Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM

4,218 posts, read 3,770,660 times

Advertisements

I cant say that I would own a car that I did not find to be attractive or have a certain characteristic to it that fits my personality. There are many cars that I would drive, and I would like, but that would not justify me owning one. When it comes to cars I am very picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,808,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
More pics of your Prius? I like that color and the wheels. Does it have the panoroof with the solar panel?

You need a vanity license plate..... 2SLOW4U, 55ORUNDR, H80TO60, H8SPEED, GOT MPG, SIPSGAS, ITSSLOW, IMGREEN, SLOWCAR, IH8OPEC,

Man, there are just too many!
LOL! I thought about the vanity plates but they are so expensive here in Texas now! So i opted out. Instead I ordered a better color plate which I'm still waiting for. We have different colors/design choices. But those are some good ones! I did think hard about the "slow" oriented ones.

I did not get the solar roof because its not offered on the top model that had some other things I wanted.

The only other pics i have are like these that show the hauling capacity and bike rack I installed.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I bought my parents that new little Lexus CT200h last week. Driving around the demo, I was surprised to find that I enjoyed that little car. It was easy and fun to drive, it had more pickup than I imagined, it was comfortable, and it was full of tech.

Truly surprised.
Yup! I totally would have bought that, but it did not fit our needs as far as space. It's tiny in comparison to the Prius. Even though it's basically the lexus version of the Prius.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is called a ricer, unless you do some engine modifications to back it up with.
Ummm, you don't modify a Prius with go-fast mods. Now THAT is funny!!!
But nothing wrong with improving it's looks with tasteful exterior modifications.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,281,555 times
My wife is getting 52MPG so far in her Prius.

I don't drive it too often, but in PWR Mode, the car is as fast as a Civic.

I wouldn't personally fix it up, or add rims; we wanted the cheapest, most reliable and good on gas car we could afford. But I do like the looks of it.

Not to mention the 2010+ MY are the best looking Priii? yet.

My wife liked the Lexus, but I couldn't spend another 10K on what was basically a glorified Prius.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,268,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Ummm, you don't modify a Prius with go-fast mods. Now THAT is funny!!!
But nothing wrong with improving it's looks with tasteful exterior modifications.
I know that, and that is why I would question anyone trying to make the Prius look fast with TRD wheels, lowered suspension and a body kit. It is a ricer just like I said.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,503,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
How is it on gas? I think the Prius is better for city commuting than country commuting. If you tripled your commuting distance, wouldn't you be better off with something like a Honda Civic. I think as the Prius as something for stuck in traffic commuting, but when your commute is mostly traffic free, just distance involved, a Honda Civic would be a better choice.

NOt really accurate at all... A Prius is rated at 48 MPG on the highway.. 51 city..No current Civic is gonna touch 48MPG or more.. Many owners get more, some less. The worst I've ever gotten in one is 35-38MPG, the best 62MPG, but I mostly average 46-56 MPG when I drive them for work.

I've recently been getting 42- 62 MPG in the new Prius C, usually averaging 49-52 MPG though.

Finally drove the Prius V for a good distance the other day. From Philly to D.C. I got an overall average of 43.5 MPG... Darn good for the huge interior size. Mostly 60-80 MPH I was averaging closer to 41.5 MPG, got a good jump in MPG by getting to use a good deal of all EV mode during slow traffic for accidents caused by bad weather and worse drivers. All of which I was alerted to well in advance by the live traffic updates on the Navi. Each time it was accurate and it was nice to know ahead of time that the sudden slowdown was only a short distance each time..

I usually see about 1MPG less than that, (the V) in the newer Camry hybrid, but of course that has almost 70 more HP, or enough to lay down some rubber if you need to act like a child every once in awhile...

Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
Well, if you are more of a tech guy than a car guy, maybe the Prius fits you better. To me they seem like "driving a refrigerator" - just an appliance for A to B with minimal fuel consumption. I don't see any driving enjoyment factor, who drives a Prius on a mountain road thru the twisties for fun?

Anyone? Buehler?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I know that, and that is why I would question anyone trying to make the Prius look fast with TRD wheels, lowered suspension and a body kit. It is a ricer just like I said.
Well I'm glad it looks "fast" to you.
I just think the looks have been improved. Plus it has much better handling compared to it's 4x4 stance it had before. And it's ~7lbs lighter per corner, better for mpgs. Looks like it's win win win for me.
I'll ignore your racist comments.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, if you are more of a tech guy than a car guy, maybe the Prius fits you better. To me they seem like "driving a refrigerator" - just an appliance for A to B with minimal fuel consumption. I don't see any driving enjoyment factor, who drives a Prius on a mountain road thru the twisties for fun?

Anyone? Buehler?
That's not why you buy a Prius.
Same reason you don't buy a corvette for the purpose of making home depot runs.
Always been a car guy but priorities have changed so I now own a car I never thought I'd own, and I actually enjoy it for reasons completely different than the reasons I enjoyed my previous cars, which is the point of this thread.
And ya, I suppose I'm a bit of a tech guy as well.

I actually have ZERO stress now when I get to work after what was a long and arduous commute before. Same roads, same traffic, but the commute is actually somewhat enjoyable. Can't say I'd like to be sitting in traffic in a corvette, m3, s4 or anything like that. Who would? But now I almost look forward to slow traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive