Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM

42 posts, read 167,734 times

Advertisements

I am considering the following vehicles and would appreciate any owner comments regarding the Ford Escape,the Edge,the Hyundai Santa Fe V6, and the Subaru Outback 3.6.
We are retiring and this vehicle will be used for traveling across the US with my BH and 2 dogs. I narrowed my choices to regular fuel only - no premium. I prefer V6, but I do like the Subaru so it's there in the group- but comments regarding passing/pickup ability would be very helpful.
I would like to thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
My wife has a 2008 Escape XLT. It has been very reliable and she has got up to 36 miles a gallon in it when she feathers the gas pedal, most days she gets 22. The one reoccurring problem was the sunroof leaking. The drain tubes came loose. To compound the problem the drain pan under the windshield was broke as well. We bought her truck new and she babies it, just turned 20,000 miles.

Her upholstery is a black knit material almost like that of a wet suit. Durable fabric but seems to stain easy.

Overall we would buy it again given the chance. 2009 received the 6 speed transmission but only added one mile or two to gas mileage.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I have had my Outback 3.6R Limited for approximately 1 yr & 4 months.
It is actually my third Subaru. Since I never previously purchased a particular make of car more than once, buying 3 Subarus over a period of ~15 years should tell you something about my level of satisfaction with that make. And, I am more satisfied with the quality and the overall owner experience with this car than I was with the 2 previous ones.

That being said, it is obvious that Subaru has gone much more upscale with the new-design Outback that debuted in 2010. This new clean-sheet design is a tad longer, 2 inches wider, and has a wheelbase that is a couple of inches longer than the old model. The result is much more interior room. Also, much more sound-deadening material has been utilized, the interior fittings are much more upscale than on previous models, and the ride is...almost limousine-like.

I am assuming that you know that the 3.6R engine is an H-6, rather than a V-6. The "H" configuration results in a much lower center of gravity, which really helps with handling and road-holding. However, to most owners, the engine configuration would not even be noticed. Only Subaru and Porsche currently use an H-configuration for their engines.

The 3.6R has power that is truly impressive, yet it produces very good gas mileage--especially for a vehicle of that size, with an engine that puts out 256 HP. I find that, in local driving, my avg gas mileage is in the 21-23 mpg range; on long highway drives, I can eke out 28-29 mpg, even while cruising at 70+ mph.

It appears that the 3.6R is geared more for highway acceleration, rather than accelerating away from a traffic light. On the highway, when you push down on the gas pedal, you get an awesome burst of power, and because of the quietness of the engine, it is easy to quickly find yourself traveling at 85-90 mph unless you glance down at the speedometer. More than once, I have had to restrain myself from allowing the engine to keep accelerating, as I don't want to attract the attention of police cars. Altogether, it has an excellent balance of power output and good gas mileage.

If you go with the standard 4-cylinder engine, you will get better gas mileage, naturally. However, since the 4 has to work much harder to get you up to speed, it does produce a much higher noise level in the cabin as you accelerate. And, the 4 does turn at higher RPMs once you do get up to speed.

I find that my tachometer indicates only ~1,700 RPM at 60 mph, while the 4 would be turning over a few hundred RPMs more at that speed. So--if you prize a very quiet car, the 6 is preferable for more than one reason--including the fact that it utilizes a timing chain, rather than a timing belt. (Replacing the timing belt is part of the scheduled maintenance for the 4--at 105k miles)

My brother has a V-6 Hyundai Santa Fe, and after driving my car, he reported that the Outback felt more powerful and more refined than the Santa Fe. I can't comment on the Ford models.

Last edited by Retriever; 01-14-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,294 times
I have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT with a V6 and 4 Wheel Drive. It is excellent in the snow. The gas mileage is not that bad and it it is pretty quick. Also it is comfortable for long trips

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I am assuming that you know that the 3.6R engine is an H-6, rather than a V-6. The "H" configuration results in a much lower center of gravity, which really helps with handling and road-holding. However, to most owners, the engine configuration would not even be noticed. Only Subaru and Porsche currently use an H-configuration for their engines.
I think in the stone age we called them Flat 6's and Flat 4's.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,704 times
Hi there I currently own the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe V6. After a year of ownership, my wife and I are still absolutely pleased with this SUV. We've been on several 500-plus mile road trips over the past 12 months and each time was a delight. The Santa Fe was once referred to as the "Goldilocks" of the SUV segment, and we're in complete agreement. We think it's just a perfect vehicle.

The ride on the highway is buttery smooth, the leather seats are very comfortable and plush, it's very roomy inside, and the engine produces unbelievable power. Plus, we're very thankful for the durable leather in the backseat, because my 9-year-old nephew tends to drop all sorts of sticky, slimy food and candy bits every place. Our black-on-black Limited is still a looker, and we get plenty of glances around town and on the highway, and it's a bit of an ego boost when we happen to park next to some of the newer Highlanders, CX-9's and RX's and our Santa Fe is just as big, luxurious and powerful. I really enjoy my evening commute in this SUV. I'll switch on the heated seats, put some smooth jazz on the radio, open up the sunroof, and cruise on in. So far, not a single maintenance issue to report. The hard plastic pieces on the dashboard have not been any trouble at all, even in the backseat area - after a year of abuse from an active 9 year old. Our overall gas mileage has been between 25-32 mpg on the highway and around 18-23 mpg in the city.

I would recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a comfortable, affordable midsize vehicle. We would have appreciated a memory seating option as it can become a bit tedious trying to re-find that "perfect" seating position for us both each time either one of us drives. On one extremely hot day last year (99 degrees), we really appreciated the dark shade of the interior and the ice-cold A/C. It was sweet relief after several hours in the hot sun for a kids' football game. And our backseat passengers enjoyed having their own air vents too! Perfect SUV and I expect that only more pleasure and enjoyment is to come from our beautiful Santa Fe!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My wife has a 2008 Escape XLT. It has been very reliable and she has got up to 36 miles a gallon in it when she feathers the gas pedal, most days she gets 22. The one reoccurring problem was the sunroof leaking. The drain tubes came loose. To compound the problem the drain pan under the windshield was broke as well. We bought her truck new and she babies it, just turned 20,000 miles.

Her upholstery is a black knit material almost like that of a wet suit. Durable fabric but seems to stain easy.

Overall we would buy it again given the chance. 2009 received the 6 speed transmission but only added one mile or two to gas mileage.
This model is being completely remodeled for this year.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
We have had two Escapes, a 2003 4x4 v6 which we traded in with well over 100k miles, only major repair was one of the coils went bad, other than that just maintenance, brakes, oil changes, etc. Got us through 7 new England winters never stranded my wife.

Now own a 2010 escape limited v6 AWD. Loaded, rear view camera, leather, remote start, heated seats, etc. Took the truck on road trip to SC, was a pleasure to drive. We 100% recommend the escape, will get another one if they still make them down the road. Get the V6, I test drove th 4 cylinder it was no comparison in terms of pickup and power. However I heard the new model will not offer a v6 but three types of 4 cylinders, one a turbo????

Old 01-16-2012, 03:20 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,168 times
I would strongly recommend against buying a Subaru unless you want to find yourself unable to purchase any other make/brand of vehicle in the future. Once you buy a Subaru... that's pretty much it. You will find it very hard to buy anything else, unless you are really itching for a luxury car.
I mean, look at the length of Retriever's post. He clearly knows a lot about his car, the engine and the performance.
I am on my second Subaru... currently looking for a third.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
I would strongly recommend against buying a Subaru unless you want to find yourself unable to purchase any other make/brand of vehicle in the future. Once you buy a Subaru... that's pretty much it. You will find it very hard to buy anything else, unless you are really itching for a luxury car.
I mean, look at the length of Retriever's post. He clearly knows a lot about his car, the engine and the performance.
I am on my second Subaru... currently looking for a third.
Haha- when you live in a place that never snows and still find yourself owning two Subarus and now can't imagine choosing another marque (we've owned Volvos, Mercedes, Mazdas and Hondas as well as domestics long ago) you know they're building a pretty good car.

Never say never but love me some Subies- and they do faithfully take us through snowy places we visit often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive