Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If gas was $9.00 a gallon, what would you do?
Drive less 40 35.71%
Consolidate your trips 28 25.00%
Think about trading your car in for a more efficient model 22 19.64%
Take local public transportation to at least some of your destinations 19 16.96%
Walk / bike to at least some of your destinations 24 21.43%
Motorcycle / moped / scoot to at least some of your destinations 17 15.18%
Take fewer leisure drives 21 18.75%
Reconsider long-distance car travel 25 22.32%
Other 14 12.50%
Nothing 30 26.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times

Advertisements

Would do nothing. I don't even drive as much since I don't really need a car for places I go 80% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I already take public transit and drive less and walk more perks of being poor is you lose weight :P
This!!

I can walk, take a bus, bike or a train to a number of places, and I got stronger-looking legs as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Okay, just so you can play like the rest of us.....

What would you do if the price of used vegetable oil went to $9 a gallon?
I've never had to BUY feedstock, hopefully never will.

for Biodiesel,
Algae will be commercialized as a feedstock, and you can easily 'grow-your-own'.
Same with Brasserie crops, nut and palm trees, Japtropha | The Daily Energy Report
"PetroChina expects to ramp up production to 60,000 tons of jatropha Jet A-1 annually by 2014."
http://www.intechopen.com/books/biod...g-technologies

meanwhile... these all work as direct fuel,

friends as A&P's use discarded jetA (several mechanics have not bought fuel for over 30 yrs)
Used engine oil works fine (Semi-trucks have 'auto / continuous' change systems.)
Many folks clean house heating oil tanks, one neighbor has 1,000 gal of that stored up.

You don't really need much fuel when you get 50 mpg, I can head off on a 1-2 hr trip w/o even checking my tank. I have made 6+ trips this week, and not even down to 3/4 tank.

There is a ton we can do with conservation, it dwarfs most other options... but then we (USA) could use an intuitive Energy Policy... THAT will not come from Washington DC,,,

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Nope, salaries too.
As inflation goes up, as in the past the cost of living goes up. Many get raises based on the cost of living.
As stated the cost of everything would go up and salaries would follow.

There are people trying to make a living off min wage & most things are beyond thier pay scale. I don't see them getting any more money.

I'm planning to buy a VW diesel so let the prices go up It's strange how gas in other countries are higher then they are here & everyone is complaining. I guess it goes to show you how spoiled Americans are.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
If gas headed to $9 / gallon,
Get a 'Bean-mobile' !! (and a farm to support it...)
Biodiesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

brew your own (about the best kit / idea around~ $200(DIY)), Much safer than the commercial systems that use PLASTIC tanks for HEATED fuel . ~$3000
http://www.make-biodiesel.org/The-Ap...eed-plans.html

Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Speedy AZ : If gas truly ever reaches that point, our economy would be in such shambles that I doubt the price of gas would even be an issue; food prices would skyrocket, employers would let go of numerous employees, state taxes would be in a bigger mess than they already are, our nation would go into a panic greater than what we saw 4 years ago.

------------------------------------------

If gas ever gets that high, I'm stocking up on canned foods, ammo, and guns......

------------------------------------------------

Don't forget a "locking gas cap" since gas theft is already on the rise...Imagine how high it would be if gas were 9 bucks a gallon.....

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 36,189 times
Move

Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 AM

202 posts, read 864,250 times
1) Cry a river.
2) Build a bridge.
3) Push my car over it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Honestly I don't pay attention to gas prices. Probably in real terms more of my paycheck would be used I suppose. I don't commute daily so doesn't affect me too much.

(disclaimer: I'm not "rich").

Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
if gasoline hit $9 per gallon, i would start making my own fuel, and convert all my cars to run nicely on sugar based ethanol.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I've never had to BUY feedstock, hopefully never will.

for Biodiesel,
Algae will be commercialized as a feedstock, and you can easily 'grow-your-own'.
Same with Brasserie crops, nut and palm trees, Japtropha | The Daily Energy Report
"PetroChina expects to ramp up production to 60,000 tons of jatropha Jet A-1 annually by 2014."
Biodiesel - Feedstocks and Processing Technologies | InTechOpen

meanwhile... these all work as direct fuel,

friends as A&P's use discarded jetA (several mechanics have not bought fuel for over 30 yrs)
Used engine oil works fine (Semi-trucks have 'auto / continuous' change systems.)
Many folks clean house heating oil tanks, one neighbor has 1,000 gal of that stored up.

You don't really need much fuel when you get 50 mpg, I can head off on a 1-2 hr trip w/o even checking my tank. I have made 6+ trips this week, and not even down to 3/4 tank.

There is a ton we can do with conservation, it dwarfs most other options... but then we (USA) could use an intuitive Energy Policy... THAT will not come from Washington DC,,,
Stealth,

I think it's great that you have the know-how to fix and maintain 30+ year old out-of-production vehicles. Those vehicles do not meet current EPA requirements and could not be produced today. The current crop of diesels do not get near the mileage of the older models with more relaxed clean air requirements.

The fry grease and surplus oil is not a viable solution for the masses. Additionally, one needs to mail in their state and federal road use taxes if they are using these as fuels since that is the method established to pay for the roads. If someone does not send in the use taxes then the cost is being unfairly placed on the others who pay it at the pump.

All that being said, diesels can play a very important role in our future in becoming energy independent. I personally long for a small or mid sized 4x4 pickup with a 4 cyl diesel that would get mpg in the 30s. It's very doable but apparently the manufacturers are unwilling to let us have these vehicles. I have to believe that they are just holding them in reserve for when they are forced to deliver that mpg from their fleet. Natural gas is another viable alternative and some manufacturers are starting to introduce models in some markets.

If gas goes to $9 in the near future (over the next 12 to 24 months) it would be a devastating death blow to our economy and would have dire consequences. There are simply too many people who do not have the elasticity in their income to absorb that increase to their budget. It would affect home heating oil, food transportation, etc. Many people can't make it now with gas at the current prices for a variety of reasons. This would certainly push many over the edge and would have a serious negative impact on many businesses as well. That is a real-world view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive