Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 PM

338 posts, read 613,603 times

Advertisements

Why are there many cars that have red lights on turn signals here in the USA?
Well, in Europe all cars have yellow turn signals, and never red.
Red is hard too know because it's same color as the back lights. Yellow is easier too see.

I would never ever buy a car with red turn signals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
mod cut: orphaned

The Federal regulations simply require either red, amber, or white (I believe) turn signals at the rear of a car while European countries have regulations requiring different standards for automobile lighting including required amber (and possibly white) turn signals at the rear. One thing you see in Japan and Europe is the side marker light near the front doors or on the mirrors. You rarely see that in North American vehicles.

Personal peeve of mine... Cars whose indicators are not separate from the brake lights, so you only have one brake light on when the turn signal is on. You mostly only see that on American cars and trucks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-10-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: thread changed forums

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,796 times
If the light is blinking, that's how you tell if it's a turn signal, whether it be red or amber. Yeah, they probably should enforce this better but I guess it's just something to get used to if you're coming from Europe.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
[quote=Mattias;52156
I would never ever buy a car with red turn signals[/QUOTE]

Silly, since it doesn't matter. In reality it is not the color but the location and motion that matters. I even own an European car in the USA that came with all RED tail lights.( 95 Audi S6)

Old 09-11-2008, 04:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Why are there many cars that have red lights on turn signals here in the USA?
Well, in Europe all cars have yellow turn signals, and never red.
Red is hard too know because it's same color as the back lights. Yellow is easier too see.

I would never ever buy a car with red turn signals
How hard is it to know? In nearly 20 years of driving, I have never been confused about what it means when a red light on one side of the car, and not on the other side, is blinking. I don't know anybody else who has been either.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Yep I too have never been confused.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How hard is it to know? In nearly 20 years of driving, I have never been confused about what it means when a red light on one side of the car, and not on the other side, is blinking. I don't know anybody else who has been either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Yep I too have never been confused.
Neither have I. Why is it that when somebody sees something that isn't exactly like it is in another Country, we are wrong and their way is right? Gets old after a while.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
If the light is blinking, that's how you tell if it's a turn signal, whether it be red or amber. Yeah, they probably should enforce this better but I guess it's just something to get used to if you're coming from Europe.
Unless it's icy and you have to pump your brakes. It's not the color as much as the fact that most turn signal and brake lights use the same bulb. You are behind a vehicle and one brake light comes on. Is he turning or is the light out? Much less a problem if the high mounted center brake light is working. I'm old enough to have driven many years before center brake lights. Changing the color would be safer.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
That does perplex me as well..............why amber rear directional indicators are not mandatory here in the USA.

Piece of trivia here: our 1950's-60's cars sold in Australia, etc. typically had the amber lenses where the backup lights were.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I prefer amber turn signals. I find them easier to distinguish from the tail and brake lights. Now to get drivers to use turn signals what ever color they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive