Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

If you live VERY close to the freeway (0.1 miles to the onramp, almost never any traffic on the freeway), is there any need to properly warm up the car before taking off onto the Freeway first thing in the morning? This is a '99 Civic with 160K miles. Keep in mind I don't wish to buy a new car in the next, say 5 years and would like to keep this one as long as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Waiting for a complete warmup is wasteful of fuel. I suggest starting the car, let it idle for half a minute - just to be sure oil is circulating before you drive off. It's a good time to put your seat belt on, get settled, etc.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Waiting for a complete warmup is wasteful of fuel. I suggest starting the car, let it idle for half a minute - just to be sure oil is circulating before you drive off. It's a good time to put your seat belt on, get settled, etc.
what he said. all you need to do is get the engine running, and oil circulating. keep your road speed down below 65 for the first few minutes of freeway driving to give the engine and drive train a chance to warm up a bit, but otherwise drive the car like normal.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what he said. all you need to do is get the engine running, and oil circulating. keep your road speed down below 65 for the first few minutes of freeway driving to give the engine and drive train a chance to warm up a bit, but otherwise drive the car like normal.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that.. cause from start to 65, it's routinely around, maybe a little under 1 minute

Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I can't cite any specific data to support my idea, but I would prefer to drive about 5 miles at lower speeds. Also, with the OP being in Cali, freeway means 80, not 65.

I'd find an excuse to detour somewhere other than straight onto the onramp with a stone cold engine.

Letting the car idle won't cut it for warmup.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
So are you in Orange county, CA? In that case your car on start up should be as warm as a car driven for 15 minutes in Maine. The "warm-up" needs to be a total car warm-up, so when you sit idle you are only warming the engine. I just start the car and when the warning lights go off start driving. Just don't do full throttle until the temp gauge comes up.

On 2nd thought, unless you have odd hours, you are probably sitting in traffic anyways...

Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
So are you in Orange county, CA? In that case your car on start up should be as warm as a car driven for 15 minutes in Maine. The "warm-up" needs to be a total car warm-up, so when you sit idle you are only warming the engine. I just start the car and when the warning lights go off start driving. Just don't do full throttle until the temp gauge comes up.

On 2nd thought, unless you have odd hours, you are probably sitting in traffic anyways...
Odd hours (if 6:30am to 4pm counts) plus reverse commute

Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
I take it easy on the gas until the temp gauge is at normal operating temperatures. Dunno if that is correct, but it hasn't seem to have broken anything yet.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
the "warm up" is from the old days. As a kid, I remember that we always let the car run for five or ten minutes before driving it. Long ago people were told that a car should be warmed up before serious driving. I do not know if cars really needed that back then, but they do not now. However loads of older people still have the "warm up" ingrained in them and will say it is necessary. I suspect that the old reason had to do with straight weight oils. Now with Multi-vis, you do not have the same issues. Whatever the reason, manufacturers no longer recommend a warm up for gasoline engines. If you ask ask some engineers about it, the will snicker. they spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get engines to run cooler.

When I am in Michigan in the winter, you let the car warm up because if you dont, you will freeze and shiver and barely be able to hold the wheel with bare hands for ten to fifteen minutes. That is why many people have remote start.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I start moving asap, with in 30 seconds, but I don't drive hard.. I get to mid power band on a tach for around the first 8 miles with much of anything, except diesels. I run them then a little easier.

65 is fine, just get there slower when it's safe to go slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive