Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
As far as someone saying todays tires don't need rotated, I disagree with that.
Especialy since most cars are frt wheel drive.
The frt tires take the forces and wear of pulling, turning, and about 70% of the braking.
The rears just follow, roll, and do about 30% of the braking if it has rear drum brakes.
It is even more important to rotate tires on frt wheel drive cars than rear wheel drive.
The frts do most of the wear causing work. If you dont rotate, you can almost figure on replacing fronts twice for everytime you replace rears.
I rotate very 5,000 miles just to keep equal tread on the tires. I don't want worn out frts and half worn out rears with different traction and road adhesion qualities. I want all four corners working in tandem.
If you don't believe me, drive a car for 10 or 15k miles without rotating and check the tread depth. Especialy at the outside corners of the tires. You'll see why it is important to rotate.
I haven't rotated tires since the early '70s. Our current stable of an '01 X5, an '02 VetteVert and a '10 Hyundai Tuck. have never had tires rotated. You could not tell which were front or rear, except for the rear staggered wheel sizes on the X5 & Vette, giving it away. My previous set of Vette tires, (oe set), wore out at ~30k and both F&R looked the same. The X5 will wear out rears long before fronts due to acute camber built into rear.

Maybe your cars are different...I'll take a Pasadena on the rotation portion. "Drum brakes"?! Haven't had those in a couple decades, either.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
Default wish i could get done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If they wanted 50 bucks to replace 2 studs they were scamming you. Wheel studs are not rocket science to replace . Over tightening them using air wrenches is bad and will ruin the studs, but its hard to finds a place that doesnt do this. Find another place.
Every were i checked is $80 To $170 4 One stud talk about scamming in Bradenton Fl. & surrounding areas!

Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
By the time they talk to you, bring the car in the shop, get the part, install the stud, back the car out, talk to you some more, deal the the hassle of customers (possibly you) who refuse to pay... the shop has an hour minimum tied up in this job.

You're being offered a fair price. If you don't want to pay it, replace the stud yourself. It's not that hard.

So easy in fact that you apparently think it should be nearly free.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If they wanted 50 bucks to replace 2 studs they were scamming you. Wheel studs are not rocket science to replace . Over tightening them using air wrenches is bad and will ruin the studs, but its hard to finds a place that doesnt do this. Find another place.
There suspose to use torque sticks on their impact guns to avoid overtighting the wheels. And replacing a wheel stud is fast and easy and cheap.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Now if you were having other (preferably related) work done, they might not charge much at all. Say, if you're already having them do a brake job.

But any time you pull a car into the shop even for the most minor repair, you've cost them a man-hour or so. And most places will charge accordingly.

What do you do for a living? Do you do it for free?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
By the time they talk to you, bring the car in the shop, get the part, install the stud, back the car out, talk to you some more, deal the the hassle of customers (possibly you) who refuse to pay... the shop has an hour minimum tied up in this job.

You're being offered a fair price. If you don't want to pay it, replace the stud yourself. It's not that hard.

So easy in fact that you apparently think it should be nearly free.

This is an eight year old thread. I'm guessing the OP has the issue resolved by now. But if the shop has been doing all of the tirework on OP's car, they should be a little more reasonable. Goodwill goes a long way.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Even if they do break the studs , it shouldn't cost more than $20 or so to replace two of them .

If they break them it should cost nothing to replace them.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:12 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If they break them it should cost nothing to replace them.
No it’s not the repair shop fault that someone else cranked the lug nuts on to tight. Boy everyone wants something for nothing.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I read through every post here.
First page has several saying "it's a catwalk job, buck a piece, 20 bucks to replace " and such.

MAYBE. It depends on a car heavily. Some olden vehicles had provision in dust shield, a cut out. You align stud with that hole, take sledge, kick stud out, put new one in, tighten with lug nut.
That's for those cars that actually have simple basic hub in place AND provision in dust shield. otherwise, you have to remove the hub, remove dust shield if possible, or cut out provision in the shield yourself. Been, done.

Front wheel drive or AWD cars have new hub design that, in many case, have stud fully covered by bearing hub. In that case, the ONLY way to replace stud is to replace the entire hub assembly, as you can't press stud out. Simply can't.

That said, I'd be careful with "easy peasy" job description. MAYBE. And broken stud can go very expensive with entire hub replacement.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No it’s not the repair shop fault that someone else cranked the lug nuts on to tight. Boy everyone wants something for nothing.

And if the shop was the only place the wheels were ever removed/replaced as was claimed in the OP?

Personally, I think any allegedly professional tech replacing wheels with an air-gun and no torque control deserves to be flogged with an air hose. Having to pay someone to break something I could break at home for free just pi$$es me off!

Last edited by burdell; 08-08-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive