Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

2011 GT 500.. 550 hp from the factory and 675 RWHP (750 at the crank)with the over the counter and installed by a Ford dealer FRPP 750 hp kit.. blower, fuel pump and a box tune.. thats it. All that from a 331 cubic inch motor

2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Ford Racing Twin Screw Blower Kit Installation - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
no they used a LS9 6.2 supercharged V-8 in the ZR-1 and a N/A LS7 7.0 liter V-8 in the Z06. So the Z06 has the bigger displacement motor.

the LS7 block was not used due to the higher cylinder pressures created by the supercharger requiring the thicker cylinder walls of the LS3.

on the other hand GM has had success with DOHC 4-valve motors in the orginal corvette ZR-1 in the 90's and the cadillac northstar motors are also DOHC V8's. It would be easy for GM to put one in their lower end muslce cars but then again they have 50 years of design in the old OHV 2-valve motors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Most of the Volts will be purchased by the buyers of last resort - federal and state governments.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 First Look and Photos - Motor Trend
I always thought the Boss 302 was one of the best looking Mustangs ever and now it's back and they said they're gunning for the BMW M5. Some things are new and high tech. Some things are old school (like lifting the hood and trunk to use a screw driver to adjust the suspension). Be sure to have a tissue handy to wipe the drool from the corner of your mouth before it hits the keyboard or computer screen.
Someone who is in the market for a Volt type vehicle will not have something like a Mustang on their radar, and vice versa.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
12 GO,

Thanks for your reply. I will admit that I am not intimately familiar with the EPA. I live in Europe. I am not surprised that the EPA (like most/all) political agencies is run by power hungry people. That's politics, unfortunately. I would therefore agree with "reform the EPA" but I don't think "ban the EPA" is the answer. I am not sure I can follow your DuPont example. They were one of many manufacturers of R12 (Freon) and are now one of many manufacturers of R134A.

I think we all agree that it is desirable to protect natural resources and keep the air we breath and the water we drink free from dangerous contamination. Do you think companies would invest money in clean technology if they had a choice not to and increase profits instead?

Anyway, to come back to the Volt vs Mustang discussion. I agree it depends largely on how the electricity for the Volt is generated. Let's assume one lives in a very sunny state (like AZ for example) and uses his own PV panels to charge the Volt. Then this would clearly be better than burning fossil fuel which will run out at some stage and contributes to increased CO2 emmisions. Same if the electricity supplied by the power company is generated using renewable energy such as solar, wind, water, tidal etc.

I think if we look at the use of fossil fuels in the US versus the rest of the world and consider how much more fuel will be used when developing countries like China and India start using oil like the US I think it is clear that we need alterantive sources of energy.

You are welcome. As for what companies would do without such agencies, market demands, and less regulation from government would lead what gets built. It is frustrating to me that in other parts of the world are engine designs inuse that put exhaust out that is cleaner than the air it takes in, BUT will never be in the US because they do not use many of the required "emissions controls" by the epa. Fact is the competition is so stiff between companies to make the most effeicent engines for customers, that gov. regulations could easily be eliminated.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Word, I still think the better buy is the base GT with the Brembo package. A few choice suspension, performance mods and tires along with a decent tune should put even a regular Mustang in the same territory.

With that said, I really like what Ford did with this car. I think they did the Boss name justice by going well beyond a sticker package like the old "Bullitt" models. It's a car I would like to own, but the other options at that price or even cheaper where you can get equal or better performance stock or through modding, makes it not such a great value. Such is the problem with factory tuner/race cars. They are unique and generally well done, but their performance is easily attainable through other means. Their value lies solely in their collectability/uniqueness.
The old Bullitt was more than just a sticker job. The suspension was revised for better handling, and the induction system including the functional hood scoop gave a modest increase in horsepower and substantially broadened the torque curve. Plus it had the Cobra brakes. The Bullitt was quicker than the standard GT both on the strip and on the track, and it stopped quicker too.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The old Bullitt was more than just a sticker job. The suspension was revised for better handling, and the induction system including the functional hood scoop gave a modest increase in horsepower and substantially broadened the torque curve. Plus it had the Cobra brakes. The Bullitt was quicker than the standard GT both on the strip and on the track, and it stopped quicker too.
ummm...OK, here are the exact changes to the "Bullitt" versus a standard GT of the same year:

- Cobra SVO intake manifold with twin 57mm throttle bodies (there was no functional hood scoop).
- Alternator and windage tray from a Cobra.
- Unique exhaust system tuned to sound like the car in the movie "Bullitt".
- More aggressive springs (from SVO catalog) lowered ride height 3/4".
- Brushed aluminum fuel door.
- Aluminum shift knob and faux medal grip pedals.
- Vintage style seats.
- American Torque Thrust "D" style rims.
- Stock GT brakes and calipers, but the calipers were painted red.
- Horsepower was up 5 from 260 on a GT to 265 on the Bullitt.
- Torque was up 3 from 302 on a GT to 305 on the Bullitt and both peaked at 4,000 RPM, though the Bullitt had about 10% more area under the curve.

On the performance end, Bullitt's achieved 0-60, 1/4 mile and braking distances equal to a basic Mustang GT. It did achieve about .4 more MPH on the skid pad (63 flat for the GT, 63.4 for the Bullitt) and was a tick quicker in the slalom.

Yes, it was a sticker job. They added no real or discernible performance to the car. The main changes were related to looks with painted calipers, different rims (that eventually became standard Mustang equipment) and some aluminum bits, different seat cover and gauges. The intake was a nice bit and a lot of guys bought them to add to GT builds that used force induction, however, naturally aspirated the intake showed little gains and was a very expensive piece.

The later Mach 1 was a much better effort and used a version of the old (96-98) Cobra 4.6L with DOHC and 32 valves and that is the car with the "shaker" functional hood scoop. That car made 305 horespower and had more aggressive gearing in addition to the appearance changes. That car was legitimately faster than a regular GT and split the difference between the GT and S/C'd Cobra. The Bullitt was never anything more than a sticker job/collector car.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
and a gearing change..

Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
and a gearing change..
The gearing change was on the newer "Bullitt's" that were also pretty much a sticker job. The older "New Edge (99-04)" Mustang Bullitts used the standard GT 3.27 rear.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The gearing change was on the newer "Bullitt's" that were also pretty much a sticker job. The older "New Edge (99-04)" Mustang Bullitts used the standard GT 3.27 rear.

I thought we were talking the 08-09 Bullitts. They have a different tune, 3.73 gears, different exhaust, cold air intake and suspension work. They are most def not 'sticker cars' In fact they used the engine mods and calibration for the 010 GT's..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I thought we were talking the 08-09 Bullitts. They have a different tune, 3.73 gears, different exhaust, cold air intake and suspension work. They are most def not 'sticker cars' In fact they used the engine mods and calibration for the 010 GT's..
My original post was referencing the older 2001/2 generation Bullitt's. The newer ones are better than those versus a standard GT of the same time.

I'm sure peoples definition of "sticker job" can vary, but I was using it to describe a car that has little in the way of real performance gains over the base car.

In the newer Bullit's, they were definitely more of an improvement versus the GT than the older ones were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive