Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,738,762 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 Dodge Neon with about 127,000 miles on it. It's actually been relatively trouble free throughout its life. However it has recently started leaking oil. I have to add about a half quart every month or so. I also am seeing oil spots on the garage floor.

Should I

1)take it in to the shop
2)just keep adding oil as needed
3)sell it and get a newer car (trying to avoid having a car payment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,858,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I have a 2001 Dodge Neon with about 127,000 miles on it. It's actually been relatively trouble free throughout its life. However it has recently started leaking oil. I have to add about a half quart every month or so. I also am seeing oil spots on the garage floor.

Should I

1)take it in to the shop
2)just keep adding oil as needed
3)sell it and get a newer car (trying to avoid having a car payment).
If you don't mind checking the oil regularly
  • write down the mileage when you add oil, it makes it easier to track
  • buy oil in 5 qt containers
  • use an old wide mouthed plastic drink container to measure
  • use a large funnel to aid pouring into container then the engine (there are some made for this purpose)
  • put cardboard under the garage drip area
  • be sure you DO add the oil and don't 'forget'
  • do it a while and decide if the hassle is worth it
It will probably be far cheaper than any alternative, if that is the key criteria.

If this is too much of a hassle, have someone look at the engine, or at least ask others who are familiar with that car. I am not. There will be someone here who is and can chime in, but a quick web search shows some Neons develop cam seal leaks. On some cars (Audi/VW) this can cost a lot to repair, usually involving many hours and while apart, changing more parts. This may not be worth it unless you find an independent mechanic who will repair it affordably.... and also depends on if you plan to keep the car for a few more years.

It may also be the leak is simpler to repair so getting an informed opinion on the actual leak source isn't a bad thing.

My guess is the controlled/managed addition of oil is the best bet for now, but only you can decide.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,647,977 times
Option number one, have a qualified tech look at it instead of guessing. You can't make a decision if you don't know what's the cause and the repair cost.
If it costs a few hundred to fix, that's only a couple of car payments. If the car is decent, spend the money and get it fixed, rather than blowing oil all over the undercarriage, the road and the garage floor..
Ignoring the problem and keep adding oil is really Mickey Mouse. It's actually much worse than that, I just didn't want to insult those who take the "Trailer Trash" approach.....

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,189,629 times
Some people deal with minor fluid leaks rather than fix them. Depending on what's leaking and where it's leaking from, I'm sometimes one of them. But it's important to know exactly what is causing the leak before you make the decision to just 'live with it'. If you're not at all mechanically inclined, I would at least pay a shop to do a diagnostic of where the leak is coming from so you can make an informed decision. This would also give you the opportunity to gauge the repair cost against the price of a new vehicle. Making the decision to buy a new vehicle without that piece of info would seem very rash, unless you've been thinking about getting a new vehicle anyway.

Mike

Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,942,924 times
It depends. If the car is on its last legs, I might pour some of that thick oil stuff (Lucas, or simlar) and see if the problem goes away for a while.

If it is leaking onto something hot, you need to fix it. The car can catch fire. Oil will burn if it gets hot enough.

Many shops will charge little or nothing to diagnose the problem and give you a price. They are hoping to get the work.

I would not buy a replacement car due to an oil leak. If you had British cars, you woudl be replacing your car every week.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,285,068 times
I'd suggest what others have:

First, I'd take it to a shop, just for an estimate. If it's a couple of hundred dollars for a gasket change it might be worth it to do. If it's several hundred, it might not be worth it.

If you don't have the money or think you can be diligent, then, use thicker/high mileage oil at your next oil change, and keep an eye on the oil levels and add when needed.

Again, some cars just leak, seep or weep oil. If its just a drip over night, it's probably not a big deal right now. Once it starts to get worse or it's literally pouring out, then by all means, take it in.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
OP, do you have any idea where the oil is coming from?

How many miles do you drive in a month?

Have you checked your PCV system and made sure you are running with a vacuum in the crankcase, or at least not pressure?

A real common leak is the rear main seal, which is usually not worth the trouble/expense to fix *until* if the car is a manual, you need a clutch.

You might try a heavier viscosity of oil *within the guidelines in your owners manual*.

I have had decent luck with Castrol High Mileage oil reducing leakage by both seals and gaskets.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,738,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, do you have any idea where the oil is coming from?

How many miles do you drive in a month?

Have you checked your PCV system and made sure you are running with a vacuum in the crankcase, or at least not pressure?

A real common leak is the rear main seal, which is usually not worth the trouble/expense to fix *until* if the car is a manual, you need a clutch.

You might try a heavier viscosity of oil *within the guidelines in your owners manual*.

I have had decent luck with Castrol High Mileage oil reducing leakage by both seals and gaskets.
In answer to your questions:
I'm not sure where the oil is coming from.
I drive about 1,000 miles per month
Have not checked the PCV system. How do I check that?
I'll try high mileage oil at the next change. In between time, should I stick to the 10W-30 I have been using?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,682,709 times
See a mechanic for an estimate, and go from there. If you're trying to avoid a car payment, buying a new car is not the first thing I would do.

10W-30 is fine. (10W-40 is probably also fine for the summer, but I wouldn't bother with that yet.)

There's no reason not to start using "high mileage" oil the next time you have to add some.

Castrol, Valvoline, and Super Tech (WalMart) have high mileage oils that I've used and seen minor improvements with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive