Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

I like it quite a bit.

For that price I'd probably put a boat in San Diego, and use it (the boat) on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I wouldn't buy one of these ...

outside of the M-B maintenance/cost issues, I've got a fair deal of experience with real world use of several original gullwings and 300SL roadsters. I couldn't drive them anywhere where they would be left out unattended for no matter how short a time ... everybody had to come look, mess around with them, and regale me with all the tales of how they'd owned one, or their brother's barber owned one, or how they'd seen one somewhere in Aspen or Jackson or Los Angeles or wherever way back when. What almost always happened was they couldn't keep their hands off the car, or they had to sit on the fenders ... total disrespect for the cars, of which all the ones I drove had show quality paint jobs and were immaculate, straight, and correct.

So I foresee the same difficulties with this car series. Unless you can drive it from point to point where it's securely garaged out of sight, it's a bigger pain than it's worth to me to have one.

I'd buy another 2002tii and do all the mods to turn it into a sleeper ... these don't get much attention and in practical terms can be quite a driver. For that matter, there's other cars which folk on this forum would choose over that ... which can be driven and not draw attention.

With the left-over money, I'd be looking at putting it into an RV-6 or one of the later series Van's product. A tail-dragger than can get into the back country short strips and home in that 150+ mph cruise range without any concern from a man with a badge looking to fill his quota for the day.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think that era Eldorado had the horrible Toronado front wheel drive. An abomination. Not to wish for, I'm sorry to say.

I had a 1972 Couple DeVille that was one of the best cars I ever owned, but I remember that mess they made of the Eldorado with more torque steer than could be imagined by todays standards.

Great car as long as it was in Park.
Yes, I agree. I much prefer the RWD Cadillacs (the Eldorado had FWD beginning in 1967).

I don't recall torque steer being a big problem; maybe because the cars were so heavy.

But harder to service the Eldo if it need any work up front (suspension, transmission) because almost everything is up front.

And the RWD Fleetwood Brougham and DeVilles had more interior room and trunk space compared to an Eldorado.

Many people do like the Eldorado, though, the friend I mentioned, for example. And from '71-'76, if you wanted a Cadillac convertible, the Eldorado was your only choice.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetess View Post
^ Jealous. I drool over 70's cadillacs more than benz. Not much old skools around here, but when I do see one, I know how to appreciate it!

JordanJP, I can tell they must be uncomfortable, I've driven the Mclaren and they too are extremely uncomfortable. But then again it's not a car you'd want to drive everyday.
The old skool cars (including Cadillac) sure do get a lot of attention. Even out here, where old cars are fairly common (because there are a lot of weekly car shows/gatherings) they get lots of looks.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetess View Post
S class is what most people would go for, they're definitely the best looking. That, and ofcourse the Maybach!
The Maybach does nothing for me, it's basically an overpriced and extended S-Class in my view. It doesn't offer any unique style or presence and if I was spending Maybach money, I'd much prefer either a Rolls Royce Ghost or a Bentley Mulsanne.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I'd get a Ferrari for that price

Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, I agree. I much prefer the RWD Cadillacs (the Eldorado had FWD beginning in 1967).

I don't recall torque steer being a big problem; maybe because the cars were so heavy.

But harder to service the Eldo if it need any work up front (suspension, transmission) because almost everything is up front.

And the RWD Fleetwood Brougham and DeVilles had more interior room and trunk space compared to an Eldorado.

Many people do like the Eldorado, though, the friend I mentioned, for example. And from '71-'76, if you wanted a Cadillac convertible, the Eldorado was your only choice.
I used to walk by a bookie's place on my way to work where the bookie had a 70 Eldorado Convertible in triple black. Wow! What a car.

By the time I drove one in around 1975, it was just a Toronado with Caddy grille, and sheet metal, and it really was not much. I couldn't afford one even then. So I got my coupe d' ville used. It was a piece of work. A person could lay down flat on the back seat, which was tested many times. And, it saved my nephews life when many years later he was hit head on in it and had no injuries. I am a Caddy fan, just not the Toronado era.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
If I had the money to buy a whole fleet of 200K cars, I don't think this would be among them. I just don't like the proportions, homage or not.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think that era Eldorado had the horrible Toronado front wheel drive. An abomination. Not to wish for, I'm sorry to say.

I had a 1972 Couple DeVille that was one of the best cars I ever owned, but I remember that mess they made of the Eldorado with more torque steer than could be imagined by todays standards.

Great car as long as it was in Park.
Toronado, Riviera and Eldorado from that vintage were front wheel drive and they do have torque steer. However the last ones had a big cubic inch (500 ci I think) but the horsepower was a feeble 190 hp! Cool cars but I'd rather have a deVille from 1970 (Boss Hog car) with the 472 in it... Car had the most hp than anything in 1970 except the big block Corvette.

On the SLS, the older SLR was better looking but I do like the SLS convertible!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The Maybach does nothing for me, it's basically an overpriced and extended S-Class in my view. It doesn't offer any unique style or presence and if I was spending Maybach money, I'd much prefer either a Rolls Royce Ghost or a Bentley Mulsanne.
+ 1

Mulsanne is growing on me but I hate those Stutz Bearcat bulging headlights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive