Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,366,495 times

Advertisements

I don't think the V8 is threatened nearly as much by CAFE etc as it is by people not buying it anymore. The V8 will survive in some form for a decent wile still, I think, but you're not likely to see them as widely bought in mainstream or commuter cars and trucks, for that, they're simply too inefficient (at least in it's current state).

When the gas prices rose earlier this year, cars like the Civic, Corollas, hell even AWD Imprezas all shot up in used car value, where as (at least in TX) big trucks with V8's plummeted. Higher gas prices are here to stay, and I think that's what's killing off the V8 as a power source for "everyday" vehicles.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who'll buy it anyway, either because they want it, like it, need it or think they do, but there are far more people who used to buy it but don't anymore because they can't afford it at the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,804,536 times
I don't think the V8 will die out anytime soon. They still come in handy for trucks that tow or the Corvette that just wants to show off.

If anything I think they will decrease the displacement of said V8 and then add a supercharger or turbo, to "add" back the lost power due to displacement reduction.

With a great set of well flowing heads and boost, a small blown V8 should make the power that required the biggest big block of yesteryear.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,179,994 times
For some reason most Americans consider the V-8 to be the only performance engine configuration out there. There are all sorts of inline 4's, 6's, and of course V and Boxer 12's, that make big power, but I guess because Detroit relegated 6's to economy roles, and built few 4's after the 1930's, most people think the only powerful engine is the V-8.

Although, no, I don't see V-8s going away in Corvettes anytime soon - for one thing the modern 'vette is not a guzzler, if you exercise some restraint with the loud pedal, they are pretty economical. That and as Goat pointed out GM does not sell enough of them to screw up CAFE numbers.

As anyone who has driven an E30 M3 can attest, an inline 4 can be a quite sweet engine, and part of the charm of a smaller engine like this is it's not so easy to go fast like the big 400+ HP current V-8s. As a guy who posts on that British auto forum, who drives among other cars a MacLaren, put it, what we who want something more than "A to B" from a car want is "an engaging and charismatic experience when we get behind the wheel, a sense of occasion when we go for a drive" - a car with mega power is plenty charismatic, but if you can spin the rear wheels just by lowering your foot in 3rd or 4th, IMHO it's not that "engaging" - the damn thing does not need any help from you...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,366,495 times
The 'vette keeps being brought up, but didn't the guy responsible for the program say in an interview somewhere that the next gen vette would come with a twin turbo V6? At least as an option?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,870,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
V8's will live on, as long as folks want to tow a trailer, or haul more than their lunch pail.

Lets see a fiait500 take a family of 4 on vacation while pulling the camper, boat or whatever.
I love V8's too, but over in Europe you see little cars towing campers and boats all of the time. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it. It opened my eyes a little bit.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,720,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The 'vette keeps being brought up, but didn't the guy responsible for the program say in an interview somewhere that the next gen vette would come with a twin turbo V6? At least as an option?
The idea was kicked around but I don't think they made any announcement about the C7 'Vette having a V6 at all. What I am hearing is that there's a good chance it'll have an optional twin-turbo V8 with a smaller displacement. That seems more likely than a V6.

I still kick myself for selling my '05, big mistake but within the next month or two I'm expecting a sizable check from land rent so I'll be kicking a few tires. I need another 'Vette, I love my truck but it's just not as fun to drive on a sunny Arizona day.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,186,961 times
And their campers are hardly bigger than a out house.
We like big campers.

Why can't someone own more than one vehicle?
Why does everyone have to have just a 4 or 6 cylinder gas vehicle.
High revving little engines will not like hauling a load no mater how many turbos you put on them.

The next proublem, as you mention Europe is they use diesels. We don't we use gas. A 6 or 4cly diesel can make as much and in most cases produce more torque and HP than a V8. thus being able to tow the same load as a v8 gas vehicle in the U.S.

Remember you don't have to buy it (a v8) and oboma should have no say as to what I or you can have because of his own green agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I love V8's too, but over in Europe you see little cars towing campers and boats all of the time. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe it. It opened my eyes a little bit.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,421,015 times
Quote:

Remember you don't have to buy it (a v8) and oboma should have no say as to what I or you can have because of his own green agenda.
Since when is it on Obama's agenda to get rid of gas guzzling V-8's?

Last I looked all those limo's he uses are V-8's not to mention all the kerosene his two jets he takes wherever he goes seem to be consuming huge amounts of oil.

Why do people throw politics into almost every topic?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,186,961 times
Because the EPA is controlled by the GOVT. and the epa controls our cars
The Pres has a green agenda concerning cars especially hybrids.
Govt. kick backs for buying certain kinds, where does that money come from?

You see your/our cars are controlled by the GOVT.

Where are all the diesel powered cars? Again ask the Govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Since when is it on Obama's agenda to get rid of gas guzzling V-8's?

Last I looked all those limo's he uses are V-8's not to mention all the kerosene his two jets he takes wherever he goes seem to be consuming huge amounts of oil.

Why do people throw politics into almost every topic?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,421,015 times
Quote:
Because the EPA is controlled by the GOVT. and the epa controls our cars
The Pres has a green agenda concerning cars especially hybrids.
Govt. kick backs for buying certain kinds, where does that money come from?

You see your/our cars are controlled by the GOVT.

Where are all the diesel powered cars? Again ask the Govt.
My 64 Ford 427 got around 8-10 mpg
My 2012 5.0 Mustang gets 25MPG and is a lot faster than my 64.
Maybe govt. EPA rules are a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive