Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

I ripped through Paris in an original Mini. Does that count?

Last edited by Jezer; 04-05-2011 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I ripped through Paris in an original Mini. Does that count?
I'll count it. Does "ripping" through as a passenger on a tour bus count for me?

Probably not.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
This short film caused a lot of controversy at the time of its making back in the 1970s.

It's a high speed drive through the streets of Paris (the one in France ) early one morning.

I put it here without comment;
Did he do that in my '38 Citroen 11? Notice that was produced by the same guy who made "A Man and a Woman" a few years earlier.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
This short film caused a lot of controversy at the time of its making back in the 1970s.

It's a high speed drive through the streets of Paris (the one in France ) early one morning.

I put it here without comment;

YouTube - C_était un Rendez-vous.flv
I have a really hard time believing this wasn't staged. When are the streets of Paris -- a city nearly as densely populated as Manhattan -- ever this empty during daylight hours?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have a really hard time believing this wasn't staged. When are the streets of Paris -- a city nearly as densely populated as Manhattan -- ever this empty during daylight hours?
It wasn't staged, the director was almost arrested when the film premiered. It was filmed very early in the morning right at daybreak. What most people don't realize about Paris even at that time is that the main commercial center is not in the downtown. The main business district lies on the outside of the city. If you get up first thing in the morning in the heart of Paris, it is rather empty as it is mainly residential and tourist in that area.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It wasn't staged, the director was almost arrested when the film premiered. It was filmed very early in the morning right at daybreak. What most people don't realize about Paris even at that time is that the main commercial center is not in the downtown. The main business district lies on the outside of the city. If you get up first thing in the morning in the heart of Paris, it is rather empty as it is mainly residential and tourist in that area.
The first night I was in Seoul, the streets were packed and bustling. But when we got up the next morning and went out to look for coffee, we couldn't find any---it was deserted. When I lived in the French Quarter, I walked to work in the morning, and I could walk down the middle of Bourbon Street---there was nobody about.

There is an extensive article in Wikipedia about this film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%27%C3...un_rendez-vous

There are comments about the film in the message boards at IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169173/combined

There's a detailed technical analysis of the film which shows that a top speed of 136 mph was attained, at the 189-second mark of the actual running. That would be at about 3:30 of the YouTube counter, shortly after the bus pulls out..

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/Rendezvous.shtml

Last edited by jtur88; 04-08-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
It's also fair to mention that this was a while ago, and I'm sure it might be harder to do it again today, as Paris, like most cities are feeling the results of more cars per capita.

That said, people do stunts like these all the time, it's just a matter of not really caring about the law nor any potential consequence.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I've driven through a deserted City of London in the early hours of the morning on more than one occasion. It was a few years ago and I wasn't looking to break any speed limits and it was a woderful experience to seemingly have the place to yourself! Oh, and there was no congestion charge in those days!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The main business district of Paris is in the center, not La Défense.
There are nearly 1 million jobs in Central Paris, especially near the Opéra and the Champs Elysées.
The heart of Paris has much more jobs than inhabitants and most of these jobs are not tourist related.

At 5 a.m streets are empty in any city.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
At 5am the streets in my city aren't empty enough to do that without killing yourself and/or someone else. And it's not nearly as dense as Paris. Maybe people just start stirring a little earlier here. Or maybe it's because my city is laid out in a grid pattern where you cross a major thoroughfare at a minimum of at least every mile, often every half-mile. Definitely not conducive to "fk it all" bonzai runs like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive