Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,429,531 times

Advertisements

Back in May of this year I got my Cdl class b license through text exam(General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination, School Bus, Passengers) and road course with a school bus.

Then I went back to the DMV in late June and took the combination written(computer) test and got a class A.

Today I got a letter in the mail saying I have to surrender my license and downgrade to class B(even though I'm already now a truck driver) for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,998,181 times
...for no reason...

I'd like a picture/scan of that letter...

Old 09-05-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
...for no reason...

I'd like a picture/scan of that letter...
Here....
Attached Thumbnails
The Louisiana Department Of Public Safety And Corrections want me to downgrade from Class A to B?-img_20150905_211435.jpg  

Old 09-05-2015, 08:28 PM

25,608 posts, read 17,341,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Back in May of this year I got my Cdl class b license through text exam(General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination, School Bus, Passengers) and road course with a school bus.

Then I went back to the DMV in late June and took the combination written(computer) test and got a class A.

Today I got a letter in the mail saying I have to surrender my license and downgrade to class B(even though I'm already now a truck driver) for no reason.
I never heard of anyone getting a class A without taking the test in the class of vehicle he was being licensed in.
For example: I got my Class A by taking the exam with a licensed examiner beside me while I drove an 18 wheeler. If I had not driven that 18 wheeler for the examiner he would not have licensed me for it.

It sounds like they caught themselves in a mistake. You are being recalled under restriction 63:
Quote:
63 CLASS B PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT. Allows the driver to operate a Class B (GVWR 26,001 and more) and a Class C (26,000 and less) passenger carrying vehicle. This restriction will be used only for CDL (Class A and/or B) licenses with a passenger endorsement.
RESTRICTIONS AND ENDORSEMENTS

You do have a class A restricted. You are not operating legally if you are operating a class 8 vehicle, which is a combination vehicle licensed 46,001 pounds.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,998,181 times
Quote:
Here....
Your issue is as the above poster described.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I never heard of anyone getting a class A without taking the test in the class of vehicle he was being licensed in.
For example: I got my Class A by taking the exam with a licensed examiner beside me while I drove an 18 wheeler. If I had not driven that 18 wheeler for the examiner he would not have licensed me for it.

It sounds like they caught themselves in a mistake. You are being recalled under restriction 63:

You do have a class A restricted. You are not operating legally if you are operating a class 8 vehicle, which is a combination vehicle licensed 46,001 pounds.
I hear you

Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,672,528 times
I'm afraid your thread title is not completely accurate. They don't "want" you to downgrade, they have ordered you to return the Class A license.

I can't tell if there is an appeal process, but if you think that this decision is incorrect you might look into what you have to do to appeal the decision.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:52 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,821,668 times
You took the online test which, upon passing that test I suspect gives you a class A CLP (commercial learners permit) which is good for a certain amount of time. You can drive a class A vehicle as long as there is a class A CDL holder in the passenger seat. Now, you would have to take driving test in a class A combination to retain and maintain class A CDL privileges.

At any rate I would stop into drivers licensing or drivers exam station or what ever agency handles yours license to ascertain what the deal is.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:

There is a reason. You may have to call and find out.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Exactly so, my wife got caught up in such a mistake and the DMV did the same thing. If you didn't drive the Class A vehicle for a test then you are NOT licensed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive