Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,479,154 times

Advertisements

We know what the laws say, but honestly, what do you consider reckless driving?

To me, it's more than simply going too fast, it's cutting people off in traffic, it's texting while driving, talking on the phone (hand-held not hands free), it's tailgating, and one that people may not consider, driving with your hi-beams on when there's other traffic present on the road.

One thing that gets my goat is everyday when I'm coming home from work, there are two lanes of traffic merging into a road where the left lane becomes a left turn lane only, and the right lane is the single, drive through lane. People will jump into the left lane to try and get around the traffic in the right lane, and sometimes will cut people off right in the middle of the intersection (this is a short road up to a stop light.) I've even seen police do it too! Not only does this slow the right lane traffic down even more (because someone will slow down to let the idiots in the lane), but it pees off those who got into the right lane before the merge (like you should if you're not going to be turning left at the light.)

Anyway, I think that could be considered reckless driving. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 02:50 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,040,222 times
That's not reckless driving, that selfish driving. An accident wasn't caused, I was just an inconvenience to you. In your case your commute involves bottleneck that wasn't thought out well and some people are able to sidestep the problem by getting into the other lane and then merging ahead at the intersection. I would be more angry with the department of transportation in your state instead of the people that are doing their best to just avoid a minor delay.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:16 PM

17,326 posts, read 12,279,109 times
At the point that they are merging in the intersection and possibly even from the point the lane becomes a marked turn lane with a solid line I could see calling that reckless driving depending on how it was performed.

As I was taught, if you accidentally end up in a turn lane that you didn't intend. You make the turn and just turn around later rather than make your mistake be an inconvenience to everyone else...like this. Inconsiderate drivers I run into are disproportionately found in white SUVs for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sog1K1H1UW8

Old 02-29-2016, 03:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,211,300 times
For me, 95 percent of all driver are reckless. Driving anxious in a hurry is reckless. Those always passing me are reckless, those who accelerate too much at red lights are reckless, those who try to get in the turn lane space before the white line, when i am waiting like a good law abiding citizen, the I have a near accident because they are going faster than me in a turm lane, and doing it before the turn lane line is there are scary reckless.

I think most people under age seventy drive reckless.

It seems funny the work 'reckless' mean the opposite of wreckless?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,319,171 times
If you're driving 15+ mph faster than the flow of traffic, not using your turn signal, following too close, and passing from the right lane is wreckless. It's not uncommon to find wreckless drivers. I think most people who enjoy speeding don't like being passed and it's an adrenaline rush for them. I used to drive very fast when I was younger (16,17) and I didn't care if I got a ticket or not because my parents would pay for it (this was back in the late 70's BTW). Ever since I became independent I've been more careful behind the wheel because I'll be taking the responsibility to pay for it, not my parents.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:39 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,319,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
At the point that they are merging in the intersection and possibly even from the point the lane becomes a marked turn lane with a solid line I could see calling that reckless driving depending on how it was performed.

As I was taught, if you accidentally end up in a turn lane that you didn't intend. You make the turn and just turn around later rather than make your mistake be an inconvenience to everyone else...like this. Inconsiderate drivers I run into are disproportionately found in white SUVs for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sog1K1H1UW8
I'd first assume that the driver was trying to cause an accident (insurance fraud). Usually when you have a green light like that the last thing id expect is the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. When you're not paying attention then you'll slam into the back of their car and when the police arrive it'll look like it's your fault.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:53 PM

17,326 posts, read 12,279,109 times
And that's why I run a dash cam.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What do you guys think?
It doesn't matter what we think.

What matters is what the cop who pulls you over thinks.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,969,830 times
Being behind the wheel of a moving car and concentrating on a phone rather than road and traffic.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,114,299 times
Reckless is driving beyond the abilities of the driver, the car, or the conditions. Speed by itself is not reckless, if you're on a wide open, straight road, there's no danger associated with your speed. Try the same thing in a school zone though, and that is completely reckless. Same thing goes for your car. If you're driving your F150 like you're in the Indy 500, and taking corners like you're in a sports car, that's reckless. Any kind of texting, or any activity where your eyes and attention are not on the road, is reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive