Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 AM

242 posts, read 533,915 times

Advertisements

How often should you replace your tires? I got new tires in Jan 07 and they have a little over 40,000 miles on them. Is it time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,506 times
Too many things to consider to give you a mileage number. The general rule is replace the tires when the tread depth is less that 2/32 of an inch. Many tires these days have wear indicator bars molded in. When the thread is worn down to those bars it's time to replace them.

A quick and easy way to check is using a penny. Stick the penny in the thread. If you can see the top of Lincolns head you should replace the tire. Do this check on a couple of different places across the thread face as some tires don't wear evenly.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
When they go BAng and fall into multiple parts.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Tires are usually replaced when they wear to the wear-bars or just before that point. Maybe you need someone to inspect your tires with you to evaluate wear. Depending upon the type of tire, the average inflation, and type of driving tires last from 15K to 60K miles.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
When they're worn out, be that the thread or due to a lot of hairline cracks.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Too many things to consider to give you a mileage number. The general rule is replace the tires when the tread depth is less that 2/32 of an inch. Many tires these days have wear indicator bars molded in. When the thread is worn down to those bars it's time to replace them.

A quick and easy way to check is using a penny. Stick the penny in the thread. If you can see the top of Lincolns head you should replace the tire. Do this check on a couple of different places across the thread face as some tires don't wear evenly.
In addition to the good info in the quoted post a to little known age limit for tires.........
" Three digit code on a tire made before 2000. This tire was made in the 17th week of 1999. If your tire shows a three digit code whether new or old DON'T USE IT! If it's on your vehicle REPLACE IT! Such a tire is already ten years old or more and can kill you and your family."

Your Tires May Be A Ticking Time Bomb

Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Good advice so far. If the tires have adequate tread life, have worn evenly and aren't too old, then there is no need to replace them.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When they go BAng and fall into multiple parts.

funny! haha but seriously, thanks everybody!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Tread wear is probably unequal, unless you scrupulously keep them in alignment and properly inflated and rotate them. Chances are, there is more (or less) wear near the center of the tread, than near the edges. Measure the thinnest tread. If there is more wear near the edge, you are underinflated, if there less near the edge, you're overinflated.

To check for "cupping", gently stroke the treaded surface of the tire with the palm of your hand stroking along the circumference. If you detect that the tire "grabs" you hand more in one direction than the other, it means your wheels are out of alignment. Unless your tires are brand new, you will probably feel a slight amount of difference in the grab, but it it's severe, you need to think about front alighment, and maybe also rotating your tires.

I would say if you have run your tires 40K miles and they are not visibly bald or running road-noisy or otherwise screaming "change me", and are wearing more-or-less equally, you have had pretty good luck and your car is wearing them satisfactorily. They are not necessarily in need of changing, merely because of the age or mileage.

There is an inverse relationship between the mileage rating of a tire, and its capacity to hold the road. High mileage can only come from one factor: hard rubber, and your traction will be better with soft rubber, so that is your tradeoff.

Personally, I buy the cheapest tires I can get. For the price of one 40K tire, I can get two 25K tires, have softer traction, and have new tires twice as often. But I'm a cheapskate, too, and that factor needs to be taken into account in evaluating my advice.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-25-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM

They haven't been giving my any problems and lasted fine through the winter. I've been driving the car since 05 but just officially took over the title in december from my dad so now i'm responsible for all of the repairs. I know he bought the tires new in 07 and has rotated them and all that stuff that I know nothing about. I had a flat last August but its plugged up and hasn't given me any problems. I will probably wait a few more months to get new tires, but definitely before the winter again. Thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive