Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 06:15 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times

Advertisements

30 minutes at a charging station is far too long. My understanding is that it is unlikely we will ever get that number below 15 minutes. It currently takes what 2-3 minutes to fill up your car with gas? I understand at home charging overnight is huge but we’ll still need significantly more charging stations than we currently have gas stations. Government funding for stations gets tricky because there’s no universal charger. I’m surprised that government hasn’t forced manufacturers to use the same charging mechanism. At any rate, building this kind of infrastructure is going to take longer than the transition to EVs itself. What’s the solution to these EV charge time challenges?

Old 09-28-2022, 06:42 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Hot swappable battery packs.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 AM

43,305 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
30 minutes at a charging station is far too long. My understanding is that it is unlikely we will ever get that number below 15 minutes. It currently takes what 2-3 minutes to fill up your car with gas? I understand at home charging overnight is huge but we’ll still need significantly more charging stations than we currently have gas stations. Government funding for stations gets tricky because there’s no universal charger. I’m surprised that government hasn’t forced manufacturers to use the same charging mechanism. At any rate, building this kind of infrastructure is going to take longer than the transition to EVs itself. What’s the solution to these EV charge time challenges?

Figure 10-15 minutes to fuel a car with gas, depending on the tank size.
"2-3 minutes?" Time yourself at next fill up.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Hot swappable battery packs.
Yes, this. I would only consider an EV if I was able to drive into a gas/Power station and in 5 minutes or less swap my battery for a full one. Until/unless that technology comes, the general public in the USA will continue to avoid the EV. Despite the availability of more makes and models, of all cars and trucks on the road today EVs in the U.S are still only at 1%. So far the 2022 new EV registrations in the US are at 4.6%.
Many countries, especially in Europe are selling far more EVs, but then they are much smaller countries without the tradition of the long multi-state road trip that we have here.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:57 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, this. I would only consider an EV if I was able to drive into a gas/Power station and in 5 minutes or less swap my battery for a full one. Until/unless that technology comes, the general public in the USA will continue to avoid the EV. Despite the availability of more makes and models, of all cars and trucks on the road today EVs in the U.S are still only at 1%. So far the 2022 new EV registrations in the US are at 4.6%.
Many countries, especially in Europe are selling far more EVs, but then they are much smaller countries without the tradition of the long multi-state road trip that we have here.
I don't see this happening anytime soon.

For this to be feasible, you'd have to have some type of common platform for batteries. Otherwise, you'd be limited to a specific make or family of manufactures. Sort of what we see with Tesla chargers.

And that is a pretty big undertaking. Not to mention the amount of space it would take up. It's essentially a mechanic bay for each swap station (and all the room for storage/battery charging). Just look how many years it took to finally standardize on CCS as the charging interface. And that is much less complex than batteries and battery management.

That said - a combination of bigger/more efficient batteries (longer range) and faster charging may be the way to go. The charging time is not just battery size specific, but also battery preservation. Meaning you have to slow the charging down as you get closer to full capacity. So even if you have a 1000W charger, it's not going to make a difference as you have to slow the charge down at around 75-80% capacity. However, if that 70% mark is 400 mile range (so ~570 miles at full charge), then it's more feasible for long trips as you can just "fast" charge it to that point. Meaning a 900 mile trip may only need one 15 min stop (rough estimate).

Old 09-28-2022, 02:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I don't see this happening anytime soon.

For this to be feasible, you'd have to have some type of common platform for batteries. Otherwise, you'd be limited to a specific make or family of manufactures. Sort of what we see with Tesla chargers.

And that is a pretty big undertaking. Not to mention the amount of space it would take up. It's essentially a mechanic bay for each swap station (and all the room for storage/battery charging). Just look how many years it took to finally standardize on CCS as the charging interface. And that is much less complex than batteries and battery management.

That said - a combination of bigger/more efficient batteries (longer range) and faster charging may be the way to go. The charging time is not just battery size specific, but also battery preservation. Meaning you have to slow the charging down as you get closer to full capacity. So even if you have a 1000W charger, it's not going to make a difference as you have to slow the charge down at around 75-80% capacity. However, if that 70% mark is 400 mile range (so ~570 miles at full charge), then it's more feasible for long trips as you can just "fast" charge it to that point. Meaning a 900 mile trip may only need one 15 min stop (rough estimate).
You are right, and the weight is the biggest issue. Tesla batteries weigh over 1/2 ton, Leaf 403 lbs., Bolt 960.
The technology has to also greatly reduce the weight for that to happen.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:46 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Rapidly moving something of 1000 lbs out of and back into a chassis wouldn't be that big a deal with proper design. I agree the probabilities are against it, but Tesla have the dominant position in the US so it's conceivable that they could decide to make all their models (or maybe just the big seller) hot-swappable, and other manufacturers would have to follow their standard if they wanted to get in on it.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
what about those TSLA fans on the WeST Coast ,they never seem to complain about charging time??

Old 09-28-2022, 04:01 PM

43,305 posts, read 77,142,685 times
A group of manufacturers are working on designing batteries as structural frame components for the vehicle.
Tesla and some Chinese manufacturers.
https://www.wired.com/story/cell-to-...tric-vehicles/

Cut weight, means longer range.
Range is an issue as much as charging time.

"But what if you could integrate the battery into the structure of the car so that the cells could serve the dual purpose of powering the vehicle and serving as its skeleton? That is exactly what Tesla and Chinese companies such as BYD and CATL are working on. The new structural designs coming out of these companies stand to not only change the way EVs are produced but increase vehicle ranges while decreasing manufacturing costs."

Old 09-28-2022, 04:05 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Figure 10-15 minutes to fuel a car with gas, depending on the tank size.
"2-3 minutes?" Time yourself at next fill up.
10-15 minutes? What the heck are you doing? It never takes me more than 5 minutes to fill my tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive