Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,397,628 times

Advertisements

2011 Ford Fiesta S Sedan review - Examiner.com

Quote:
As with the Honda Fit, the Fiesta has been heralded by many reviewers as a positively brilliant car to drive, making the best use of its tidy size for sharp handling. As with the Fit, this reviewer wasn't quite as blown away. The steering could be more responsive and better-weighted, and the automatic transmission – geared to achieve class-leading EPA ratings of 29 miles per gallon in the city and 38 on the highway – was sometimes slow to shift, making the car feel sluggish off the line.

However, this Ford is still closer to that fun-to-drive ideal that the competing Honda, feeling more agile and avoiding the Fit's buzzy engine drone. The Fiesta also has the nicer interior of the two, and the sedan version of the Fit is not available in the U.S. for consumers who prefer this body style. It also tracks well on the highway, feeling more like a decent compact car than a subcompact. The ride is firm but not stiff; the Fiesta doesn't try to isolate drivers from road imperfections like a Nissan Versa, but it avoids feeling unpleasant. Higher-end models with bigger wheels may slam a bit harder over bumps.
Quote:
But if you're looking for style, a premium feel, or minimal fuel consumption out of your subcompact – and don't mind giving up interior volume to get it – you may well find it worth the wait.
Quote:
Vehicle tested: 2011 Ford Fiesta
Vehicle base price (MSRP): $13,320
Version tested: S
Version base price (MSRP): $13,320
Vehicle price as tested (MSRP): $15,065
Estimated transaction price as tested: $15,065
Test vehicle provided by: Apple Ford of Columbia, Md.

Key specifications:
Length: 173.6 inches
Width: 66.8 inches
Height: 58.0 inches
Wheelbase: 98.0 inches
Weight: 2,628 pounds
Trunk volume: 12.8
Turning radius: 17.2 feet
Engine: 1.6-liter I4 with 119 horsepower
Transmission (as tested): 6-speed automatic
EPA city mileage: 29 miles per gallon
EPA highway mileage: 38 miles per gallon
For more information: Ford website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,255,682 times
Personally I like it and I am normally not a fan of small cars (until recently).

$13K entry level price on a small American car seems a bit steep to me, but I am remembering the days when not too long ago an entry-level small American car stickered for around $10K. If I could get a loaded one for $13K, I would consider it.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,141,420 times
I like the Fiesta, and hope it's a big hit for Ford. I would buy the Fit over the Fiesta, though. It does everything well, and itis a Honda.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
It blows my mind that a car this small still checks in at 2,600lbs.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,963,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It blows my mind that a car this small still checks in at 2,600lbs.
It does have to meet safety standards still which means strong (usually heavier and more durable) materials. While lightweight strong materials exist, its just not cost effective to use yet.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
It will be interesting to see how well the Fiesta really stacks up against the Fit. The Fit is far and away the class leader in the segment and is just an all around great car for the money. I would actually consider the Fiesta for a daily commuter, but it's hard to roll the dice on something new versus just going for a Fit which in addition to being a good driving and versatile car, also holds it's value like crazy.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,186,288 times
Really wish I could fit in one because I'd love to throw it around. Too bad the reviewer got the ATX version, though. I would think the same complaint about sluggish acceleration could be made about any car with an engine that tiny and a slushbox.

Mike

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM

232 posts, read 633,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It will be interesting to see how well the Fiesta really stacks up against the Fit. The Fit is far and away the class leader in the segment and is just an all around great car for the money. I would actually consider the Fiesta for a daily commuter, but it's hard to roll the dice on something new versus just going for a Fit which in addition to being a good driving and versatile car, also holds it's value like crazy.

Ford has been selling these in Europe for the last two years and the Fiesta is the best selling car there. The US version is mostly the same, although with more safety crap and the interior actually uses more expensive material here. I was originally getting the Fit, but the MPG and cost was just better with the Fiesta, plus the Fiesta has far more options in areas I want. I cannot get a Fit with push button start ( I love this feature since getting a car with it, I know most people will just ...bleh...at it, but it's like HD tv to standard TV), leather interior or even bluetooth. Honda's nav system sucks balls and is very overpriced. I can "sync" my droid to my Fiesta and use my phones nav system via the car as well as play all the music on my phone via bluetooth and controlling with voice commans or the steering wheel controls. The Fit is not going to be class leader for long unless they make some major changes for the next model.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
Ford has been selling these in Europe for the last two years and the Fiesta is the best selling car there. The US version is mostly the same, although with more safety crap and the interior actually uses more expensive material here. I was originally getting the Fit, but the MPG and cost was just better with the Fiesta, plus the Fiesta has far more options in areas I want. I cannot get a Fit with push button start ( I love this feature since getting a car with it, I know most people will just ...bleh...at it, but it's like HD tv to standard TV), leather interior or even bluetooth. Honda's nav system sucks balls and is very overpriced. I can "sync" my droid to my Fiesta and use my phones nav system via the car as well as play all the music on my phone via bluetooth and controlling with voice commans or the steering wheel controls. The Fit is not going to be class leader for long unless they make some major changes for the next model.
I agree with you 100%, the Fiesta seems to be the car to get in that segment. It offers a lot of things that the others simply don't have. I was more interested in seeing what happens over the next year or so, particularly with resale. If I was to buy today, it would probably be the Fiesta, but the Fit is still the proven commodity, at least in North America.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
How new is this car though? Hasn't this car already been plying the streets of Europe for years now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive