Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do your friend a favor and don't borrow his car.
I'll add, do yourself a favor and don't borrow your friends car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM

51 posts, read 219,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Typically insurance goes with the driver. So if you're driving another's car, your insurance covers you. If it doesn't, time to find a new insurance company.
So are you saying that if I'm in an accident driving someone else's vehicle, that my car insurance covers me? For what?

I was in car accident just recently driving a relative's car. The other driver was at fault but it got pinned on me. I have evidence to back me up, I just hope the judge will see that.

Anyway... my relative only had liability as do I. My insurance apparently won't do anything. My relative's insurance company are a-holes and are more than willing to pay out money to cover the other driver's expenses. The insurance company didn't even care when I said the other driver was at fault. They weren't willing to send anyone out to look at the scene of the accident. They're more than happy to pay the money and be done with it even though my relative gets nothing. On top of that, they treated me like a had the accident on purpose and were apparently trying to make me feel guilty. WTF? Jerks!

I'm trying to find out whose insurance company (if any) would or could cover the cost of my eyeglasses which were broken during the accident. I'm also trying to find out if anyone will pay for medical costs if I need to see a doctor. I don't have health insurance so I refused going to the hospital. I think I'm ok, but if I needed to go to a doctor, it would be nice to know whether any of the insurance companies would cover me.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM

133 posts, read 173,854 times
Always assume they will deny coverage. Always assume the insurance company will sodomize its customers. Always.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That may be so for collision coverage, but not for liability. What would be the point of mandatory liability insurance, if the insurer can weasel out and shoot holes through it. The objective is to guarantee that every accident involves a covered driver, and that doesn't happen if the insurer can just say its not covered.

Policies have to be written in such a broad way that coverage is blanket, regardless of nitpicking by the insurance company. However, the insurance company can sue you for fraud, if they can prove that you routinely and intentionally allowed higher risk driver to drive your car with the intent of defrauding the company.
I see you are in Texas. I wish that was in fact true.

I have many liability claims denied because the insured was not the driver here in Texas. State Farm and USAA are two of the companies I had do this very thing to my clients. Liability insurance does not necessarily follow the car. It is the responsibility of the driver.

I have seen cases where the insured owner's liability coverage DID cover costs of repairs, but it is not automatic.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As a note, you'd be amazed at the number of people that don't have the registration card in their car. I've been on several ride alongs over the years and easily 1/3 of those stopped either don't have it or can't find it.
Here in Texas you are not required to carry any registration. If stopped, the cop will ask for your license and insurance, please.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:51 PM

373 posts, read 710,516 times
You need insurance if you have a license. The reason is that if a friend who has 20 points on his license and a BIG risk shouldnt be able to borrow a car from a friend and avoid the cost associated with his very bad driving record. If your friend has a car and drives it loaning yours is ok but if not you are asking for trouble. If he wrecks your car YOUR insurance then goes up like his may have.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 PM

51 posts, read 219,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
Always assume they will deny coverage. Always assume the insurance company will sodomize its customers. Always.
I'm not even sure what the point of insurance is when I think about it. Even if the other guy's insurance were to pay for the vehicle I was driving, all I (or my relative) would get is $500-$1500. The vehicle is totaled, what in the heck is $1500 gonna buy? A frickin scooter?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
My insurance covers my car. If I borrow a friend's car, his insurance covers the car. With my insurance, if you are driving it, it is covered unless I have specifically excluded you from coverage. Every insurance policy I've ever had has been this way. This is in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive