Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 29,438 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy 4x4 truck from hail damage sale- no flood damage- is it better to go to dealership directly or to insurance auction? I am in IN near LOU, KY. I am willing to travel to TN and OH for the right mid size truck. Has anyone seen any of these ads on their local dealerships or know where to find insurance auctions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 29,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You would be surprised at how much money "lot damage" costs a dealer every year.

With the bumpers the way they are, a very minor scuff will still require a $200 repair. With the closeness of the inventory, door dings are common.

I would say that %5 of new cars sold have had some very minor paint work.

Only damage over $500 needs to be disclosed.

No big deal.
I was shopping for a Mazda a couple of years ago and I picked the one I bought not because or its color or number of miles compared to the other 20 on the lot just like it, but I picked the ONLY one I found that did not have door dinges or scrapes already in the paint. I was amazed at the rampant damage to NEW cars- my car had less than 2 miles were the others had 10-20 miles- so I guess mine had not gone for any test drives before me

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,788,467 times
Maybe I want a car with Hail damage. Myth busters had an episode there they added clay to a car so they could dimple it like a golf ball. First they added clay to the car and molded it like a regular car, then they dimpled it like a golf ball. Believe it or not it was 20% more fuel efficient then the car without the dimples. They even put the clay they dug out to make the dimples in the clay into the back seat so the car had the same weight.

Now hail damage isn't exactly the same effect as a golf ball dimpling, but if they made a car with dimples in the sheet metal all over the car that got 10% better gas mileage, I would buy it.

Last edited by TechGromit; 03-07-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
I work for a tinting company at a new car dealership and in the process of taking a new car from the lot to the tint shop located on site I accidentally damaged the car an estimate of $2000 was given to repair the vehicle and the dealership is telling me that I must pay $500 for the damage. Doesn't the dealership have insurance to cover this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive