Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Israel on business, and here before you get a green light, you get red and yellow flashed together for a split second. It gets you ready to go without really giving you enough time to run the light. Seems to work really well and keep traffic flowing better. Does anywhere in the states do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
That does sound like a fantastic idea. US road systems focus more on safety than anything else... its annoying. Are the intersections there very good at traffic detection?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
They don't do it up here. Matter of fact, our lights are red in both directions for 2 seconds before one turns green. We call it "Snow slide light".

If the 2 tenths of a second makes or breaks them getting to work on time, they need to leave home earlier.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That does sound like a fantastic idea. US road systems focus more on safety than anything else... its annoying. Are the intersections there very good at traffic detection?
I haven't been behind the wheel yet, but it doesn't seem like there is traffic detection in most places. In California there are sensors everywhere so after dark, they behave like stop signs unless you're going in the primary direction..

Old 05-01-2011, 04:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
A heads up about Traffic lights here in America, if you have the green light dont assume the guy who has the red light is going to stop, i'm seeing more and more people just blow through red lights and stop signs these days,

Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I think in the Netherlands, there is a timer on the red light, that ticks down to tell you how soon it will change to green. Considering how many Americans are sitting at red lights texting or changing clothes or terrorizing their children in the backseat, or cleaning up their spilled coffee, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Do some traffic lights in San Francisco still audibly ding when they change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

If the 2 tenths of a second makes or breaks them getting to work on time, they need to leave home earlier.
It's not about the two seconds that a single driver is delayed, It about the four seconds (two each way) that traffic is stopped in all directions, out of the 40 seconds of each cycle, which reduces by ten percent the maximum amount of traffic flow an intersection can handle without backups. Which is a critical consideration during rush hour, because it increases by ten percent (which is compounded, like interest) the amount of backlogged traffic at each traffic light, which all adds up cumulatively to the total delays in a commute.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-01-2011 at 05:08 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think in the Netherlands, there is a timer on the red light, that ticks down to tell you how soon it will change to green. Considering how many Americans are sitting at red lights texting or changing clothes or terrorizing their children in the backseat, or cleaning up their spilled coffee, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Do some traffic lights in San Francisco still audibly ding when they change?
I don't know about that. When I'm driving in the Bay Area and sitting at a stoplight, I'm trying to watch the other lights to see when they turn red. In some areas the walk signals are audible, as a guide to blind pedestrians.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,566 times
That won't work here in LA where soooo many ppl are distracted with emails, txting & now the whole freakin WWW on their smartphones. Not a day goes by where I or someone else doesn't have to honk to get the attention of drivers who view red lights as legitimate timeouts to check messages. I even know one idiot lawyer who spends his time in bumper-to-bumper traffic composing emails on his crackberry to pad his billable hours!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
I haven't been behind the wheel yet, but it doesn't seem like there is traffic detection in most places.
The traffic detection is primarily on the highways. They look like overhead sign holders, but without the signs. Most interections are roundabouts so brush up on entering and leaving one and correct use of signals. My company gets me an Isuzu dmax so I feel at home while I'm there. Driving through Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are probably the worst for traffic congestion that comes to a near stand still.

If you do get behind the wheel and come up to a red light, watch for the load of mopeds/motorcyles that all pull in front of the all the cars.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Lots of Europe goes Red-Yellow-Green. The yellow gives you time to put the car in gear (manual transmission).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive