Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM

62 posts, read 131,369 times

Advertisements

background- We have a 2010 Subaru Forester, which we like, especially b/c we get better gas mileage than its suppose to get and we didn't die when we were in a nasty accident. We also have an 15yr old Saturn wagon, I love my wagon and would buy another if GM made wagons. We are currently looking to replace the Saturn and have narrowed our choices down to the Prius vs the Subaru Impreza-hatchback. I plan on driving whatever car we choose for at least 10 years. We have test driven both vehicles and liked them both. I only drive 60 miles/week in a suburban setting in the SE, however we will likely relocate within the next couple of years to snow & hill country.
Prius- better gas mileage, but I don't like how busy the interior is with all the electronics. I'm also concerned with maintenance and being obligated to get repairs and service done at a Toyota dealership.
Impreza-We don't really need another AWD vehicle, but I do like that its bigger than the Prius (we have a St. Bernard), it is more similar to how my Saturn feels although would have more power than my Saturn has, which is the only gripe I have about the Saturn, and I feel safer in it than in the Prius. Maintenance costs are unknown. However, I feel like I should be embracing new technology and go with a hybrid.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times
Between those two, I would go with the Subaru. It has good gas mileage with proven auto technology. AWD will be a big plus when you move too. Plus you like the Subaru you got already.

Though the Prius seems to have a OK track record so far, if you plan on keeping it ten years, who knows what kind of issues they will have when they are ten years old plus. The cost of replacing batteries won't be cheap, or worthwhile for a ten year old car. I think buying newer tech for a car you are going to keep long term isn't a good idea, the bugs aren't worked out most of the time. You need the proven reliable cars for long term keepers. I don't like being the auto industries test subject either, there is no need to embrace "new" technology.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
GM does sell a wagon in the Caddy CTS. A Chevy Cruze or Malibu wagon (2013 model) would be nice. Other vehicles you should consider include the Mazda 3 5 door, Kia Forte 5 door, Hyundai Elantra Touring (soon to be replaced by the upcoming Hyundai GT), and several other similiarly designed models. If you can afford it, check out the Acura TSX sport wagon or the Audi A4 wagon. I think VW (Audi's parent company) may also have a wagon.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowfly View Post
background- We have a 2010 Subaru Forester, which we like, especially b/c we get better gas mileage than its suppose to get and we didn't die when we were in a nasty accident. We also have an 15yr old Saturn wagon, I love my wagon and would buy another if GM made wagons. We are currently looking to replace the Saturn and have narrowed our choices down to the Prius vs the Subaru Impreza-hatchback. I plan on driving whatever car we choose for at least 10 years. We have test driven both vehicles and liked them both. I only drive 60 miles/week in a suburban setting in the SE, however we will likely relocate within the next couple of years to snow & hill country.
Prius- better gas mileage, but I don't like how busy the interior is with all the electronics. I'm also concerned with maintenance and being obligated to get repairs and service done at a Toyota dealership.
Impreza-We don't really need another AWD vehicle, but I do like that its bigger than the Prius (we have a St. Bernard), it is more similar to how my Saturn feels although would have more power than my Saturn has, which is the only gripe I have about the Saturn, and I feel safer in it than in the Prius. Maintenance costs are unknown. However, I feel like I should be embracing new technology and go with a hybrid.
Any thoughts?
We have a 2006 Prius and love it, so I admit I'm biased.

I tend to think that the only reason to go with the Subaru - and it's a big reason - is that you say you are likely to relocate to snow and hill country. I don't have to drive in snow - if it snows, I don't go anywhere. But if I had to drive in snow, I would prefer an AWD vehicle like the Subaru.

You currently drive only 60 miles a week. Even at 100 miles a week, you're only looking at 5200 miles a year, or 52,000 miles over a ten-year span. A Prius will do that with ease (most cars will). We've had our Prius for 6 years, have over 96K miles, and zero problems.

"I'm also concerned with maintenance and being obligated to get repairs and service done at a Toyota dealership."

New Toyotas come with a complimentary 2-year of 25K miles regular service - that's oil changes and tire rotations. I don't see anything that's mandatory about it. I usually get our Prius serviced at the dealer, but sometimes I do the oil change myself.

Over 96K miles, here's what we've done with the Prius: oil & oil filter changes every 5K miles; tire rotations every 5K miles; other regular maintenance items like air/cabin filters as recommended in the owner's manual; and we replaced the OEM tires at 35K miles. We have had no repairs - no brake work, no issues with either battery, nothing.

The Prius has been around since 1997 - the third generation started in 2009. It is a good example of "proven auto technology" - so, too, is the Subaru Impreza. Both are good choices.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Since you plan on moving to hil and snow country, get the subaru.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
For some, the Prius is the best choice, and others the Impreza; however, reading your post, I think you have answered your own question because you feel safer in the Impreza, and it has more room for a furry family member. You do not drive much, so the extra cost for a hybrid, over the Impreza, will not give you the return on investment, such that it would warrant trading the feeling of safety and extra room. The AWD is a good bonus in the Subaru, and the mileage is respectable in the new generation Impreza, so I would get the Subaru, but not because the Prius costs more to maintain, or anything like that, just that it does not meet your needs in a vehicle. Coming from a small wagon, it makes sense to buy another small wagon, not a compact hatchback, since it would be a tight squeeze for your dog, even with the rear seats down, in terms of headroom.

Now, if you were comparing the Prius V wagon to the Impreza, it would be a closer call, though the hybrid still would not pay you back in fuel expense, given the amount you drive.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-25-2012, 04:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Between those two, I would go with the Subaru. It has good gas mileage with proven auto technology. AWD will be a big plus when you move too. Plus you like the Subaru you got already.

Though the Prius seems to have a OK track record so far, if you plan on keeping it ten years, who knows what kind of issues they will have when they are ten years old plus. The cost of replacing batteries won't be cheap, or worthwhile for a ten year old car. I think buying newer tech for a car you are going to keep long term isn't a good idea, the bugs aren't worked out most of the time. You need the proven reliable cars for long term keepers. I don't like being the auto industries test subject either, there is no need to embrace "new" technology.
The original Prius has been on the road in the US since 2000. I still see a few on the road - and they didn't sell that many early on. The Prius is a highly reliable car.

The cost of replacing batteries is not a mystery. The Prius battery costs about $3000 now to replace.

I'm not saying it is a better choice than the Impreza. My main question is why is fuel economy so important if they OP only drives 60 miles a week?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:47 PM

62 posts, read 131,369 times
Fuel economy should be something that is important to everyone no matter how far one drives... However, I'm concerned that I don't drive enough to keep the Prius battery operating at optimal capacity. That being said I've compared the other hatchbacks/wagons within 25K range and the Impreza still stands out as one of the best for mpg and cargo area.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
One is a car, one is a transportation appliance... I'd go with the car.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
The last Impreza was so-so alright, not ground breaking, although it sold better than the predecessor chassis. The new one(2012) I was pretty blown away with, considering the price point and what it has. In terms of driving dynamics I find it as good/better than or at least on par with any of it's competitors. Also the AWD system is impressive.

The Prius in my experience is like driving a refrigerator. Soulless and empty with hundreds of pounds of batteries and electrical motors you lug around for the life of the car. When you run the Prius on flat land with open traffic it can get good mileage but as soon as you put it under any load with passengers and stuff and drive up and down hills or other scenarios that involve acceleration frequently, the gas mileage falls through the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive