Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM

78,395 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are small children any more precious than larger children or adults when it comes to auto safety? A human life is a human life.
Only if the small children are handicapped or otherwise stunted in growth. Then they only count fractionally in the case of a fatal accident.

Just yesterday, a bus carrying little people crashed in Iowa and there were 3.68 fatalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I hated the minivan image until we bought one for our daughter. They are actually really neat. Until the minivan we always had full sized vans or SUV/Pickup.

I was amazed whe I had the mini at Home Depot and was able to fold down the seat and easily slide in five sheets of plywood and five sheets of drywall. Just dont buy a tree at the same time.

The minivans are much easier to drive and to park. The SUV is nice because you are up high and can see over other vehicles. SUV's usually have better pickup (acceleration) some of them are rockets. Minivans have a tighter turning radius and hoold a corner/curve better.

WEhen you get into the "pregnant station wagon" Aka crossover, there is less difference between them and a minvan. A Traverse is basically a minivan with less headroom and slightly more passenger room. (and a better engine)

Storage space is about the same (as long as you get the slightly bigger minivan like the Grand Caravan - the regular minvans have almost none). SUVs generally have bigger seats, so they have no more storage space, puls you can stack things higher in the minivan. THe big SUVs have much more space IFF you remove the seats.

The chrysler minivans are really easy to convert to hauling. Often I am out somewhere when the need to haul comes up (i.e. visiting my brother and he says "Do you want this old TV we got a new one). With a minivan at least Dodge, you do not have to remove the seats, they fold flat and/or disappear into a hole in seconds. with SUV's you usually have to plan ahead and rmeove the back seat and leave it in your garage.

SUVs can tow. Minivans cannot, not really.

Very few minivans have 4 wheel drive.

Minivans are much easier to get in an out of, but a big SUV is much more comfortable on a long trip.

You can do ok with two kids in a sedan, but you will frequently wish that you had more space, or you will end up taking two cars. With two kids, you will often be bringing 5 or more kids along with you when you go places. We have 5 kids, and when they were younger, 12 was a typical number for any excursion (so we had to take two large vehichles). Even with just two kids, if you want to take grandma and Grandpa somewhere with you, you need room for six. A few sedans can uncomfortably cram six inside, but it can be pretty unpleasant if you are going any distance.

Minivans and full sized vans have much more room to sleep if you need to sleep inside your vehicle (something that come up with some frequenscy, especially now that the kids are teens. One daughter would arrive at work an hour early to avoid traffic and then just sleep in the car for an hour).

While I like the ideas incorporated into the Dodge minvans much better than any other brand, they come with their own problems. If you buy a used one made before about 2005, set aside $1800 for a transmission rebuild. Lots of other things seem to break as well, but then they are much more plentiful and far cheaper than other brands. If you buy a new one, they suposedly solved the transmission problem, but we looked at the new ones, and they look really chintzy to us.

By the way, The Dodge Durango and the Traverse and its sister vehicles are almost the same vehicle. They are only a few dollars differnt in price. The Traverse has a few more storage pockets and get 1 mpg better mileage. However the Durango offers a 390 HP 5.7 litre Hemi. If you want a SUV rocket, that may be the better choice.

All of the 6 plus passenger vehicles get about 15 to 20 MPG. I dod not see that it makes any difference which one you get in that regard.

For your size of family, you could also consider a pickup. You cna easily haul four or five people in a four door pickup and have plenty of room for stuff and dogs in the back. Plus if you want to buy a tree, or some drywall or a big tool, you are all set.

I have never felt that the type of car that I drive is likely to provide any signficant advantage for safety (unless it is 4 wheel drive). If you are in a head on collision, or hit by a train, you are probably going to die regardless of what type of car you are in. It is very very rare that an accident severe enough to kill you will not kill you if you have a different type of car. It is more important to drive carefully, stay off the phone, and wear your seatbelts, than it is to drive a particular type of car. I know one mother who always picks cars by safety ratings to "protect her children". She chastises us for driving such unsafe vehicles as a full sized conversion van or giving our daughter a used Dodge Grand Caravan. Then she drives around with her kids talking on the cell phone and even texting.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 19,484 times
get an SUV, i would recommended a Chevrolet suburban, or a Ford Expedition EL. SUVs have as much room as a minivan, can tow a big trailer, they look good, they sound good, and they don't have a negative stereotype!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoort View Post
get an SUV, .... and they don't have a negative stereotype!
Where have you been? They do indeed have a negative stereotype. The stereotypes shouldn't matter though. They should buy what they want and not care what others think.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Suburban is nice, probably the nicest option. Surprisingly, there is not all that much difference in gas milage. But price? Do you have $60,000 for a car?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 21,400 times
Default Minivan all the way!!

I bought a 2011 Dodge Caravan, best decision I ever made. I was looking at a kia sorento with 7 seats, but it was pricier and the 3rd row didn't look very useful/no cargo room. I already own a Jeep compass and have a 3 yr old and a 10 mth old. their two car seats take up almost the whole back seat, so that person with 3 kids and the fit has to be avoiding some car seat laws because there's no way you can fit two car seats and a third kid in the back. I don;t know how many cars i see where people don;t have the car seats in right just so they can compromise and keep a small car. i had a kia rio5 which is the same size as a honda fit and the front seats had to be cranked all the way up, there was no where to put stuff for 4 of us. so i upgraded to a minivan. whats the point of a car that can hold 4 or 5 people and not all of their cargo? I stow the seats in the ground and it becomes a 1/2 ton cargo van, don';t need to remove the seats or store them anywhere. i use it to get lumber and anything large, don;t have to borrow anyones pickup truck. and the towing capacity of most minivans is at par with most 7 passenger suv;s. and i think the fuel efficiency of a van is better than having to drive two separate cars somewhere. i like how thats the first question people have about a car. how is it on gas? how about how is it on functionality? no point in good gas mileage if it isn't useful. weee i can drive 60 mpg just myself and a grocery bag!!! and i don't know what people try to hide when buying a large suv over a minivan, yeah i got kids and they require me to haul a lot of **** just to go to the store. that's my rant on why minivans are the best option for a family(even just two adults ad two kids), it leaves room for the grandparents!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
sliding doors... nothing worse than having to back out of a spot because someone parked too close and you cant get your kid+carrier in the door.

i just learned to park farther away but not always possible.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 AM

506 posts, read 958,395 times
Growing up my family always had minivans. We had three that I remember. I never liked minivans and wanted my mom to get a SUV instead. I used to think they were "cool". :P

Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I'm in the Minivan camp. I prefer 'sport' versions (Stiffer suspension, bigger brakes / tires, cooling, handling package)

Minivans are MUCH, MUCH SAFER for occupants, and MUCH cheaper to operate (brakes, tires, fuel, and especially INSURANCE).

Their utility, visibility, and ease of use are another HUGE plus.\

My last one did 199,000 miles with only repair being a $12 water pump at 180k, and a set of plug wires at 120k (and of course a transmission $900 @ 156k...). I know many who get 200k w/o a transmission replacement, but they are the 'lucky' ones. (Dodge curse of the A-604)

Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with tow package can tow 3700 lbs, so some minivans can tow enough stuff. This is good enough to tow Uhaul's 6 x 12 trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive