Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times

Advertisements

I seriously think Obama and the Congressional Dems have been conned by by GM and Chrysler. How can you reduce carbon emissions (which is one of their major goals) by reducing the cost difference of a gas guzzler and a Prius?

FTR this has only been proposed, but it makes about as much sense as Cap and Trade, which is now only awaiting 60 Senate votes and Obama's autograph. The current Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, with similar rates for each state - here in Kentucky you can add 22.5 cents per gallon.

Currently gas where I'm at is $2.38, it would only be $1.96 cents w/o any gas tax. If a Dodge Ram was taxed the same per mile as a Pruis the difference in price to drive 100 miles would fall by $1, from $9.79 to $8.70 cents.

Would this make you more likely to get a larger vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,641 times
What is a mile meter?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
^^^^ in a nutshell, Big Brother would know how many miles you drive and tax you based on that data, as opposed to the current method of taxing the gasoline you buy.

to answer the OP's question: i likely wouldn't even take it into consideration when buying the vehicle.

i DO like the concept of charging for actual USE of roads, but i DON'T like the idea of someone monitoring my car. if it were just based on an odometer reading, OK, but we all know that an odometer is entirely too easy to tamper with to make that happen.

Mike

Old 07-05-2009, 06:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,641 times
I wonder how exactly the US goverment would keep track of my miles driven, someone going to come to my house with meters for my two vehicles made before I was born and install them?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I wonder how exactly the US goverment would keep track of my miles driven, someone going to come to my house with meters for my two vehicles made before I was born and install them?
i don't see how they could do it with anything less than some sort of mandated black box on every vehicle. no thanks!

Mike

Old 07-05-2009, 06:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
What is a mile meter?
Odometer

Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
NC has already toyed with the idea of having an annual mileage tax in addition to one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. For now it appears to be dead, but with budget issues it could quickly be implemented, the state is trying to tax damn near everything currently, including getting something repaired under warranty.

This would be based on the odometer reading recorded during the annual vehicle safety/polution inspection. That would also give the state the ability to tax you on miles driven in other states or countries.

Other states have looked at a GPS solution, which is already being built into many vehicles now (a.k.a. GM's OnStar). It would take but a mere software upgrade, which could be done without your knowledge or permission for your vehicle to "phone home" every month and report the miles driven that month. This option seems very dangerous, as it could also report *_where_* you have been in a very Big Brother manner.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Don't kid yourself. Since the gas demand is down the gas tax revenues are way down.The fed wants the money and its likely to stay that way for sometime. Basically they need the same amount whether you get 20 or 50 miles per gallon.That is whyas the fleet of vehicles gets more MPG they want to switch to mlies uasage tax.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times
None of this is about "CO2". If it really were, they'd let the domestic auto industry die. If they were really concerned, they wouldn't propose bills that move pollution rather than deal with it. This is all politics and profit (the two go hand in hand, either side of the isle).

Honestly, nearly everything we touch, eat, wear, drive and use and everything that keeps us comfortable is tied to fossil fuels.

If we were interested in CO2 and ridding ourselves of fossil fuel, we would pour billions upon billions of public funds into real energy solutions (and no, I don't mean food-based fuels, wind turbines, solar farms or tidal energy either those are all like a tiny bandaid for a patient who's missing his head).

Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I seriously think Obama and the Congressional Dems have been conned by by GM and Chrysler. How can you reduce carbon emissions (which is one of their major goals) by reducing the cost difference of a gas guzzler and a Prius?
Because...carbon emissions aren't really what the gubmint is all about.

The gubmint knows who's buttering their bread and it's just a simple dog and pony show.

When have you seen Nancy Pelosi out on a hike? Sure, she might deserve to take one of a different sort...but that's or another thread/day/time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive