Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times

Advertisements

When so many of the cars of the late 50s through 70s were almost 20 footers in length
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,520 times
Because they only had ONE family car and not 3.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Cars were much smaller at one time. The house I grew up in had garages so small that only one person stored his car in it and it was a Model T which was at 4 - 5 feet shorter than my compact car.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
They only had one car.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,768,688 times
I think a lot of old homes that were built in the early 1900's had the Model t's and Model A's and that would fit.

Some of the old garages have a bump out add on in front that was probably for the newer, longer cars that were made as time went by.

My house was built in 1900 and the only thing left is the garage driveway. None of my cars even fit on that so garage was pretty small.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
It depends on when the house was built, houses that were built with a one-car garage, like what others have mentioned, these houses were built at a time when most families had only one vehicle.

Also, at one time they were not called "Garages", but Carports, and they were not enclosed by 3 walls and a door. Those house were built at a time when security was not an issue and you didn't have to worry about getting your vehicle stolen. I know here in the Phoenix area, they didn't start building "car garages" and putting garage doors on them until sometime in the late 1960s or the early 1970s.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,768,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It depends on when the house was built, houses that were built with a one-car garage, like what others have mentioned, these houses were built at a time when most families had only one vehicle.

Also, at one time they were not called "Garages", but Carports, and they were not enclosed by 3 walls and a door. Those house were built at a time when security was not an issue and you didn't have to worry about getting your vehicle stolen. I know here in the Phoenix area, they didn't start building "car garages" and putting garage doors on them until sometime in the late 1960s or the early 1970s.
One reason they did not have many enclosed garages was cause it did not snow there. When I lived in Orlando, FL a lot of house's just had carports. But here in Nebraska mostly enclosed garages and also carports. I don't know for sure about this but makes sense to me.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Cars were much smaller at one time. The house I grew up in had garages so small that only one person stored his car in it and it was a Model T which was at 4 - 5 feet shorter than my compact car.
But cars in the 50s-70s were huge...

Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM

568 posts, read 2,419,368 times
My tiny garage has a little less to do with what it was like when the house was built and more to do with changed made after it was built. My house was built in the '50s and originally had a 2-car garage. A previous owner took in half of the garage to expand the living room. The biggest issue is that they took the wall all the way to the frame of the garage door, leaving a very small 1-car garage. I park my single cab fullsize GMC shortbed truck in the garage. I have aftermarket mirrors on it that are smaller than stock. I park with the passenger mirror about 1/2" off of the right wall, which leaves me just enough room to open the driver's door and sqeeze my fat gut out of the truck. I have about 18-20" to walk down the driver's side of the truck. Even worse is the single-panel flip-up garage door. The arms on the door protrude into the actual door opening, making that opening smaller than it should be. I have those arms wrapped in foam pipe insulation so I don't rip the paint off my mirrors on the chance that I bump one of them. I squeeze the truck through the opening with about 1" total space between the left and right sides. I really need to replace that door with a normal multi-panel roll-up door.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
But cars in the 50s-70s were huge...
My parents had those huge cars back in the 50's and big as they were they did fit in the small garage.Mom and Dad at the time didnt have much stuff like people do today so the car always fit, todays garages for the most part have no room for cars as they are full of boxes of stuff, bet every garage these days has a jolly jumper somewhere in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksqWRqEfy0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive