Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times

Advertisements

Do you think the lumber to build your house was hauled by a Prius or a small SUV? I dont think so. Some people need big vehicles to do their job.

Its not your right to try to impose you ideals on me. If you want to own a small car so be it but leave me and my truck that I use to make a living alone or I might just have to park on top of you.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Why do you care what someone else drives your not the one driving it?
Some people actually care about the general welfare of the entire society, and not just about their own selfish personal gratification. But there is no point trying to explain that to anyone who doesn't see it for themselves.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Talking to ignorant people is like talking to a wall. You wonder if a light bulb ever goes off . . . like, duh, oh yeah, It's not just all about me . . .

Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Talking to ignorant people is like talking to a wall. You wonder if a light bulb ever goes off . . . like, duh, oh yeah, It's not just all about me . . .
How about an intelligent response, instead of just making the text purple?

Again, rampant consumerism is what allows you to have a computer that that gets you onto the internet to complain about rampant consumerism. And the wealth of the country built on rampant consumerism is what allows you to afford to live the way YOU want without having to worry about the negative ramifications of living off the land.

You do live in a mud hut and have no car or mass produced products in your hut, right? Other than the computer, that is...

Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Some people actually care about the general welfare of the entire society, and not just about their own selfish personal gratification. But there is no point trying to explain that to anyone who doesn't see it for themselves.
Are you a "do as I say, not as I do" kinda person? Stop wasting energy on your computer. And don't use any plastics or petroleum based products, especially not for health, comfort or convenience.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Are you a "do as I say, not as I do" kinda person? Stop wasting energy on your computer. And don't use any plastics or petroleum based products, especially not for health, comfort or convenience.
The amount of energy used by a computer is much less than driving.

My electricity usage is quite a bit less than the average American. I won't be a hypocrite for complaining about people who use lots of electricity. I would be a hypocrite if I had an enormous electricity-hogging house.

Sure, SUVs and truck are useful to transport stuff. But how many people use them for that purpose? I grew up in a well-off suburb that was full of large SUVs. Mostly they were used to transport their not very large family around or for commuting. The commenter here are complaining about the big for the sake of big not need.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
One area where we're not living as large as we used to is plot size. For two years I've rented an old farm house on a quarter-acre, in an area where new homes are being built on 3,000 sf, and I'm definitely going to miss it...

Old 11-09-2010, 11:51 AM

362 posts, read 392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Real Mini coopers over here, too, and have been for years.

And let's not compare what works in very small countries that have a long history of feudal society to a rather large, spread out nation that the vast middle bit is wide and flat and has zero need of a tiny city car.

How "big" are the cars you see in this image?
Mini coopers in Europe, especially when I was there, are smaller, cooler and more varied than the one's built for fat a## americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive