Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Trust me, I fully understand WANT overriding practicality. I've made a few decisions about car purchases that were anything but practical, because I WANTED the car.

The difference was, unlike the OP's friend (it's not the actual buyer posting), I was not a single mother raising three kids and pinching my pennies for years to save up for a car and was really worried about what I would do if it broke since I wouldn't have money to fix it and no other transportation.

Someone in that situation needs to be shopping for the most practical package that meets their needs, not necessarily what they want.
yeah if they need good cheap transportation then that would be a base model 2010 KIA Rio would do the job and have a 5 year powertrain warranty for around $9500

Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah if they need good cheap transportation then that would be a base model 2010 KIA Rio would do the job and have a 5 year powertrain warranty for around $9500
I assumed they needed 7 passenger seating since there were three kids involved and the vehicles they are looking at all feature it. If the kids are older and they don't need the extra seating space and maybe one of the kids could sit up front, they would be far better off with a car and your suggestion is pretty valid since it is new and under warranty.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
The problem is the time.Her old car broke and it is no sense to fix it any more and put money in it.She has a rented car,which cost her a lot every day.She works plus children pick ups and so on,has also no time to get to look for cars.This is what we found close to her place. I will look for a Highlander or jeep.

i have just found hier close a highlander 2002 for 5500...200000 miles..at a dealer...i go look at it,she works.Is this a good price??
Wouldn't it make sense for someone like her to find a more reliable car that will cost less time/money to keep running? I'm not sure why 4-door sedans or wagons were ruled out for a family of 4

Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Not everyone feels car purchases have to be practical, don't you ever just WANT a certain vehicle rather than have a NEED for it? Practicality is all well and good but if everyone was practical, this world would be VERY boring.

Not criticizing you, just the idea that a vehicle purchase should always attempt to be rational instead of emotional. Sometimes you have to throw practicality by the wayside...
Did you actually read any of the statements by the OP about the buyer? We all made/make emotional purchases, but it doesn't seem this person is in much of a position to do so...

Old 10-20-2010, 01:26 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Did you actually read any of the statements by the OP about the buyer? We all made/make emotional purchases, but it doesn't seem this person is in much of a position to do so...
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the practical recommendation/choice may be a better one for this person.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
The fire potential issue on the Expedition should have been taken care of under recall if its the cruise control recall you are referring to.

The Land Cruisers are very nice too... and reliable. Much more $ to purchase than an Expedition though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
Hi,

my friend is a sole mother with 3 kids and would like to buy a second hand car. My husband has no time for advice and i have not much clue in used cars.

Ford Expedition Eddi Bauer 2003....130000 miles 9500 dollars..excellent taken care off
Toyota Land Cruiser 2001...200000miles...9500 dollars

i am reading about break failure in Toyota Land Cruiser..fire danger in Ford expedition..

need your expert opinion.Which one would you buy?...she has no money to lose

Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,882 times
thank you very much for all your answers.She has also parents (7 people total),they all not have too much money,hier in south california people are struggling very bad,maybe worse then somewhere else,because life is so expensive hier.7 people,that is why a bigger car.We saw both cars.It is an Expedition,not the Eddy Bauer,also 2 wheels.....great shape,like new.The Toyota land cruiser has also 4 new michellini tires.
I am european,drive germans cars,these 2 cars seem so big for me. She has not decide yet,she needs to make a decision fast.I would take the expedition,looks like new,but like i said, i have no clue about used cars and american,japanese cars generally.Mercedes and BMW are my favorites and will always be and and a brand new one last pretty long,but they are also expensive to buy and maintain.

We are hier one hour from san diego,could not find too many cars right now.She works weekends too.No time for search,in san diego must be sure more.

Last edited by Buburuza13; 10-20-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,173 times
I would vote for the Expedition. It will haul 7 people in comfort. When you say 'also 2 wheels' I'm going to guess you mean 2 wheel drive. Generally this would be a good thing. Less to break and slightly better millage.

The one thing to look out for is the spark plugs. Have they been changed? The 5.4L motor was more of a problem than the 4.6L. Ford says that you can go 100,000 mile between plugs but don't believe it. I have a 2005 and needed plugs at about 72,000 and I would say they should have been changed at 60,000 based on the wear. At 130,000 I'd hope they have been changed by now. Other than that It's a great truck.

Disclaimer: I have owned Fords, some GMs, one Jeep, Hondas and Toyotas. I like Fords the most.

HTH
Robert

Old 10-22-2010, 05:53 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Expedition for sure, your talking about 3 or 4 years of miles (depending how much you drive) between the two.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
The fire potential issue on the Expedition should have been taken care of under recall if its the cruise control recall you are referring to.

The Land Cruisers are very nice too... and reliable. Much more $ to purchase than an Expedition though.
Agreed. The 03 Expedition is the newer body style and might have gone to drive-by-wire and won't have that cruise control issue by then.

Heck, my 03 F150 was built in April 03 and came from the factory with a better version installed than the plastic POS that burns up...and looking at Ford's recall site, it seems that it is indeed 97-02 that was the issue as far as they list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive