Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been to the states?

Just keep in mind that Texas is only one state and it is the size of Spain France and Germany combined.

With that in mind I would not lease a car until you know how many miles/KM you are going to be driving in a year.

A lease is great for someone that gets a new car every 2-3 years or less and does not drive that many miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
You'll likely be driving a lot, even if you were to just do grocery runs, most things are a few miles away here in Dallas. It's a geographically big city, and a lot of things are far apart.

When I looked at leases, none of them had an annual mileage that would be high enough for me, and I don't drive *that* much.

With the money you'll get from the 1-series, you should be able to buy a very nice used car or discounted new one (around the model year change and so forth) without having to resort to car payments.

autotrader.com is a good website when you're searching for used cars, as well as dealerships own websites, which are also good for new car browsing.

And remember, you're allowed to negotiate on the price!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM

66 posts, read 161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post

Just keep in mind that Texas is only one state and it is the size of Spain France and Germany combined.

With that in mind I would not lease a car until you know how many miles/KM you are going to be driving in a year.

A lease is great for someone that gets a new car every 2-3 years or less and does not drive that many miles.
Oh sure I have been so many times and that's one of the reasons why I love that country so much.
I've traveled to Northern US basically, staying for about a month every time we've been there.
My husband lived for 7 years in NY as he studied Chemical Engineering there.
Thanks for your opinion, I've got no clue about how many km I'll make in a year. Actually, my BMW has just made 1year and I've made 14.000km (about 8700miles)

Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuquitina View Post
Oh sure I have been so many times and that's one of the reasons why I love that country so much.
I've traveled to Northern US basically, staying for about a month every time we've been there.
My husband lived for 7 years in NY as he studied Chemical Engineering there.
Thanks for your opinion, I've got no clue about how many km I'll make in a year. Actually, my BMW has just made 1year and I've made 14.000km (about 8700miles)
By comparison, the average car in the U.S. is driven roughly 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM

66 posts, read 161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
You'll likely be driving a lot, even if you were to just do grocery runs, most things are a few miles away here in Dallas. It's a geographically big city, and a lot of things are far apart.

When I looked at leases, none of them had an annual mileage that would be high enough for me, and I don't drive *that* much.

With the money you'll get from the 1-series, you should be able to buy a very nice used car or discounted new one (around the model year change and so forth) without having to resort to car payments.

autotrader.com is a good website when you're searching for used cars, as well as dealerships own websites, which are also good for new car browsing.

And remember, you're allowed to negotiate on the price!

Oh, thanks a lot!

I really appreciate your comments as all I know about Dallas and Rockwall is what I've seen on maps and commute calculations
My husband has been there several times and he says that, more or less, I could get an idea from what we use to do when we stay in RI, which means that you don't have any place walking distance.

I love so many American stores and I've got them located in my maps, they are not even close one from another so I'll make up my mind

Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Actually, if you wanted to bring over a classic Land Rover or Gelandewagen, you would have no problems as long as they are 21+ years or older for the EPA, and 25+ for the DOT. In those cases, it's just paperwork that needs to be completed to bring the car into the country.

I have only seen a handful of the 1-series hatchbacks in this country, and those were diplomatically-registered vehicles. I am not sure if any were the diesel variants, though.

Here's an explanation of what would be required to import the vehicle: Importing a Motor Vehicle - CBP.gov
I love being near DC. So many different people and different cars too!

I've seen those g-wagens and defenders here as well. There has also been different sorts of 3 series I have seen. 1 was a E90 316 sedan with right hand drive. Another was a E36 which had euro-spec lights and might have a diesel engine. There was also a Ford S-max and a weird-looking Fiat MPV in the area. Again they were all diplomat-registered so they we'rent here for long.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post

Nice geography education, but maybe stick to the cars :)

Texas size - 696,241 km2
France (551,695) + Spain (504,030) + Germany (357,021) = 1,412,746 km2

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuquitina View Post
OMG... are you telling me that my car is more harmful than a HUMMER, Mustang or an Escalade?

The standard they use here is based in CO2 grams/km. My car makes 119 CO2 grams/km which is a ridiculous number compared to Chevrolet Tahoe that makes 340gr/km !! More or less, this is what most American cars are throwing through their muffles daily.

Hmmm, for what I've been reading, it looks more like a way to keep the US free of cars imported by particulars. I'm kinda sad because I will not be able to bring my car, but kuddos to the US for protecting American cars!!
There is no good technical reason that you can't import your car here, it's just damn "red tape".

That said, it's not worth the hassle. If having to sell these cars in Europe means the deal is not worth doing, don't do it then.

It does not have anything to do with protectionism in the economic sense, it's just our crap system. You can definitely buy BMW 1-series cars here, although the Diesels are not imported. Diesel is more expensive than gasoline in most of the US, so the economic advantage of Diesel is not that much.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
I imagine a 12,000 mile lease requirement would be difficult to meet in TX. I was in Austin mostly and did about 40,000 miles last year. Probably will be less, but the environment is really not like Spain at all. I lived 'next' to work, which was 1.5 miles away. If someone said "it's a few blocks away", you can assume you'll be driving. It's 100+ degrees F in the summer. There's a mile marker 830-something on the highway. If you live in a gated community, it could take you 15 minutes walking just to get to the front gate.

What I'm saying is that TX is a very car-centric place, and I'd prepare for that if leasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive