Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 PM

30 posts, read 57,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are lots of good smart car people here!

Um, first I need to know your reason for buying a convertible. And then what are your most important features (obviously hard top is one of them - I suggest you be flexible with this, though, as you could miss out on some good cars)? And your budget?

I personally don't look for a convertible. I say, "I want a bad-ass fast car...now which is the bad-ass fast car that I can get that is also a convertible?" If the ZR1 came without a top, that's the pic you would have seen above...lol!

My reason--- I always wanted one , I am moving to LA and like to look good in my ride.

Features-- I like the fact that the EOS has the roof top optional. I can't think of any features. that i must have, any that you can suggest?

Budget--- My budget is open but, i like to get a good deal and not waste money on something I don't need.

Also when I travel aka car trips... lets say to vegas or another state I never take my car, I rent. I have always had a fear of having a issue with a car or accidnet and being stuck in nowheresville untill the car is repaird. This way if I have a rental I just call and get another car.

my present car i drive maybe 10k a year or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM

297 posts, read 740,798 times
Hard top convertibles -

A number to choose from:

Volvo C70, VW EOS, BMW 3 Series, Infiniti G37, Lexus IS C, and Mercedes-Benz SLK (30K-70K)

There's also the Mercedes-Benz SL, but that is touching 100K+ territory.

Make a list of the things you think you may want in a car, and from there, you can deduce what is the better choice for you.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Hard top convertibles -

A number to choose from:

Volvo C70, VW EOS, BMW 3 Series, Infiniti G37, Lexus IS C, and Mercedes-Benz SLK (30K-70K)

There's also the Mercedes-Benz SL, but that is touching 100K+ territory.

Make a list of the things you think you may want in a car, and from there, you can deduce what is the better choice for you.
I'm very basic when it comes to adding extras. AC is imporant, speed control, electric windows doors and GPS system, stereo, Good Warrenty , Gas Mileage

To add to your list I have also seen the Mazda Miata

as per the MB touching 100K I personally think that is way over the top and not worth it when you can buy a EOS or a MB SL for much less and still get the hard top and all the basics...... unless that car come with a few gold bars an or a driver then mabye lol

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM

The SL is aimed towards a different set of buyers---performance oriented drivers who are also looking for a touch of luxury.

Everything else is made for cruising.

Will you mainly have 1-2 passengers or do you drive friends around as well?

Whether it's "yes" or "no", the answer should narrow down your choices.

ETA: The Miata is a soft-top, hence I didn't mention that. There's also the Chrysler 200, though I'm not sure you would consider a car that is dated in terms of design.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
The SL is aimed towards a different set of buyers---performance oriented drivers who are also looking for a touch of luxury.

Everything else is made for cruising.

Will you mainly have 1-2 passengers or do you drive friends around as well?

Whether it's "yes" or "no", the answer should narrow down your choices.

ETA: The Miata is a soft-top, hence I didn't mention that. There's also the Chrysler 200, though I'm not sure you would consider a car that is dated in terms of design.
you may have missed it above. Its only for me I HATE driving people around...lol I do not use my personal car for travel. I rent.

BTW Miata also comes in a hard top. its the MX5

I don't need a expensive car to impress or to speed or drive fast. Hope this helps xo and thank you xo

Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM

The choice is pretty simple then---the EOS that you first mentioned. Make sure you get either the Lux or Executive trim though---it comes with Nav, some creature comforts (heated seats), premium wheels, and better headlamps.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM

I just found out that MUSTANG has a hardtop wow i have to check this out confusssed tho i go to the website and dont see the newer models they are alll vynal tops

Last edited by MINTZZ; 04-28-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> My reason--- I always wanted one , I am moving to LA

You asked for cons, but a big pro is that driving off the freeway on a nice twisty road on a sunny day is glorious. And CA has some roads for this, like route 1 and pretty much everything over the mountains.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Cons are noise, weight, and rattling. All convertibles will eventually rattle. Irritates the **** out of me.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Heres a Miata hardtop review.

2010 Mazda Miata MX 5 Auto Reviews with Mike West for pnwAutos.com - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive