Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Volvo used the VW 6 banger diesel in the 240 series as well. Actually a VW truck motor.
Cool! I didnt know that. I read that some were really reliable and could go hundreds of thousands of miles, while some suffered headgasket woes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,200 times
Wasn't the Acura Vigor a 5 cylinder?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
An inline 5 is much smoother (less vibration) than a 4, yet smaller than a 6 - this allows it to be mounted transversely in the engine bay when a 6 would be too long, among other benefits. V engines like V6s and V8s are different btw.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,384 times
yes i would like to know that too

Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
So many people close to the answer, but nobody takes the points !!

The simple reason is that a 5 cylinder is physically smaller than a 6 cylinder, and because of the design, a piston is on a power stroke something like every 144º.

Thus, on every rotation of the engine, there is always one cylinder on a power stroke.
Therefore the power is much easier to transmit out.
It gives more power than a straight 6, but is comparable in economy to a 4.

Henry Ford had messed about with a 5 cylinder way back in the 20's or 30's, but it was for a small car which he decided there wasn't a market for a small car.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Good answer, bobman.

I'll still take the straight 6, 4.0 in my 91 Wrangler any day of the week though.

Meh...I guess it depends on what I'm up to. lol

Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
So many people close to the answer, but nobody takes the points !!

The simple reason is that a 5 cylinder is physically smaller than a 6 cylinder
Not necessarily. In fact they're more difficult to package than a comparable V6 because the block is longer.

Quote:
and because of the design, a piston is on a power stroke something like every 144º.

Thus, on every rotation of the engine, there is always one cylinder on a power stroke.
Same for a 4-cylinder -- twice per revolution in fact.

Quote:
Therefore the power is much easier to transmit out.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
It gives more power than a straight 6
All else being equal... no it doesn't

Quote:
but is comparable in economy to a 4
Possibly.

There's really one primary purpose of a 5-cylinder: to split the difference between the power and smoothness of a 6-cylinder and the fuel economy of a 4-cylinder. Any more it's hardly a difference worth splitting which is why there so few manufacturers still using them. Volvo, Volkswagen/Audi, GM in a handful of compact trucks... that's about it.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Good answer, bobman.

I'll still take the straight 6, 4.0 in my 91 Wrangler any day of the week though.

Meh...I guess it depends on what I'm up to. lol
I've heard great things about the straight 6, 4.0 that u mention. People claim that it's damn near bullet proof. What makes this engine so great? I'm thinking about getting an early 90's Cherokee with the same engine and using it as a winter beater.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I've heard great things about the straight 6, 4.0 that u mention. People claim that it's damn near bullet proof. What makes this engine so great? I'm thinking about getting an early 90's Cherokee with the same engine and using it as a winter beater.
My sister had a 1981 Mercury Capri with the turtle slow Ford 200 CID inline 6 cylinder. She hated the car because of how slow it was and that everything on the car broke (except the engine). In fact, her future husband hated it so much he intentionally drove it hard to try to brake the engine. Never could even though he accidentally blew the engine of an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (the one made like a Chevelle). She didn't realize the value of such an engine until her next car, an Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad4. Her husband was regularly replacing the head gaskets.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why not?

The main purpose of a 5-cylinder is to provide more power/torque than a 4-cylinder with better fuel economy than a V6, essentially splitting the difference.
I don't think it matters if there is an odd number of pistons turning the crank since they just go up and down.

My wife's '09 Jetta has a 5 cylinder, seems to run smooth except when you start it cold it seems kind of noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive