Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What? Do you really have to ask? Bring a bumper from a 1960s car into a chrome plating place and see how much it costs to have it re-chromed. Yes, there is less chrome due to safety reasons but all that plastic sure is ugly (and cheap-looking).

Chrome is definitely style. And it looks great when it's in good condition. If it's not wanted today, that just means bad taste has taken over good taste.

Do you think the front end of this '69 Cadillac would look better if it had a bunch of ugly plastic instead of beautiful chrome?
Everything you say in this post is personal preference/opinion, not fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Everything you say in this post is personal preference/opinion, not fact.
Which just shows that I have good taste!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Chrome is definitely style.
I misread Merc's post about this. Yes, chrome is not in style. That doesn't mean it does not look good. Lady Ga Ga is in style; does that mean she is an excellent singer and performer? No, I think it means society's taste has gotten worse!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:09 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Chrome will/might be around for years, but it will never be as prevalent as it was in years gone by and you will pay dearly for it. It really has nothing to do with taste.

The chrome and other plating process's has an environmental mine field for many years and National and International environmental agencies has put some pretty strict regulations in place to curb/reduce plating. Plating companies had to step up to the plate and spend a lotta bucks if they wanted to remain in business.

They days are long gone where you could open a grimy dirty plating shop, dump your highly toxic wastes that are used in the plating process in the sewer and contaminate the water supply and land fills.

Stringfellow Acid Pit come to mind.

Stringfellow Acid Pits

Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Yes, chrome is not environmentally correct. Thank God there are '50s and '60s (and some '70s) cars around so it can be appreciated and enjoyed.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Which just shows that I have good taste!
With what authority can you objectively argue this point?

Quote:
I misread Merc's post about this. Yes, chrome is not in style. That doesn't mean it does not look good. Lady Ga Ga is in style; does that mean she is an excellent singer and performer? No, I think it means society's taste has gotten worse!
Lady Gaga meddle in Popular Culture and Pop Music. Pop Music is not made with the intent of being timeless/lasting, it is meant to work/be useful in it's time. Sometimes Pop music withstand the test of time, but Pop music/culture does not need to do so to be good within it's genre.

Most authorities on music will argue that, as far as Pop Music go, Lady Gaga has produced some good songs. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a sign of a deteriorating culture, there was plenty of poor popular music in the 50s, 60s and 70s as well, if judged outside it's genre, that doesn't necessarily mean it was bad pop music.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcoast911 View Post
OK, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. I currently own a 2005 Honda Accord with chrome doorknobs and other accents. I have been test driving some vehicles with more plastic than ever. Really? Plastic doorknobs? I'm not just talking Hondas and Fords, I mean Volvo's too! These cars are void of any chrome!

I am just not impressed with the interiors of several of todays cars. Very depressing. Rant over.
I don't miss chrome. I miss metal, but even the "chrome" has been plastic on cars for a very long time.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
With what authority can you objectively argue this point?
Because I remember when cars had styling. Not plastic front end/bumpers, bug-eyed headlights and weird-looking taillights. I remember when the cowl area, just in front of the windshield, was metal, not cheap plastic. I remember when a Ford or a Chevy looked like an American car, not a copy of a Japanese car. I remember when the bottom of the door sill had a strip of metal, not a strip of plastic. I remember when many cars had a choice of 20 exterior colors, not 6 or 8 colors. And I remember when there was a large choice of interior colors; many modern cars give you only 3 choices... black, gray and beige.

Quote:
Lady Gaga meddle in Popular Culture and Pop Music. Pop Music is not made with the intent of being timeless/lasting, it is meant to work/be useful in it's time. Sometimes Pop music withstand the test of time, but Pop music/culture does not need to do so to be good within it's genre.
Now that is your opinion!

Quote:
Most authorities on music will argue that, as far as Pop Music go, Lady Gaga has produced some good songs. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a sign of a deteriorating culture, there was plenty of poor popular music in the 50s, 60s and 70s as well, if judged outside it's genre, that doesn't necessarily mean it was bad pop music.
Let's see how she stands the test of time. My prediction is that she will be looked upon with humor, not admiration.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
OMG. My '57 Jaguar XK-120 Saloon. Leather seats. Wood steering wheel. Wooden dashboard, maybe mahogany. I can't think of anything in that car that was made of plastic. Wait, I think the overdrive toggle was plastic, because it was translucent and glowed from an indicator light when switched on.

You don't get in that car, you put it on like an old sweater.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OMG. My '57 Jaguar XK-120 Saloon. Leather seats. Wood steering wheel. Wooden dashboard, maybe mahogany. I can't think of anything in that car that was made of plastic. Wait, I think the overdrive toggle was plastic, because it was translucent and glowed from an indicator light when switched on.

You don't get in that car, you put it on like an old sweater.
True, in a '50s car, you actually have to search hard to find any plastic in the interior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive