Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times

Advertisements

Police boost use of unmarked cars to target speeders - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Speeders, beware: That innocent-looking Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Fusion or SUV you're about to blow past just might be the law.
In their effort to reduce speeding — a factor in nearly one-third of all highway deaths — state and local police agencies around the USA increasingly are using unmarked patrol cars, sports cars and even "ghost" cruisers with obscured markings.
Thoughts?

I"m glad, GA doesn't allow unmarked cars to pull you over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
This is for the birds. Aside from the government wanting strict control on everything (and big deal with speeding, there are way more serious crimes), I think unmarked cars are sketchy and a good way for any creep to abduct/murder people on the side of the road.

I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling over for an unmarked car.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Traffic speeding tickets are pretty much the last revenue stream standing for municipalities, and ticket issuance has been on the rise for the past two years, so its not surprising that police forces are doing more to cite the public for speeding.

I know the Virginia State Police have used plebeian Civics on 95 for years, South Carolina uses drug- possessed cars like Escalades in its force, North Carolina uses cameras in panel vans to catch speeders. I don't think this is anything new, maybe just more prevalent now.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
I'm pretty sure CA doesn't allow traffic enforement using unmarked cars, either, and for the same safety reason cited above. Just a few months ago, some creeper dressed up a Crown Vic to look like an unmarked cop car (spotilghts, back seat cage, etc.) and tried to pull over some young girl driving late at night. Thankfully, she felt something afoot, made a quick turn onto a side street, and lost him. The guy could have easily nabbed someone else unfortunate enough to be less aware of their surroundings.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
More money grubbing garbage disguised as public safety.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Lawmakers and police don't actually want you to stop speeding, or they'd run out of money to pay their salaries. If everyone stopped speeding tomorrow, then new, really anal laws would start getting written to make up the deficit. Traffic enforcement is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Less than 3% of all drivers have accidents each year. And yet average speeds are up. So obviously 97% of the driving public is safe, even at these elevated speeds.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
I was actually thinking of this the other day. Unmarked cars catch people acting more in their normal behavior. While marked police cars give a presence that would keep someone from robbing or speeding.

I guess you want both to get the best of both worlds.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 3,912,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Traffic speeding tickets are pretty much the last revenue stream standing for municipalities, and ticket issuance has been on the rise for the past two years, so its not surprising that police forces are doing more to cite the public for speeding.

I know the Virginia State Police have used plebeian Civics on 95 for years, South Carolina uses drug- possessed cars like Escalades in its force, North Carolina uses cameras in panel vans to catch speeders. I don't think this is anything new, maybe just more prevalent now.

We had a cop that confiscated an acquaintances's Toyota Four runner for drug possession and the force used it for a couple years here. That was right before they got the Camaros.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
I live way out in the country with the main highway being a two lane with lots of hills and curves and only two areas in about fifteen miles where it's even halfway safe to pass a slower car. After a particularly bad accident (head on with fatalities) at the end of one of those areas, the police picked up the patrol with unmarked vehicles. Saw the usual Chargers and Crown Vics but the oddest one was an 90s model Ford F150. Wouldn't have spotted that one in a million years.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
I saw a guy pulled over by a cop on a Smart Car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive