical gear ratios to final drives run from 4.10 to 2.73 to one.

What this means is the engine in 4th gear is one to one with the tranny in drive; or in the case of auto shift. However at the drive wheels by the differential gears there is a reduction which is responcible over all ranges of power in a given engine to vehical power.

The differential gears are not something in common light trucks and cars that can be selected. So far as i know there are no tandum final drive vehicals in this class, so we can not select different final drive gears, as some larger trucks can. Wih the larger trucks that have tandum differentials there is a high and low range for all gears.

So if say a tow vehical has a final drive ratio of 4.10 to one the engine makes 4.10 revolutions to one of bthe wheels in 4th or drive. (no over drive)

On the other end of the spectrum with 2.73 the engine makes 2.73 revoultions to one of the drive wheels.

If the same engines and same trannys were in 2 different vehicals but the 4.10 and 2.73 were installed in each, the 4.10 would have the most grunt. The 2.73 would be the best on the top end (speed) Both will pull at 60 MPH ok, but the 4.10 vehical would be a higher RPM.

IMO the guy is a jerk and you probably know more about this than he does. Most guys don't know much about cars. That day ended when you last saw guys under the hood on Saturday mornings.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
FALLINGWATER, Your first post is pretty much right on. The part missing is the final drive gears. Another name for the final drive is differential. No matter the engine really, most any transmission runs one to one in what ever is the 'drive gear; or 4th gear in std trannys. This does not count over drive which is a gearing in some trannys; where the engine to final output is less engine turns to one of the tranny. IE: 7/8ths engine turn to one of the tranny. That is over drive.

The final drive gears matter What happens in a gear ratio these means a lot to the powder delivered to the driving wheels. Typical gear ratios to final drives run from 4.10 to 2.73 to one.

What this means is the engine in 4th gear is one to one with the tranny in drive; or in the case of auto shift. However at the drive wheels by the differential gears there is a reduction which is responcible over all ranges of power in a given engine to vehical power.

The differential gears are not something in common light trucks and cars that can be selected. So far as i know there are no tandum final drive vehicals in this class, so we can not select different final drive gears, as some larger trucks can. Wih the larger trucks that have tandum differentials there is a high and low range for all gears.

So if say a tow vehical has a final drive ratio of 4.10 to one the engine makes 4.10 revolutions to one of bthe wheels in 4th or drive. (no over drive)

On the other end of the spectrum with 2.73 the engine makes 2.73 revoultions to one of the drive wheels.

If the same engines and same trannys were in 2 different vehicals but the 4.10 and 2.73 were installed in each, the 4.10 would have the most grunt. The 2.73 would be the best on the top end (speed) Both will pull at 60 MPH ok, but the 4.10 vehical would be a higher RPM.

IMO the guy is a jerk and you probably know more about this than he does. Most guys don't know much about cars. That day ended when you last saw guys under the hood on Saturday mornings.
wow, interesting. I never really understood Overdrive. Thanks for sharing. My BIL aka the jerk knows nothing about cars. I think his reaction to my advice stems from insecurity. I think sometimes guys feel they need to know a lot about cars but if no one ever taught them, they are not going to know!

I grew up in Detroit and learning about cars was life lessons 101. lol. Every male in my family was either a mechanic, auto worker, truck driver...everything relates to cars and well exactly why my hometown is in such a flux now. Every guy I knew was a weekend mechanic too. I think with modernization of cars has killed the weekend mechanic. Cars can be pretty complex with all the computer components. I now live by the RV capitol of the world so my knucklehead in-laws should at least taken some of my advice under consideration. Oh well. I am not an expert just have some experience with some towing. Anyway, I like talking cars. ha ha. So you will see my face on here every once in awhile.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I didn't really get into over drive (O/D) The 7/8thsd is a made up number to make a point. The point being the engine will make a less than full turn or 1 revolution to the trannies 1 with a compound part called a sun gear and it has 3 palnet gears all contained in a geared drum like a drum brake but with helical cut teeth (sideways teeth cut on apx 45 degree angles. which the planets engage and the sun gear in the center engage as well.

Even in O/D the differential gears are the same and a constant.

Pretty much the home tech guys are gone, or reduced to the most mundane repairs. Brake pads, battery swaps, exhaust pipes.

I only do what modern techs can't any more I deal in 12 volt systems where there is a problem no one else will fix or can fix. I work on selected bikes for selected customers too but at that mainly wiring work. I am saying this since yer head is in the right place, and you suit me.

Also i am very married. So I have no other motives. You wouldn't want me anyway, ck my profile pic, Yes that is really me. LOL

ps; My Kawii Nomad MC has 2 over drives. 1st gear, 2nd gear and 3rd gear are real gears, 4th and 5th are both over drives. This makes 3rd gear 1 to 1 with the engine. Still there is a final drive gear box with reduction.

And yeah yer BIL should listen to you.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I didn't really get into over drive (O/D) The 7/8thsd is a made up number to make a point. The point being the engine will make a less than full turn or 1 revolution to the trannies 1 with a compound part called a sun gear and it has 3 palnet gears all contained in a geared drum like a drum brake but with helical cut teeth (sideways teeth cut on apx 45 degree angles. which the planets engage and the sun gear in the center engage as well.

Even in O/D the differential gears are the same and a constant.

Pretty much the home tech guys are gone, or reduced to the most mundane repairs. Brake pads, battery swaps, exhaust pipes.

I only do what modern techs can't any more I deal in 12 volt systems where there is a problem no one else will fix or can fix. I work on selected bikes for selected customers too but at that mainly wiring work. I am saying this since yer head is in the right place, and you suit me.

Also i am very married. So I have no other motives. You wouldn't want me anyway, ck my profile pic, Yes that is really me. LOL

ps; My Kawii Nomad MC has 2 over drives. 1st gear, 2nd gear and 3rd gear are real gears, 4th and 5th are both over drives. This makes 3rd gear 1 to 1 with the engine. Still there is a final drive gear box with reduction.

And yeah yer BIL should listen to you.
I see. I guess that makes sense. My first car was a stick shift that only had 3 gears. My mom's car at that time had 5. So if I am understanding you then anything after the 3rd gear is O/D?

That pic is cool. I am into photography and its a nice shot. So are you into some sort of re-enacement group or are you a wild man that lives in the woods until a car needs to be fixed?

No worries I am happily married myself. I have met some great intelligent happily married men and women on CD that just like to talk. In regards to cars, I guess I share the feeling that some have on the sense of freedom a car brings. But with that freedom I always wanted to understand how they work because cars can take you far from home and ditch you if you don't treat em right. I spent weekends with my father hanging out at the garage he worked at. I can not fix cars, I am what you would call a ear mechanic. LOL. It drives my husband nuts. He hates when I take his car because I come back with a full report of the noises I heard and my diagnosis.

Most of the time I am right but as the cars get more computerized its harder to tell. When our contour broke down, I knew the starter was shot but missed the timing belt issue. So either it didnt make a noise or I am loosing my touch. I am probably hijacking this thread to a new subject but I am on the hunt for another car and I want to get something I never had before. A BMW. I can just hear my grandfather rolling over in his grave right now (big ford man). ha ha. But I love to drive and I want something fun to drive. German engineering has always intrigued me. Just not sure if my pocket can handle it. I have heard enough horror stories. I guess it will take a leap of faith on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive