Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

That would include virtually every car ever made.
I forget--Which car company made the Main Street model?

Obviously, a part of the name of many, many streets could also be car names, but I only chose the model names that were--in full--street names, such as Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, and Park Lane. For instance, if we included words like "cherry", we could relate that to the Nissan Cherry, but Nissan did not make a Cherry Street model.

And, to add one more that I just thought of--the Buick Somerset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
"Geographical Place" could include street names, so I am including some of those in my list below.

Buick Park Avenue
Cadillac Biarritz and Seville
Chevrolet Malibu, Bel Air, Biscayne and Monza
Chrysler New Yorker, Fifth Avenue, Windsor, Newport, Saratoga and St. Regis
Dodge Phoenix, Sierra, and Monaco
Edsel Bermuda
Ford Del Rio, Granada, and Victoria
Hudson Hollywood
Imperial Southampton
Kaiser-Frazer Manhattan, Carolina, and Virginia
Lincoln Capri
Mercury Sun Valley, Montclair, Monterey, and Park Lane
Nash Lafayette
Packard Mayfair, Panama, and Caribbean
Plymouth Belvedere, Savoy, Cambridge, and Cranbrook
Pontiac Bonneville, Le Mans, and Catalina
Studebaker Pelham, Pinehurst, Daytona and Broadmoor
Willys Bermuda

Although I have come up with 46 "geographical" model names, I am sure that there must be a whole bunch more that I can't recall.

Edited to add:
Jeep Rubicon
Chevrolet Laguna
Packard Pacific

So--make that at least 49 model names that have a geographical origin.

And, if we include the name of actual brands (rather than models) of cars from the early days of motoring, we can add:
Chalmers-Detroit
Albany
Mercer
Craig-Toledo
Paterson
Pittsburgh
Oakland
Maryland
Kansas City
Moline
Birmingham
Essex
Auburn
Fargo
We should combine our lists! You got a lot more of the older models, and I got some newer ones like, Milan, Aspen, Monte Carlo, etc. Also add Chevrolet Tahoe and Rambler American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Following on from asubram's comments on Austin cars, there was a whole series of other Austin cars named after English Counties; Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Hereford and Somerset.
Ah yes, forgot all about them. But the OP wanted only American makes, so they are all ruled out I guess. Also the Ferrari Daytona and Ford Anglia.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
1965-1976 Cadillac Calais.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
GMC Yukon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive