Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice that Japanese vehicles don't have real tilt steering? The steering columns adjust up and down, but they do not tilt like American models. Any reason for this? It's very annoying to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM

74 posts, read 615,135 times
I have noticed that as well. I think the Camry has some semblance of a "real" tilt wheel, but I may be wrong.

My '89 Camry had the neatest tilt wheel set up. It would adjust up and down through a wide arc (really way up there and down in your lap too). It also had a memory setting. Adjust the wheel to your favorite location and set one lever. Then when you got ready to exit the vehicle, hit another lever and the wheel would go all the way to the top. When you got back in, just pull the wheel down and it would automatically lock where you wanted it.

A friend had a Nissan Maxima about this time and one of the levers was marked "jump up." Hit it and the wheel would pop all the way up. Very neat feature.

All the time, Honda's (Accords) had the lame adjustable column. Practically useless.

And, a lack of a tilt wheel is a deal breaker for me.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
So in your view, a steering wheel should change angle as it moves up and down? You want it to become more like a bus when the wheel is up?

And what about those of us who maybe just like the angle to stay constant while the wheel is adjusted up and down?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So in your view, a steering wheel should change angle as it moves up and down? You want it to become more like a bus when the wheel is up?

And what about those of us who maybe just like the angle to stay constant while the wheel is adjusted up and down?
I personally hate the ones that change angle as they move versus staying at the same tilt and just moving up and down. I also hate ones that don't telescope. TBH I really haven't noticed what the OP is talking about on many cars. Except for older cars almost everything I've driven in the past few years has had a tilt and telescope function that didn't change the angle of the wheel.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Yes, I expect it to actually TILT. I just bought a '09 Tundra and this is the one feature that I don't like about it. I like it to be tilted down kinda low when I'm on the highway cruising, but in this truck that won't happen. The whole column will lower, but the wheel is still tilted forward.

I still love the truck, this is just a minor annoyance to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
My point is really that I don't think there is any universal view of what kind of adjustments a steering wheel should have. I remember old American cars that had very severe tilts. I hated those. Maybe a Lexus or Benz can do everything?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

178 posts, read 268,173 times
stop complaining! my jeep wrangler has no ability to move the wheel!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Please fill us in on what kind of cars you are driving. I did a quick search and found the following cars do have tilt and many have telescoping steering.

Toyota | Toyota Corolla Adds New Audio and Amenities for 2012

The Corolla has tilt and telescoping.

Toyota Yaris -- 2012 Models: Liftback

The Yaris has tilt steering

2012 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

The Accord had tilt and telescoping

Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,003 times
I like the height adjustable steering on my Accord. I prefer it to the weird angles you get when you tilt the wheel in an American car.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Please fill us in on what kind of cars you are driving. I did a quick search and found the following cars do have tilt and many have telescoping steering.

Toyota | Toyota Corolla Adds New Audio and Amenities for 2012

The Corolla has tilt and telescoping.

Toyota Yaris -- 2012 Models: Liftback

The Yaris has tilt steering

2012 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

The Accord had tilt and telescoping
They call it "tilt steering", but its not. In my Tundra there's a lever underneath the steering column, you pull that lever down and the column moves up and down. Same in my Moms Camry. I think some Fords may be this way now too, but I'm not sure.

What I consider tilt steering is when there is a lever next to the turn signal that actually changes the angle of the steering wheel, not the whole column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive