Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
On the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique the fuel pump can be accessed by taking out the back seat. I don't know if other manufacturers have worked that into their designs or not, but it seems brilliant to be.
Actually most import cars have the "hatch" under the seat, while many Detroit designs, maybe because the parts carried over from the days of carburators, have the pump installed in the tank, then the tank installed in the car.

What CJ talks about does not have to be a hack job at all. If one makes a clean cut, cuts out the hatch right where it needs to be, paints the bare metal edge (any color of touch-up paint can be brushed on, this will be hidden under the seat anyway) and then make a cover, screw it on - can be done neatly.

On many pickup trucks, it's actually easier to lift the bed off than to pull the tank (assuming you don't have a bunch of tool boxes, etc. bolted to the bed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you don't feel or see any difference in engine performance or fuel use, the problem can be caused by one of several components. There are code readers you can purchase (around $100.00) that tell you the possible causes of the problem with the engine. According to your OP, Autozone told you that the problem was with the "Evap System." So, have the codes read one more time, and concentrate on what the code numbers tell you before working on the pump. Leaks from the evaporative system (the canister and lines, for example) cause "fuel smells" around the engine bay, and even around the car.

By the way, gasoline fuel pumps are relatively cheap compared to diesel fuel pumps, although labor is high most of the time. Some of these diesel pumps, just the part, cost over $1,000, and some of the parts and labor can cost over $3,000 (look at the diesel pump work of some of the RAM and Ford trucks)
When I had the code read I was just told that it could be anywhere from a loose gas cap to the fuel pump, to a vacuum seal in the engine. Basically anywhere the fuel reaches.

I have not noticed any difference when driving except the check engine light being on. Before it came on I was getting the estimated 17-19 mpg, and since it came on I drove it from Texas to Indiana, and several trips back and forth between Indiana and Illinois and haven't had the mpg change, or any fuel smell. The Honda tech said they could smell fuel vapors coming from off the fuel pump, that was why they wanted to replace it. On the phone they said there was a crack, but on the writeup they gave me it just said there was smell of fuel vapors, possibly caused by a bad fuel pump or O ring.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Business.
You use two anecdotes of a couple of crappy Detroit designs to condemn the entire auto industry. That just doesn't fly with me. All I said was things have changed since 1973. What worked for your 38 year old car is not going to be right for a modern car, specifically it's fuel pump. Every car is about compromise between what the engineers can design, what the factories can build, what the suppliers can supply, what the bean counters will approve, what the government will federalize, what the marketers can sell, and ultimately what the public will buy. You of course have the benefit of hindsight to come in years later and deem every poor choice as a money making scheme. I guess that's why the Japanese weren't able to conquer the American car market in the 80s and 90s because Detroit made so many hard to fix expensive designs that made them oodles of money and kept loyal buyers coming back again and again? Oh wait...

Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You use two anecdotes of a couple of crappy Detroit designs to condemn the entire auto industry. That just doesn't fly with me. All I said was things have changed since 1973. What worked for your 38 year old car is not going to be right for a modern car, specifically it's fuel pump. Every car is about compromise between what the engineers can design, what the factories can build, what the suppliers can supply, what the bean counters will approve, what the government will federalize, what the marketers can sell, and ultimately what the public will buy. You of course have the benefit of hindsight to come in years later and deem every poor choice as a money making scheme. I guess that's why the Japanese weren't able to conquer the American car market in the 80s and 90s because Detroit made so many hard to fix expensive designs that made them oodles of money and kept loyal buyers coming back again and again? Oh wait...
I use two easy to recall anecdotes, because they came to mind without too much effort. There are dozens if not hundreds of examples.

My father was an engineer involved in design for GM and related to me how this would happen. They would design something that was better and then be told that they had to design it worse because GM wanted to sell a certain part. When they were told to make things not last so long, it was a bit more subtle, but the message was conveyed. Dad told me that they are capable of making engines that will basically last a lifetime, but they do not want to. It would be a disaster for them.

This is not all in the past. They still make cars with features designed to fail or to be inaccessible. The fuel pumps are a perfect example. There is no reason for them to be located where it will be so costly to replace them. The crummy shock absorbers and batteries they put in most new cars is another perfect example. Better shocks and batteries are avaialble, but they do not use them. They usually exclude or limit the warranty on shocks and batteries. Door Hinges on Chevy Express Vans and the GMC version (Savannah?) are another example. They sieze up in about 5 years. Everyone knows this. Other hinges are available that do not do this, yet for more than ten years, they continue to use the ones tha sieze up. This allows them to sell a lot of replacement hinges. IF I thought about it for a while, or did some research, I could come up with a list of a hundred or so examples. I am not really interested in making that effort for one person's edification. I will accept that you disagree and thing that the automakers are just complete idiots rather than purposefully designing parts to fail or using crummy parts where better ones are available for the same price, or designing difficult and costly repair items where an alternative is obvious or even used on other vehicles.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I use two easy to recall anecdotes, because they came to mind without too much effort. There are dozens if not hundreds of examples.

My father was an engineer involved in design for GM and related to me how this would happen. They would design something that was better and then be told that they had to design it worse because GM wanted to sell a certain part. When they were told to make things not last so long, it was a bit more subtle, but the message was conveyed. Dad told me that they are capable of making engines that will basically last a lifetime, but they do not want to. It would be a disaster for them.

This is not all in the past. They still make cars with features designed to fail or to be inaccessible. The fuel pumps are a perfect example. There is no reason for them to be located where it will be so costly to replace them. The crummy shock absorbers and batteries they put in most new cars is another perfect example. Better shocks and batteries are available, but they do not use them. They usually exclude or limit the warranty on shocks and batteries. Door Hinges on Chevy Express Vans and the GMC version (Savannah?) are another example. They sieze up in about 5 years. Everyone knows this. Other hinges are available that do not do this, yet for more than ten years, they continue to use the ones tha sieze up. This allows them to sell a lot of replacement hinges. IF I thought about it for a while, or did some research, I could come up with a list of a hundred or so examples. I am not really interested in making that effort for one person's edification. I will accept that you disagree and thing that the automakers are just complete idiots rather than purposefully designing parts to fail or using crummy parts where better ones are available for the same price, or designing difficult and costly repair items where an alternative is obvious or even used on other vehicles.
I am positive if your dad was a beancounter or a CEO for GM he MIGHT have a different point of view, story or opinion. It couldn't possibly be that he is biased in any way, right? The fact that GM almost went down the drain for such a practice should be proof enough that this isn't the only way cars are built and the Japanese, the Germans and the Koreans do the same thing and I seriously doubt this same mission statement is the driving force at GM today. Hinges, shocks, blah blah - irrelevant. We are talking about getting at a fuel pump in a modern car, no more no less. You don't have to waste any more time trying to convince me that a 38 year old Jensen represents the apex of technology in the entire automotive world.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yeah, the good ole days......unbolt a 20 dollar pump off the engine and slap the replacement on. Now.......yikes.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,655 times
FOR THE OP: Did you have any aftermarket stereo work "professionally" done? What on earth would that have to do with anything, you likely ask. Well, we had the evap leak issue after a $1600 (parts/labor) install on our 2008 Lucerne. Two separate GM delearships found holes drilled in the fuel tank through the trunk floor. Installer balked at paying the $1800 repair bill so we'll see their *sses in small claims court.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Look under your vehicle for the fuel tank, then try to look on top of it, you might need a mirror but it can be done. You'll see some wires coming of the top of your tank, that's your fuel pump. Now figure where that is in relationship with inside your vehicle, and see if there is a hatch for acsess to the pump. If so open the hatch and look at your pump. See for yourself if there are vapors coming off. If you do see some, replace the gasket or o-ring, your pump sounds ok as you have done some traveling with it. To replace the pump or gasket just 1. disconnect your battery. 2.disconnect the wires from the pump. 3. remove screws holding down pump. replace pump and or gasket, then do the same steps in reverse to reassemble.
Oh and if there isn't a hatch look and see what's holding the tank in, alot of times it's just two straps, loosen straps and drop tank. Close to empty tank that is.....

Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Did they use a smoke machine to test with and was the code 1456. My 2002 crv had that code
and it was the fuel tank that had the leak and labor etc was around 1000 at dealer.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, the good ole days......unbolt a 20 dollar pump off the engine and slap the replacement on. Now.......yikes.
$20? Heck, the last mechanical fuel pump I bought was something like $9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive