Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:43 AM

169 posts, read 550,537 times

Advertisements

hello all......it just turned 100k and only has one problem. a while back, the intake area started leaking antifreeze and ruined a couple of sensors and really crudded up the throttle springs. this has been a common problem for this model and we put the new recommended intake parts on and replaced the sensors.

the springs have been sprayed with carb cleaner and then lubricated with motor oil, but every so often they will not allow the accelorator to go back (especially when its hot)

should i change them, oil more often, pray every time i get in?

my wife loves this car as its the only car she doesn't get carsick in. i'm a carpenter with no automotive repair talent so any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 AM

please and thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Does the car have throttle body fuel injection? If so the throttle body plate may be hanging up (throttle bore contamination). CRC makes a throttle body cleaner. Take a look and see if it looks like it's gummed up on the inside. If so try cleaning it. Just be careful of the sensor inside. Don't scrub it, just spray it. Also have you changed your PCV valve. A back-flow of the PCV system can result in oil depositing directly onto the throttle plate. Just don't use carburetor cleaner on it. Throttle body cleaner only. Good luck to you.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
exhdo1 speaks knowledge. Your throttle plate is probably gummed. Exercise caution when using the spray throttle cleaner. It is flammable. Best way is to hold the throttle open with your hand while spraying it in. You will sense the engine choking down, and when you do, open her up a little more to suck that crud down. It may smoke some, and it WILL stink, so please make sure you are outside or have good ventilation.
I would also recommend adding a can of SeaFoam fuel treatment to a full tank of gas.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 AM

thx Ex and El.........i appreciate your help and your taking the time to do it

Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,453 times
Default more problems with 97 Bonneville...

Hello,
I'm having problems with my 97 Bonneville as well. It's a great car but it seems to only work when it wants to in hot weather. In the winter it drives like a dream.
I'll be driving along in the heat, 3 warning dings/bells sound and the car shuts off a few seconds later. If I wait 15 or 20 minutes, it'll start again. The gages do not show that it is overheating.
Am I pushing too hard on the accelerator? (I do have a heavy foot)
Thanks for your help,
CC33

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I have seen people run seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line. It'll smoke the neighborhood up for about ten minutes but people swear it helps.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc33 View Post
Hello,
I'm having problems with my 97 Bonneville as well. It's a great car but it seems to only work when it wants to in hot weather. In the winter it drives like a dream.
I'll be driving along in the heat, 3 warning dings/bells sound and the car shuts off a few seconds later. If I wait 15 or 20 minutes, it'll start again. The gages do not show that it is overheating.
Am I pushing too hard on the accelerator? (I do have a heavy foot)
Thanks for your help,
CC33
Yours probably needs to be on a computer and have the codes checked.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,453 times
Default thanks for the tips

I had the Ignition modual changed and it has helped so far. Only one time since that she hasn't wanted to start. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate all the help!
CC

Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
Seafoam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive