Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM

380 posts, read 1,230,038 times

Advertisements

I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu that has 130,000 miles on it, found out that it needs 4 new struts. 2 tire rods and a 4 wheel alignment. cost is around $1100 is cheapest I could find in town. I dont want another payment but its another classic what should you do?

Its been a good car other than those problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Seems a little high, but that is normal, routine maintenance that would be pretty normal for a 12 year old vehicle. If it's been paid off 5-6 years or more you have saved the cost of a car payment all those years, so $1,100
for this is relatively little.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
How much do you still like/enjoy the car? It's only worth about $2,000 and all of those things you list are just normal wear and tear, repairing them isn't going to add to the value of the car. If you still like the car and will drive it for a while yet I think you should fix it up. If you're tired of it and want something else I would trade it in before spending that money and put that $1,100 towards buying something else.

I recently traded in a 2005 Kia with 100,000+ miles that needed about $2,500 worth of misc repair work, (windshield, tires, brakes etc) done for a full size truck. I'd put every one of those miles on it and was tired of driving it. So for me it was worth spending the money towards something I wanted to drive to get out of something I no longer did.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu that has 130,000 miles on it, found out that it needs 4 new struts. 2 tire rods and a 4 wheel alignment. cost is around $1100 is cheapest I could find in town. I dont want another payment but its another classic what should you do?

A 12 year old car is not a classic in any category. I am guessing this is not the first issue neglected.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:

I would get rid of it if I had the money to make payments on a new car. Those are some of easier to fix and cheaper parts that tend to go bad on high mileage cars; sounds like it's only the beginning of you repair headaches.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Invest in $15 Haynes manual, go buy the parts, and make a day of it. Seriously, working on cars ain't rocket science and if you get yourself in trouble there are a plethora of make/model related websites with great how-to advice, pics included.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM

380 posts, read 1,230,038 times
I didnt neglect it... Im thinking struts go out on there own? I dont know enough about tire rods. we dont hot rod them at all.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Quote:
I didnt neglect it... Im thinking struts go out on there own? I dont know enough about tire rods. we dont hot rod them at all.
I believe the general rule of thumb is jack up the car on the front side you want to check. Grab the tire at the 3 and 9 oclock positons and try to move side to side, if there is excessive play it's your tie rod ends ( not the entire tie rod, that's some pretty hard -azz steel, so IMO, it's unlikely you need new tie rods, it's the ends that go bad. Grab the tire at the 12 and 6 oclock positions, try to rock back and forth , excessive play , it's probably your ball joints.

There are some nuts you have to loosen, (in my case I knew I had a bad outer tie rod because the wheel would wobble excessively , like I had a bent wheel). I bought a new one $10 or $15 I think it was, but it needed grease, didn't have a grease gun so I stopped by a mechanics place and they injected it with grease for free. Before I loosened the nut I marked it with a piece of duct tape ( to get a rough idea at to where to tighten it back up in place) the aftermarket tie rod end was slightly longer thean the original so I had to account for that on my tape placement. Long story short all these armchair mechanics said no you better take it a shop , this is your steering your playing with...it's dangerous blah blah , blah. Never did get an alignment afterwards ( although you should). I let go of the wheel on flat paved road and it doesn't veer of to the right or left, goes straight down the road and monitered the tire wear, no problems there either.

I'd for the heck of it , get a list of what the mechanic said you need and see what the parts store would charge for the items and if it's only $300for the parts I'd do it myself.....$1100 seems kind of high to me.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
A 12 year old car is not a classic in any category. I am guessing this is not the first issue neglected.
Please re-read the OP's post. The OP said the question is a classic scenario-- ie, the age old question of fix it or sell it? The OP didn't say the car is a classic car.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Well can you afford a new car? you have an extra $250.00 a month laying around you can buy a new car, or for what would be around 4 payments on a new one you can fix your old one. Only you can answer this question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive