Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

OK, so I know jack about automotive electrical systems. Yesterday I went to jump-start one of my cars with the other car. It jumped just fine and I drove it around for an hour and a half with no problem. Shut it off, and 10 minutes later it wouldn't start. So I went to jump it again today, started up just fine... but then when I took the jumper cable off, it died instantly. Jumped it again, same result -- started and ran just fine until I took the cable off one of the battery terminals. Is this a problem with the battery or the alternator? Or could it be either/both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,887 times
Sounds to me like its the battery, but I'll leave it to someone more mechanically inclined to make a diagnosis. Just wanted to say that if you take it to a place like Autozone, they offer free testing and will tell you if it's a bad battery or not.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Probably the batt is very drained, could be the alt. bad too. The way it's supposed to work is the batt powers everything and the alt. keeps it charged.

How many volts does the batt have w/o the cables on it? Should be 12.4 when fully charged.

p.s. could always just run the batt and the alt over to Idiotzone and have them check both.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
Sounds to me like its the battery, but I'll leave it to someone more mechanically inclined to make a diagnosis. Just wanted to say that if you take it to a place like Autozone, they offer free testing and will tell you if it's a bad battery or not.
Kinda hard to get it there if it won't run. [ETA: Doh -- you mean the battery, not the car ] Fortunately there's a shop down the way who will pay for towing as long as there's at least $100 worth of work to it. And a battery alone would do it. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into because it will be a few days before I can get it there.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
You need a new battery. Your current one is 100% dead and won't hold a charge.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You need a new battery. Your current one is 100% dead and won't hold a charge.
I sure hope that's all there is to it.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Souhnds like the alterntor is out;not charging the battery(which may already be damage by being discharged if not deep cycle type;and the laterntor is suplly elctricity once the battery power is removed. That is why you can jumo start a car with dead battery and it then runs on alternator whch also charges the battery. Have it tested.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 AM

365 posts, read 1,401,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Probably the batt is very drained, could be the alt. bad too. The way it's supposed to work is the batt powers everything and the alt. keeps it charged.

How many volts does the batt have w/o the cables on it? Should be 12.4 when fully charged.

p.s. could always just run the batt and the alt over to Idiotzone and have them check both.
You kinda messed that part up. Once the vehicle is running the alternator provides power to the electrical system, not the battery. You can run a car all day once it's started, without the battery... but you can't do the same without an alternator.

To the OP - Chances are the alternator is the problem... hence your vehicle running fine once it's piggy-backing off of the other car's charging system. I'm sure the battery took a beating though so you'll probably need a new one of those too.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,928 times
alternator

Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I had the same thing happen a few years ago.

I always thought that, once started, the alternator would produce enough juice to keep it running. I replaced the battery and never had any more trouble.

I've since learned that a battery that is shorted internally can do this...apparently the alternator juice dosn't get through the battery to the engine electricals required for the engine to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive