Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

This is exactly what I used to do years ago before fwd or AWD in the snow. Made all the difference in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
. The simple solution is to put the automatic transmission in neutral, removing the energy being sent to the rear wheels. Now, the front and rear wheels are being braked evenly and the front wheels are less likely to lock up. I've used this trick in RWD vehicles for 40 years with great success, but probably 99 out of 100 drivers don't know the trick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
lol. ever change the plugs on the last gen F body?? come on.. Push rod v8's are no different to work on the OHC v8's
F-Bodies are the devil, period. Even with an OHC engine, it'd be a complete biotch to get to.

And while working on an OHC is no different than a pushrod, the smaller size of the pushrod engine generally means you have that much more room to get around the engine bay and/or that much more room to stick other lovely go-fast goodies. They're also cheaper to mod since one camshaft is a lot cheaper than 2 or even 4.

Mike

Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
F-Bodies are the devil, period. Even with an OHC engine, it'd be a complete biotch to get to.

And while working on an OHC is no different than a pushrod, the smaller size of the pushrod engine generally means you have that much more room to get around the engine bay and/or that much more room to stick other lovely go-fast goodies. They're also cheaper to mod since one camshaft is a lot cheaper than 2 or even 4.

Mike

I buy the cheaper aspect but they thing on an OHC v8 which is bigger is the heads. And thats only marginally larger.. The over all size of my 3 v OHC v8 in my GT is the same size as an LS series GM motor. No difference.. Here is my OHC motor..
Google Image Result for http://dagostinoracing.com/bmz_cache/d/dd3ae7e0bb21b406cb194dc1a239791c.image.500x422.jpg

here is a GM LS3.. no difference.

Google Image Result for http://themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/2008-chevrolet-corvette-engine-tmr-ls3.jpg

Old 12-18-2010, 12:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
no, only a few think you are incorrect. FWD is superior to rwd in the snow. NO QUESTION..
Actually, I have a question: what if we're talking a mid-engine car? MR-2s look like a hoot when I see them at ice trials.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Of course a "normal" car with FWD is superior on snow. I used to drive RWD cars (no traction control, no anti-skid) as a teenager. I got stuck many times. RWD was more fun to drive on snow, though.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually, I have a question: what if we're talking a mid-engine car? MR-2s look like a hoot when I see them at ice trials.
a mid engine rwd car would be better then a front engine fwd I would think. (did you know that a new Corvette is also *technically* a mid engine car too? The engine is behind the front axle.. )

Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
FWD makes no sense. That is why no race cars use FDW. Its that using the steering wheels for traction is simply bad physics. The more power applied to the wheels the less steering capacity. That is just a recipe for trouble. And, trouble is what you get. Sure, the FWD car takes off a little better on slippery surfaces but under normal conditions one could have any configuration and there would be no problem.

If you have a front wheel drive car, drive slowly, you need the margin of error.

Last edited by Wilson513; 12-18-2010 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
FWD makes no sense. That is why no race cars use FDW. Its that using the steering wheels for traction is simply bad physics. The more power applied to the wheels the less steering capacity. That is just a recipe for trouble. And, trouble is what you get. Sure, the FWD car takes off a little better on slippery surfaces but under normal conditions one could have any configuration and there would be no problem.

If you have a front wheel drive car, drive slowly, you need the margin of error.
That's just factually wrong all the way true.

FWD cars are easy as pie to handle if you go a bit too fast, and no FWD racers? Are you really that ignorant? The small original Minis whooped yank tank racers asses in the corners way back in the 60's.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Of course a "normal" car with FWD is superior on snow. I used to drive RWD cars (no traction control, no anti-skid) as a teenager. I got stuck many times. RWD was more fun to drive on snow, though.
I've been looking at this debate with interest, and finally decided to throw my two cents into the mix.

Your statement isn't entirely true, and neither are other who claim one way or another, regarding FF/FR cars.

There's just too much of a model to model variety to claim one way or another.

Example: My former 98 EDM Corolla hatch, front wheel drive, would get up pretty much anything. That car was a damn mountain goat, if you knew how to drive it. (No TC etc, just ABS, that's it), however my best friends, Volvo V50 1.6d will struggle in places his BMW 318i (both wagons) would drive with ease.

One could potentially say that there's a trend, one way or the other, FWD certainly is more predictable to deal with on snow, and as such, probably easier for people who aren't driving enthusiasts. But as far as pure abilities as winter vehicles go, it's far more accurate to actually look at specific models, not which wheels are driven.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
FWD is a nightmare steering in snow. When traction breaks so does steering. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive