Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 58,973 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever imported a car to the United States from Europe and registered it here with a regular tag?

Documents (purchasing contract, proof of ownership, etc.) would be all in German
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Start your homework here.

Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements

Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Yes... my military friends do it often...

The key is some European Manufacturers will sell a US Specification vehicle for European Delivery with all stateside warranties in place.

Military and Diplomats can make the purchase in Europe and the rest of us do it mostly through a US Dealer as is the case with Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, Audi, BMW, etc.

I did import a 1939 motorcycle I picked up in Austria without any difficultlies because none of the safety or emission requirements apply to a vehicle so old.

For late model, non US spec vehicles the compliance costs can quickly make the venture a no go...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
To import a car less than 25 years old there are many limitations and other than factory european manufacturer delivery programs that allow you to pick up a US spec vehicle, drive it around europe a bit and then send it home to your local dealer or buying a car that is not going to be licensed for the street, your options are very limited or non existent and costly.

Probably if you said what you wanted to import, that would make it easier to help you.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
For late model, non US spec vehicles the compliance costs can quickly make the venture a no go...
I imported a car during the Gray Market days. During that time the cost of coversion, shipping ,import taxes and the car were less than buying the actual car in the US. The biggest problem was parts.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I imported a car during the Gray Market days. During that time the cost of coversion, shipping ,import taxes and the car were less than buying the actual car in the US. The biggest problem was parts.
I knew people that did it successfully in the mid 80's with Mercedes vehicles.

Maybe, you can answer this... is it true that the imported is now responsible for California Smog compliance just like regular importers?

The grey market vehicles I see have data plates stating the name of the importer certifying compliance...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Maybe, you can answer this...
Nope. I brought in a Porsche, amongst other cars for a friends business, in the early 80's into NY and it was a few thousand to convert it. As far as I remember a NYS rep came to us once we finished all the cars conversions and gave us notices of compliance so they could be registered. But yes most of the cars imported were Mercs and Beemers during that time since the laws had so many holes in them. The only thing I remember about CA is that I knew that some people had to install manual adjusters on their dashboards due to driving at different altitudes.

Quote:
Yes... my military friends do it often...
Yes. It is one of the fringe benefits of being present or past military. I have numerous baked goods come in nearly freshly baked to the base nearby.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 03-27-2011 at 05:09 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,368 times
I live in a city with a NATO Air Force training base, so there are a lot of Europeans here and I see quite a few non-US cars running around here. I don't know if they're bringing them over on some sort of temporary agreement or what. Just yesterday I saw a Seat minivan and I used to see a Smart car running around here a couple years before it was even announced they were going to sell them here.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
In Bellevue, WA the dealerships selling Mercedes and Volvo offer this service.
You can go and pick up your vehicle at the factory, drive it while on vacation
there in Europe and then when you fly back the car is shipped over to be here soon after you return. They take care of all the details.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
In Bellevue, WA the dealerships selling Mercedes and Volvo offer this service.
You can go and pick up your vehicle at the factory, drive it while on vacation
there in Europe and then when you fly back the car is shipped over to be here soon after you return. They take care of all the details.
But you're not importing a European-spec car. You're still buying a US-spec car that was built for the US market. There's a HUGE difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive