Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see this?? I'm glad my husband does all of our oil changes himself.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Did anyone else see this?? I'm glad my husband does all of our oil changes himself.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 PM

30 posts, read 134,985 times
That's crazy... and I'm sure it happens at other places other than Jiffy Lube! Us hard working Americans ALWAYS seem to get ripped off by rich corporations!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Can someone give a quick recap? I'm temporarily on dial up ....and it isn't opening for me. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider042678 View Post
Us hard working Americans ALWAYS seem to get ripped off by rich corporations!!!
Jiffy Lube is a franchise system, stores are owned by individuals, so they're gonna vary wildly from owner to owner, store to store, etc...There are always a few good franchisees and a few bad...Speaking of franchises, I'm selling mine - anyone interested ?

Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I just snoped this! It's true! The report was done in California and involved a significant number of franchises. The bad thing is this was the third time they were called on this as a repeat offense after they had promised twice to clean up their act. Nothing was reported about any franchise in TExas....and Googie...you are right, it will vary widely. And I'm sure happens at other franchises too.

The sad part is that we sort of expect service to improve after being exposed. Maybe they figured that out too and decided to ignore it!

RE: your franchise....how do you go about selling a "franchise"?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I stopped using Jiffy Lube when they kept telling me that I needed my transmission fluid changed. They said it was dirty and should be changed at 50,000 miles. I had had it done at the dealer. They insisted it should be done. I told them to show me the fluid...it was clean. They said it looked clean but was old and smelled burned. I told them it did not smell burned and it was shiney and the right color.
Then I showed them the bill from the dealer when it was changed. They just shrugged and walked away.
That was the one Jiffy Lube Broadway inside 410. It is also the last time I go there.
I now go to the dealer for everything. I found out the dealer is actually cheaper, open till 7 and I'm sure the stuff is done. At least they have never given me a reason to doubt them.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
RE: your franchise....how do you go about selling a "franchise"?
It's a MAJOR hassle - lots of corporate hoops for potential buyers/new franchisees to jump through (background checks, financial checks, numerous interviews, heck, even the landlord has to approve the potential buyer, etc.), so I'll just be getting a broker to deal with it most likely. It's gonna be a BIG headache, but I'll be sooooo glad to get out, it's a bad fit for me, BUT it's been a great learning experience, basically my "business school in-a-box" since I have a degree in Radio-TV-Film (and worked in television production for years previously), and knew absolutely zilch about business in any capacity when I bought the place! Anyhoo, next business I buy/start will NOT have anything involving (A) Food or ANY kind (B) Teenage Employees (they steal from me constantly, argh!), and (C) will NOT be a Franchise.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
This is why we searched to find a good, honest, LOCAL auto repair shop to serve all our cars needs. Over time, you build a relationship with them, they know that you recommended them once they have gained your trust, and, ufortunately, they know that there are folks getting taken advantage of by businesses like these that will be in search of a "home grown" mechanic who bread and butter depends on building their business. We have used Potranco Automotive since 1994 and they really look out for their customers. Get to p/u my car today and know that it will have been done right. Hate paying for repairs (who doesn't?) but like knowing that they were done, done right, and at a fair price.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,736 times
I'm going to jerry rig a big old camcorder under my hood next time I take my car in. Make it real noticeable, so they think i'm recording them and I can rest assure that the work is being done. Doh! Maybe put 3 of them duct taped in various spots. And deny everything when asked about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive