Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times

Advertisements

GM recalls midsize cars to fix transmission cables

The recall for cars this old 2007-2010 is waiting to long for reporting a danger ! ! !

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors is recalling nearly 474,000 Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn cars to fix a transmission problem that can cause the cars to ...............

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,908,374 times
Yeah. Mine already got replaced at about $350. They extended the warranty on the part to 120K and mine already had about 130K when it went. Perhaps if it gets recalled maybe I'll get compensated for it....

Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times
To basically roll it out of park.

GM reports 4 known crash, no known injuries.

Government has a report of 7 crashes and one injury.

This post is worse then a commercial for the 11pm news "Find out what local beverage in your fridge has cyanide in it!, tonight at 11" Watch the show and see its some obscure thing no one buys, and its such a small trace amount its barely detectable and has no effect.

GM recalling nearly Chevy, Pontiac and Saturn 474,000 cars | General Motors news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Quote:
General Motors is recalling nearly 474,000 Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn cars to fix a transmission problem that can cause the cars to roll away unexpectedly.

The recall affects 2007-10 Chevrolet Malibus, Pontiac G6s and Saturn Auras in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as well as a small number of exports. All of the cars have four-speed automatic transmissions.

GM says part of the transmission cables can break. That can cause the shifter to show that the car is in park when it's really in gear.

GM says it knows of four crashes from the problem but no injuries.

Dealers will put a retainer over the end of the cables or replace them. Owners will be told by letter when to set up appointments with dealers.

The problem was discovered as GM gathered data for a U.S. government investigation of a similar problem with transmission cables on the same cars.

GM spokesman Alan Adler said that as part of the recall, dealers will put retainer covers over both ends of the cables to fix both problems. In some cases, the whole cable will have to be replaced.

The government began investigating the cars last year after getting reports of seven crashes and one injury.

In March 2009, GM recalled about 277,000 vehicles for a similar shift-lever problem.

At that time, the recall involved 2009 model-year versions of the Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu and Traverse; GMC Acadia; Pontiac G5 and G6, and the Saturn Aura and Outlook.

Only 75,000 of the vehicles had been sold, with the rest still at dealerships.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
To basically roll it out of park.

GM reports 4 known crash, no known injuries.

Government has a report of 7 crashes and one injury.

This post is worse then a commercial for the 11pm news "Find out what local beverage in your fridge has cyanide in it!, tonight at 11" Watch the show and see its some obscure thing no one buys, and its such a small trace amount its barely detectable and has no effect.

GM recalling nearly Chevy, Pontiac and Saturn 474,000 cars | General Motors news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Yeah, mine rolled a bit and nearly ran over someone in the process. Almost doesn't count, I guess.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,732 times
Recall and transmission are usually not two words you want to see together.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Yeah, mine rolled a bit and nearly ran over someone in the process. Almost doesn't count, I guess.
Reread the original post, it doesn't even say what the effect of the recall is, it actully says "that causes cars to.....".

Doesn't say wheels fall off, cars catch ablaze, they go flying out of control, they explode when rearended, but actually says ......

Don't get me wrong its a problem and a good thing GM is fixing it. But a car rolling a little bit? Come on, its an issue, but not the end of the freaking world.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM

I wasn't mad at you , I was merely mentioning that mine rolled as well...I'm mad at GM. They extended the warranty to 120K right after mine went, but mine had over 120K already. Now with the actual recall, I need to find the receipt from the transmission shop so I can be reimbursed for the repair.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
What? How could this happen.. GM promised us scouts honor that they were now making the best cars in the world and people on this forum swear that they go 300.000 miles....someone is full of BS. Too much talk about how good the cars are and not enough effort to actually make them that way....Talk is cheap lol

Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
What? How could this happen.. GM promised us scouts honor that they were now making the best cars in the world and people on this forum swear that they go 300.000 miles....someone is full of BS. Too much talk about how good the cars are and not enough effort to actually make them that way....Talk is cheap lol
Who is selling competing cars that don't occasionally need a recall or are perfect? I have yet to find them.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I knew someone would repeat this on this forum.

Several months back I made this observation:
//www.city-data.com/forum/24925146-post20.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive