Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
It is private property--the private property of the folks who own the dealership, and you inconsiderately parked your truck in such a way as to interfere with their business.
They had every right to move your truck, and if you had not left the keys in it, they would have been within their rights to tow it away.

Or--did you think it was the responsibility of the dealership's employees to walk all over that gigantic lot looking for the inconsiderate person who parked his truck improperly? (Hint: The employee who moved your truck was exercising the lawful rights of the dealership, and you were wrong, wrong, wrong.)
I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. Why would he leave his keys in the ignition?

And he referred to the salesman as a dork......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
It depends on where you live or where you are. In our town, many people leave their keys in the ingition so they do not need to worry about looking for them or rememebering to put them in the key place. No one steals cars here (usually) and there is no where to go anyway (they will catch you at the bridge).

The poster said he was in a middle of nowhere place (I think). I see nothing dorky about leaving your keys in the ignition in that type of atmosphere. He probably does not lock the doors to his house either. THere is no reason to.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. Why would he leave his keys in the ignition?

it doesnt matter if the truck was left running with the doors wide open, the salesman had NO right to touch the vehicle without the owners consent. in fact even though it was on the dealers property, the salesman could have been charged with grand theft auto at worst, or any number of other lesser crimes had the owner chosen to press charges. i personally would have gone to the owner of the dealership and complained to them about the salesmans actions.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
...and how does one get charged with grand theft for moving a car acroas a parking lot

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I call BS on that story.........

Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in fact even though it was on the dealers property, the salesman could have been charged with grand theft auto at worst.
Really?
In what alternate universe do you think that would happen?

Trust me--after having worked for a couple of my state's Deputy Attorneys General, I can tell you that you would have zero possibility of convincing a prosecutor to go for a charge of Grand Theft Auto under these circumstances. In every venue with which I am familiar, the law enforcement/justice community is too busy with real crimes to waste any time with nonsense like that.

In fact, I doubt that a prosecutor would even be interested in any "lesser" charges against someone who moves a vehicle that is blocking traffic on private property.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Yeah.. no kidding.. if anything if the driver of the truck was a jerk about it and raised a stink HE could be charged wirh tresspassing.... And in many states you could have your permit pulled for leaving your handgun "unsecured" like that. Thats the bigger "oops" in that story...

Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD250 View Post
About 12 years ago I pulled into a Ford dealership in my old truck looking around. This was shortly before I actually bought my current truck. I was shopping and waiting on a certain color to become available. Anyway, I get out of my truck on a Saturday afternoon. I walk about 1/4 mile up the lane of new Ford pick ups sitting on the lot. I turn my head around and up. WTF!?!? My truck is no longer sitting where I parked it with the keys hanging in the ignition not more than five or so minutes before. This was a lot out of the city and off a romote highway. Definately not theif infested. The next thing I know, this dork salesman (young kid about 19-22) comes pulling around from the back of the building in my truck. Just what in the hell do you thing you're doing in my truck man? His reply..."I had to move it so I could get this other one out". Well, did it ever occur to you that this is private property and I have a handgun sitting in there before you just got in and took off with MY truck without permission, or me even knowing about it? So are you joyriding in it too? You even took it for a spin while you were at it, you dumb bastard! He just bails out, shrugs his shoulders and walks off. I wanted to break his nose!
You left your truck unlocked with the keys AND a gun in it and you call the salesman stupid ??? WOW
They should have took the keys out and locked the door then called the police about an abandoned vehicle with a gun in it.

There are some people that should not be allowed to have guns ...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
In '86 I bought one of the last Jeep Grand Wagoneers -- fully loaded and priced at about $34K. (That was the same price as a big Caddy or small BMW then.) What with cars for my wife, myself and my business, I'd been buying at least one car a year from this small (Chevy, Cadillac, Jeep) dealership. Well, this Jeep was a piece of crap -- rattles here and there, windows that wouldn't work, doors misaligned, mechanical problems, etc. I brought it in to the dealership for about the fourth time for a misaligned front door or rattle or something, and I think the front desk sent me back to the shop to see if it was finished. I got there just in time to see the mechanic "throw" the removed front door against his bench, putting a small dent in it. I called him on it. His response: "It's just a Jeep."

Yeah, well that Jeep wasn't cheap, and I felt like it shouldn't be treated any differently than if it was a Caddy. I took it out of town and traded it for a new Saab. This was the first time I'd bought out of town in 15 years and the first foreign-built auto I'd ever bought (other than the Jeep being built in Canada), but I'd had it up to my eyeballs with their service department. I bought new (graduation gift) cars for my kids from them a few years later, but other than that I've never been back.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM

134 posts, read 147,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Why would you leave your keys in the ignition? That is asking for trouble....
I was gone five minutes and it was at a remote dealership on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you're calling the salesman dumb?
He was an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
It is private property--the private property of the folks who own the dealership, and you inconsiderately parked your truck in such a way as to interfere with their business.
They had every right to move your truck, and if you had not left the keys in it, they would have been within their rights to tow it away.

Or--did you think it was the responsibility of the dealership's employees to walk all over that gigantic lot looking for the inconsiderate person who parked his truck improperly? (Hint: The employee who moved your truck was exercising the lawful rights of the dealership, and you were wrong, wrong, wrong.)
No, you are wrong! I never gave him permission to enter my vehicle parked in a parking space. He also took off with my handgun in that vehicle which is a felony in itself now if I wanted to press charges! I have a valid license to carry. I highly doubt he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Sorry, but I would never leave my keys or the car unlocked, doesn't matter where it is and doubly do if I had a handgun in there....
It was the middle of August. I was wearing a t-shirt and didn't have a coat to cover it up while walking the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

People leave keys in the ignition all the time. It doesn't give a jackass the right to commandeer the vehicle at his will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You left your truck unlocked with the keys AND a gun in it and you call the salesman stupid ??? WOW
They should have took the keys out and locked the door then called the police about an abandoned vehicle with a gun in it.

There are some people that should not be allowed to have guns ...
Yeah, people who board someone elses truck without permission and take it to the back to 4x4 it WITHOUT permisson!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive