Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 81 64.29%
No 45 35.71%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
It hasn't happened to me but I keep hearing from people (both friends and bloggers) who have been pulled over for no apparent reason.. then the cop can't find anything wrong with the driver and lets him off with no ticket. The only common aspect between all of these instances is that the driver was driving an old but fully working car in a relatively affluent area although this isn't necessarily the case in every single incident.
My brother was driving my dad's beater in our affluent neighborhood and got pulled over for a 'brown person' check once. Then he was driving his brand new Jeep he got for his 16 birthday with friends in it down the freeway and got pulled over for a 'are you drunk teenagers?' check.

Both times let go - no ticket. He wasn't even driving badly.

I got pulled over ONCE in a very nice car for no apparent reason. She said I was doing 65 in a 60. I beg to differ, as the digital giant hologram of my heads up display showed 63...and anyway, what the hell is the point of stopping someone for going 63 in a 60?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
No. But my wife used to quite often when she was in her 20s. Not so much anymore with hoards of children in the car.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM

568 posts, read 2,419,908 times
I used to drive an '87 Caprice. The car was lowered 2" and had some old Sonoma wheels and dark tint. The car wasn't ghetto and my German/Irish heritage makes me about as white as you can be. I had a State Trooper stop me once. I believe tint was his excuse. It was dark, but close enough to legal that he didn't write me a ticket for it, but since he had the white boy pulled over in his hooptie, he took the opportunity to search the car. He found nothing, of course, but it's really annoying (and a little embarrassing) standing on the side of a busy freeway while a cop goes through your car. The cop was polite and respectful, which is more than I can say about others that have stopped me just for tint, and I know he was just doing his job, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM

24,459 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Ya a GG police officer pulled me over for using "driving" lights and I had to explain to him the difference to him between fog and driving lights after I showed him the difference.

He was embarrassed and I skated on the ticket after I turned them off and told him his town was off limits to me.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
I used to drive an '87 Caprice. The car was lowered 2" and had some old Sonoma wheels and dark tint. The car wasn't ghetto and my German/Irish heritage makes me about as white as you can be. I had a State Trooper stop me once. I believe tint was his excuse. It was dark, but close enough to legal that he didn't write me a ticket for it, but since he had the white boy pulled over in his hooptie, he took the opportunity to search the car. He found nothing, of course, but it's really annoying (and a little embarrassing) standing on the side of a busy freeway while a cop goes through your car. The cop was polite and respectful, which is more than I can say about others that have stopped me just for tint, and I know he was just doing his job, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Ya'll don't understand that when a cop 'asks' to search your car you 'just say no' and then it's over???

Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Ya'll don't understand that when a cop 'asks' to search your car you 'just say no' and then it's over???

LOL You might have gotten away with that long ago but today they will hold you until the drug sniffing dogs are finished with you.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Does being black count as a reason?
LOL and No! I am a white guy that wears black leather, and was adjusting my bikes new rear tire psi, when a statey stopped to check me out. I was already parked on the road side sitting, so I wasn't 'stopped'.

He let me go too, after checking my lic and reg.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
I have... But I was driving flashy sporty cars. Obeying laws. I think I am about 70ish pullovers 13s tickets in my life. A lot of my pullovers were warranted, doing stupid stuff butnotu serious, hence the warnings.

But I have also had a lot of. Tire pressures are low, looked like youlicense plate light was out, eitherway, I get away breaking the law nearly daily when I drive, little hassle isn't that bad.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
In 1991 I was in my early 20s and I was driving a red BMW M3. I was driving towards La Costa from Encinitas (North San Diego- coastal area) and a sheriff pulled me over. He told me there have been "lots" of these M3s stolen in the area and that he had to search my car. The officer checked every nook and cranny of my car while I stood outside watching him on Santa Fe Road like an idiot. Bull crap! I got pulled over because I'm not white. He walked away with a smirk on his face and said "get out of here." I found out from my dealer shortly after that there were not many M3s in that part of North County sold. I had some very racist encounters while driving that car in San Diego but that's for another thread.

-Cheers.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
In 1991 I was in my early 20s and I was driving a red BMW M3. I was driving towards La Costa from Encinitas (North San Diego- coastal area) and a sheriff pulled me over. He told me there have been "lots" of these M3s stolen in the area and that he had to search my car. The officer checked every nook and cranny of my car while I stood outside watching him on Santa Fe Road like an idiot. Bull crap! I got pulled over because I'm not white. He walked away with a smirk on his face and said "get out of here." I found out from my dealer shortly after that there were not many M3s in that part of North County sold. I had some very racist encounters while driving that car in San Diego but that's for another thread.

-Cheers.
We stayed at the La Costa Resort their in Carlsbad, Ca, very nice area indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive