Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I would most likely have to get a old dodge truck and then, get a newer truck with automatic 4X4 and possibly V6. Then, I can try to take body off the frame of the old dodge truck and put it on the newer truck frame. that way, I will everything I want in my old dodge truck.
I don't recommend this, as previously mentioned. It will have value only to you, and will be lots of work,,, and you will still have an 'old truck' and the weaknesses of them... Poor Body craftsmanship / noisy cab. The best thing they had going for them was simplicity and robustness (neither of which you will find in a newer drivetrain / chassis.) If I were to try this, I would get the earliest yr chassis with front disc brakes (~1970) and build from there. Once you get too new, they get flimsy and complicated. 4x4 STRAIGHT AXLE will keep it simple as long as you stay away from ford 'twin beam' nightmare. (independent front). I would also look for a drivetrain that DID NOT have a married Transfer Case to Tranny. That gets limiting, tho MOST have married boxes, especially the later they get.

Old trucks are great for functional utility and I wouldn't want to jeopardize THAT.

You CAN find old cabs laying around, but having a complete truck as a donor, simplifies the process (thinking under $1000 complete)

Why do you want a V6? I don't find V anything to be a particularly good truck motor. (Unless fast reving / high speed is your style.)

Automatics are a real pain in a truck.

can't tow to start
can't park on a hill in gear
can't SLOWLY back up a steep grade with a load (auto is very tough on Torque Convertor in some applications)
Can't compression brake a trailer / heavy load
Can't CRAWL as in Granny low, great for stump pulling / picking up hay in a field.
can't run at a constant speed (like 1st gear in idle) This is helpful when off roading through really nasty stuff where hitting the throttle is very BAD for traction / bouncing your head on the ceiling.

What are you gonna use this thing for?

Your Yrs were wide, so you can easily get a late 60's truck that will have all the capability you need.

4x4 you probably want a Ford 'highboy'. (I would get an inline 6 cyl 300CI).

Once you get to 1989, you can get a Dodge Cummins Diesel (~20 mpg)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM

652 posts, read 682,210 times
I just like to have a old dodge truck to use as a daily driver/ride and make people turn their heads as I drive by them. I guess, I better learn to drive a stick if I plan to keep everything original as possible. I bet I would have to change the engine if I plan to drive as fast as 70MPH on I-5 here in washington state. I just hope I don't get stuck on a country dirt road since the truck most likely won't have 4X4.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
There was a guy who lived near me that mounted a 1969ish Chevy stepside body on a Jeep chassis. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea to him at the time, but as far as I was concerned he ruined a good jeep and a good truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive