Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:13 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,608 times

Advertisements

Gas prices on the west coast have already hit $4.00 mainly in parts of California, and Oregon most likely will hit $4.00 sometime this week at least for super unleaded at many stations along the freeways. What is your plan or your families plan to deal with this problem, which obviously is worse this time than we have seen in the past several years of rising prices. It was much faster this time, and has gone higher than ever, and is still going up to the tune of 12 cents in just a 24 hour period yesterday. Will you take heed to this problem or just continue paying even if it was $6.00 per gallon. Will this situation make you plan ahead if you are moving, and now feel you might need to live closer to your job rather than a long commute? Will u decide to purchase a more ecomincal vehicle or keep that big SUV. I decided long ago to use transit and walk where I could, and use my vehicle less and less, Im glad I did, this gas problem is not affecting me so much, I don't need to buy gas but every 5 or 6 weeks. It will affect all of us in our grocery bill soon as the fuel charge for delivery trucks to stores is placed on our grocery bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:07 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,374 times
When gas was $2 per gallon, didn't we say? or when it was $3 a gallon?
$3 per gallon tonight, and I drove to Chicago and back.

Grocery bills have been going up for the past several years already.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:04 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,813 times
Well after I cuss a lot, & a few fits, won't be much you can do but accept it for what it is and move on.

I have to make a few runs south & one north which is gonna hurt real bad, need to get down to sc in the next month or so too which means even more fuel.
I got rid of my boat several years back when gas starting going up, cut back on driving, I need my truck so it's not going bye bye for sure, need my trailer it's not going either, had my sights set on a newer diesel dually but that's fading fast, just not a lot I can do as of right now.

Trucking industry fuel costs are just going to be passed on to us lil peons as with all oil related products, a lot of the independents are going to be forced out of driving for themselves and have to go company if they want to keep driving, people are going to be spending even more for fuel which in turn cuts even deeper into the ol paycheck then the trickle down effect starts showing up as it did before in the economy, less money being moved about on consumer goods, industrial inventories will start to pile up, less industrial supply spending, the fed may try to lower rates to spur the economy, earnings may go down in companies resulting in market downturns, those that commute long distance will either have to car pool like sardines or move closer to employment, the low income that are just getting by now may be taking a closer look at just chucking it all in and let the government supply their income.

How much will it take to break the camels back who knows, but to look on the other side of the coin who knows it may spark new fuel efficient vehicle sales, open new markets for additional research into fuel & related industries, all those that moved a good distance from work years back may head back into the cities, housing will take another turn, bump up the economy a little, but when all the dust settles yup we’re gonna get the short end of everything time after time.

A guy could go horse & buggy but boy in the winter wheww that would be rough, but if one went that route then you would hear about how there’s a shortage of available horses & buggies, hay would go up in price, then the animal rights people would start chiming in on things, the DMV would be restructured into a new division called DHB(dept of horse&buggy) charging high fees for horse tags, then add in the dept of manure which will naturally raise taxes for manure clean up, but hey somebody has to clean up this mess

Old 04-29-2007, 02:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
im always paranoid getting behind a truck pulling a horse trailer LOL Can you imagine if in a covertable with Horse Dung a flying

Old 04-29-2007, 06:18 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,393 times
I will most likely dish it out, as we love to travel and prolly always will, but yes it out of hand and I feel bad for people who live paycheck to paycheck too.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
My husband and I drive fuel efficient 4 cylinder cars and work locally. We fill up 3 - 4x per month, and only that often because our jobs involve a small amount of local driving (which we get reimbursed for). We buy gas at the cheapest stations.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
We have cut back on many of our expenses and plan our errands. Our commute isn't very long and since we work together, we often car pool.
I could really go off on a tangent about fuel, fuel prices, fuel alternatives, but that wasn't the question. :-)

Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 AM

389 posts, read 3,539,454 times
We're just going to suck it up and pay it. My husband and I both had hybrid vehicles for about 2 seconds and we are back to almost exactly the same vehicles we have before. Though I have to say, my husbands accord hybrid was a great car and super comfortable, if Honda ever makes an SUV with that system, I would buy it, but I had the escape hybrid, it was ok, but I just didn't like it enough to keep it forever...I think the same would have applied to a non-hybrid 4 cyl. escape though...who knows?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,198 times
My house is for sale and gas prices are a big reason why. 3 of us travel 30 miles one way to work, we are looking to move closer to our jobs, between the 3 of us, we spend close to $175.00 a week for gas. We live in a rural area, the closest small store is 6 miles away.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I am about to go on the road, and the continued increase in petrol has been of great concern. I try to find the best price in each town, and when I am in a settled situation I generally try to do all my chores at one-go and keep my petrol costs down. When living in rural NM, I managed in a tourist town with high petrol costs, to limit myself to about a tank per week/16 gallons.

I am also thinking about trading in my car, and getting a more fuel saving vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive