Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

I would try to skip buying from a dealer if possible, especially if you're looking for an extra car. The Benz is going to have issues at that mileage, and if there's a hint of damage, something is amiss, so I wouldn't even consider it. The Camry looks like a good deal, but you would have to replace the hoses, belts, seals, fluids, etc., such that I agree that it might make more sense to look elsewhere.

If I were looking for a used vehicle, I would focus on areas near where you live, but not the city, itself, as city cars can have issues from lack of use, or abuse/parking, etc. Suburban areas would offer better bets, especially if you were buying a car from a family that had maintained the vehicle well, and are replacing it because they have too many cars, or they bought a newer vehicle. You may have to search to find such a vehicle, but it would likely be a better value, unless you have a trusted dealer whom you know will not sell you a car with immediate problems.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath View Post
High mileage car can go for a longer distance,with less petrol,than a car with low mileage.So,I think,you should go for the car,with high mileage.

ahh, what?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
That series of Camry were the last really good ones built. In '97 they cheapened them severely and they've been lame ever since, IMHO.
That's nostalgia talking. I had a '93 Camry that I bought in 2003 from an old lady who couldn't drive anymore, only had 42k miles on it. And while it never actually broke down, a LOT of things went wrong on that car. The quality wasn't that great either. The vinyl used on the dashboard constantly emits particles that cloud up the windshield, no matter how many times you clean it. Handling, braking, and acceleration (I had the 4cyl, but even the V6 from that age isn't that fast) on that car is **** poor compared to pretty much any modern car built today. The ride wasn't even that smooth compared to all the Camry's made since (even when I put brand new front and rear struts on the car). Great car for its time, but cars (including the Camry) have gotten way better since.

On a 20 year old car, doesn't matter how few or many miles it has, pretty much anything made out of rubber (belts, hoses, tires, brakes, CV boots) on the car will need to be thoroughly checked and possibly replaced. Also early 90's cars are primitive when it comes to safety features compared to cars of the last decade, especially the last 5 years.

Both of the OP's choices would be dumb buys, and a total waste of money IMO. Find something in the middle.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM

212 posts, read 375,800 times
If you're looking to buy the benz, you gotta prepare yourself for the high maintenence costs. When we bought the 95 E320, a month later the drivers side window regulator gave, we found a replacement for $150, which is pricey. Nothing else is wrong with the car but even gas is high, it costs $1.70 per litre. I just got a quote a couple days ago for transmission fluid change, it'll be $550. Then just on saturday I got an oil change which cost $120. Everywhere I go it's always "oh it's a benz it needs special treatment". But I knew that I would spending alot to maintain it. Not saying your benz will give you trouble if you get it, but just lettin ya know.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The Camry. The old Camry's are extremely reliable, parts are dirt cheap and plentiful, and almost anyone can work on them.

The Mercedes - the direct opposite on all points.

This says it all.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
A 1994 Toyota Camry with 27,000 miles on it

Or

A 2008 Mercedes Benz with 180,000 miles on it?

It would seem the first choice is a no brainer,but I thought about the age of the car, and even though its only 27,000 miles on it,would it have rusty parts from age?

Meanwhile,number 2 has a high mileage,but would the parts still be newer than than choice #1?

In other words,which one would have better,more functioning parts,and which do you think would last longer?

Is a newer,high mileage car better than a low mileage,older car?
(Both are roughly around the same price)
Not enough information to answer the question. I would have to see both cars, condition does not deteriorate at a specific rate based on age and miles, much as some simple thinkers would like to think it does.

Beyond that, what is the intended purpose of the car? How well do they fit into your budget? How much would you actually value the features that the Benz offers that go beyond the Toy?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
A 1994 Toyota Camry with 27,000 miles on it

Or

A 2008 Mercedes Benz with 180,000 miles on it?

(Both are roughly around the same price)
Seems like a question from fantasy land. Car #1 would cost $1500 max. Car #2, even a lowly C300 sedan, would go for $10k. Unless car #1 has a solid 24k gold steering wheel, or unless car #2 only includes an engine and a gas cap, then there's no way they'd cost the same. Even a totalled C300 would cost more than $1500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive