Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 AM

298 posts, read 948,402 times

Advertisements

Can you guys tell me how long I should go before my first transmission fluid change? I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and a 2011 Rav4 just purchased. How about tune-ups? How long can they go between tune-ups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
You need to look in your owners manual. It will tell you everything you need to know about changing fluids and tuneups.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The word "tune up" is pretty much an anachronism, referring to the old mechanical distributor points that had to be changed periodically because of spark buildup on the points, lubrication loss in the rotor, weak condenser, etc.

The only part of a "tune up" that remains is the spark plugs and wiring. Those can't be done on a mileage schedule, because the deterioration of both are subject to conditions that can be highly variable from one car or driver to another.

If you feel that your car is starting or running sluggishly, and there are no fault codes, have the spark plugs looked at and check the spark plug wires for insulation gaps that allow spark to escape. Plug fouling can be a result of the quality of the fuel you are using, or larger eventstaking place in your engine as it ages. Wiring can be affected by weather extremes, exposure to fluids, or even animals getting under your hood and chewing them. Any of those can happen much sooner tha the recommended tune-up interval, which nowadays is I think around 100,000 miles.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:30 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
there are no traditional 'tune up's' any more on new cars. Ya change the plugs(there are not more plug wires either) every 75k or so miles.. Thats it.

Change the trans fluid every 40-50k miles

Old 04-02-2011, 05:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Most plugs can go 100,000mlesw now. transmission really depdns on service because heat is it enemy. I change at 25000 just to be cautious.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Most of the time your engines computer will alert you to the need of a "tune up" Its called the check engine light.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
Can you guys tell me how long I should go before my first transmission fluid change?
From the Honda Accord 2003-2005 Service Manual, page 3-5:
“Replace automatic transmission fluid at 120,000 miles or six years, then replace every 90,000 miles or five years.
Capacity 2.8 L; use Honda ATF-Z1.”

Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Most of the time your engines computer will alert you to the need of a "tune up" Its called the check engine light.
Doesn't that go on from an odometer command, and has nothing to do with anything except alerting you that your odometer had reached a certain number of pre-set miles?

It's actually called "the %#@&# check engine light".

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 AM

10 posts, read 87,722 times
Honda calls for a 120,000 mile / 6 year interval change; however, many Honda owners and technicians go by the 30,000 or 60,000 mile mark. And please do not take it somewhere that may hard flush the transmission (it could cause trouble), just simply drain and re-fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Doesn't that go on from an odometer command, and has nothing to do with anything except alerting you that your odometer had reached a certain number of pre-set miles?

It's actually called "the %#@&# check engine light".
I think you may be getting confused with the "maintenance minder" light. If the check engine light comes on do not ignore it.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not necessarily. Sometimes there is an algorithm involved that takes into account outside air temperature, individual trip duration, driver's driving style, etc. as well as total miles driven. From Chevrolet literature on their change oil now light:
The beauty of the GM system is that it automatically adjusts the oil-change interval based upon engine characteristics, your driving habits, and the climate in which you have been operating your vehicle. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between required oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short-trip driving in a cold climate may limit the interval between oil changes to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people who combine city and highway driving find that the GM system will indicate the vehicle needs an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. Most people maintain consistent driving habits. This means their mileage between required oil changes will be consistent.
BMW is another car builder who uses a complicated algorithm for their service engine now light that is based on more than just total miles driven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive