Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,728 times

Advertisements

wondering what can be going on?........Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
With limited information I would guess a loose wire connection to your oil sender guage.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,563 times
fuse could be going out. Have someone look at it

Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
fuse could be going out. Have someone look at it

A fuse does not do that. It either worls or not.. Id say your oil level is low. I know you checked it but I still say its low

Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Either the oil psi sensor (for the oil dummy light) is going bad, the wire from the sensor to the oil dummy light is grounding on something (dummy lights usually work on the principle of a ground) or you have an oil psi issue (can be caused by worn main bearings).

Best thing to do at this point is install a mechanical oil psi gauge (that's accurate) to the engine and drive the car like you typically would. The rule of thumb is 10 psi of oil per 1000 rpms of engine speed.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
When was the oil last changed ?

Low oil pressure at idle could be a sign the oil is breaking down and too thin to lubricate properly.

I'd advise trying not to use the vehicle until you find out.

Better to be safe than sorry. If you keep driving and it's not a simple fault then you'll cause more damage

Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,728 times
Default Have oil changed every 3000 miles....Changed on regular basis......van has 158000 miles on it and is maintained.....

good ideas and thanks

Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
My " Change Oil Soon" light has come on even though I had the oil changed 1,000 miles ago last December. The level looks right at the top so I didn't add any. It even looks good, not dark.
Should I wait another 2,000 miles and 3 months or so or try to reset the oil sensor? I remember its pumping the brake with the ignition key in.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
If the OP's "oil light" is the typical Oil Pressure Warning Light, and not a light telling him to change his oil, then he/she is woefully misinformed if he/she thinks that this only portends a low oil level.

When an Oil Pressure Warning Light starts lighting up on your dashboard, it should not be taken lightly. Yes, the first thing to do is to check the oil level, but if the oil level is normal, then the next step should be to have the actual oil pressure measured by a competent mechanic. (Please note: Competent does NOT include the likes of Pep Boys, Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, Firestone, or any other chain operation.)

If the engine's oil pressure is actually low, the OP risks serious damage to the engine's bearings and other sensitive areas of the engine. If the oil pressure can be verified as being in the normal range, then it is likely that there is merely a loose electrical connection at the oil pressure sensor. For the OP's sake, I hope that this is the case!

If the engine's oil pressure is low, that could be the result of a failing oil pump, although that is a very rare occurrence. More likely causes of low oil pressure include excessively worn bearings or a build-up of oil sludge on the oil pickup screen and/or in other parts of the engine.

Yes, I know that the OP claims that the oil is changed on an appropriate schedule, but I have found many folks whose driving patterns actually mandate that the oil be changed according to the Severe Service maintenance schedule, but their adherence to the "regular" maintenance schedule caused engine damage as a result of sludge build-up. If this vehicle is driven primarily in local, short-trips, the oil should be changed on the basis of elapsed time, rather than on the basis of odometer mileage, and there are cases of vehicles that are driven only locally where the oil should be changed every 4 months, regardless of how few miles the vehicle was driven in that timespan.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
Either sensor is fubar or your oil pump is clogged/going out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive