Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,023,319 times

Advertisements

I'm an entry level tech at a a dealership but I'm looking to change career fields. I want to become an engine machinist.

I have prior experience from school...like honing blocks, cleaning blocks, honing cylinders, taking apart engines...pulling out engines out of cars...and I have a very detailed understanding of how a gasoline or diesal engine works.

However I have no actual work experience...

What would I need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
Apply for a job.
They will start you at the beginning.
Washing and waxing cars and trucks.

You will have to go back to school to become a mechanist.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,269,055 times
Try to find a shop by you, and see if you can 'intern' for them. Work for free, so you can learn the trade, then once you can prove your self see if they will hire you. You could also contact your school and see if they have work placement program. Talk to your old professors see if they know anybody that will give you a chance.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,870,992 times
I have been thinking about the machinists I used to know when I was still working, but can not remember if any of the machinists working there, had any *official* schooling at all.
I think that most of them came thru the ranks.
The best ones, were the *tool and die* makers !
Starting to work at a machine shop that does contract work, doing the *menial* stuff first ...
*Sounds* bad, but maybe the best way to get somewhere ?

A machinist can usually operate a few basic machines, like a drill press, a lathe, and a mill, and maybe a grinder.
When they get better, after quite a while, they then work on the computer controlled ones.
All of them were darn good in trigonometry !!!

If you do get a chance to start at a place willing to show you *the ropes*, you will start as a *Machinist Apprentice*, then *graduate* to *Journeyman Machinist, and who knows when, you may and up as a Class A machinist ... Depends on how often make *scrap* .....

I know, there are some schools where you can learn to become a machinist.
Some of them even *on-line* but I can not imagine how you would become a true machinist studying *on-line* ...
Check out this link, and maybe that might help you ?
http://education-portal.com/engine_m...t_courses.html

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,658,272 times
I was goo.g to say look at a local community college for machist work. Like operating a lathe, mill, etc... I knew a girl that did this then got worked for crane grinding custom cams. She later got an A&P like me, and got into aviation.

Sent from my PC36100 usinheg Tapatalk 2

Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM

At minimum, you'll need a high school diploma to become a machinist. While it's possible to learn the skills of a machinist through on-the-job training, the vast majority of machinists learn through structured classroom and practical training. Manufacturer or union-sponsored apprenticeships are an ideal way of getting the necessary training, but admission to such a program can be difficult to manage.
You can prepare yourself and become a prime candidate by taking courses in metal shop, drafting and blueprint reading. Computer courses are also important, because CNC machine tools will often be used in your work. Math classes such as trigonometry and algebra will help you in making precise measurements.
Step 3: Complete an Apprenticeship

An apprenticeship program can usually take as long as four years. You'll study various aspects of the machinery trade, including safety practices, CNC machine operation basics, metallurgy, computer-aided design (CAD) and CNC programming. Other areas covered in the classroom include math, physics and geometric dimensions. Apprenticeship or2-year associate's degree programs might also be found at some technical and community colleges.

Related programs at ITT Technical Institute:

Bachelor DegreesBachelor's - Industrial Automation Engineering Tech.
Related programs at ECPI University:
Bachelor Degrees Bachelor - Mechatronics
Milwaukee Area Technical College

Mechanical and Electrical Repair
Metalworking and Welding
Machine Tool Technologies

and the list goes on Machine Tool Technologies

Quick Facts:
Machinists and Tool and Die Makers
2010 Median Pay $39,910 per year $19.19 per hour
  • Number of Jobs, 2010 438,100
  • Job Outlook, 2010-20 7% (Slower than average) Employment of machinists and tool and die makers is expected to grow 7 percent from 2010 to 2020, slower than the average for all occupations. Workers with a range of skills who can perform multiple tasks in a machine shop will have the best job opportunities.
  • Employment Change, 2010-20 29,900
Machinists and Tool and Die Makers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Last edited by snofarmer; 05-23-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,234,342 times
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I feel you would be better suited to steer away from getting into engine machining. The work is still there obviously but the demand for engine work is on a steady decline. Engine machine shops aren't as busy as they used to be... late model performance engines are coming off the assembly line with little to improve on. The engineering and manufacturing processes that go into engines are markedly more advanced than they were 10, 20 years ago. Most of the upgrades that take place nowadays are electronic tuning and/or bolt-on parts. Also the majority of engines in newer cars are basically throw away items and its pretty clear that trend will continue until the ICE is completely phased out.

Based on this thread and others you have posted maybe you should look into a mechanical engineering degree, even that is a pretty saturated field but you will be guaranteed to find work and much higher pay than you will just turning bolts and wrenches.

If thats not your thing there are MANY other types of machining opportunities other than engines. With the huge increase in demand for greener, more efficient energy there is also a demand for mechanisms to harness that energy. Air and water turbines are huge right now... they require machinists. Maybe you should look into CNC schooling?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM

mechanical engineering

A job listing for a mechanical engineer.
Mechanical Engineering Jobs for Mechanical Engineers

A national manufacturing operation in Southwest Missouri has multiple needs for Mechanical Engineers with 3+ years of applicable experience. BS Engineer degree required. The candidate should have experience in project engineering/management, designing, planning, organizing, controlling, and completing capital equipment projects, determining equipment/process/system design AutoCad, Microsoft Products, project justification, capital projects, plan/budget/control projects, SolidWorks, blueprints, etc.

Mechanical Engineer Job # 2825 Akron/Canton area, Ohio

Compensation: $50K to $58K

Local Northeast Ohio manufacturer is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with 2 plus years of experience to add to their team. This position will require working in tandem with other mechanical engineers to ensure design functionality. Primary function of this role will be the design / drafting of layouts, components, assemblies, and systems from specifications, drawings/sketches, models or verbal instructions for both new and existing product design.

Requirements:

• A BSME degree
• Computer literate in CAD, Microsoft Office and Macola
• 2-5 years engineering experience
• Strong background in material selection and application
• Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Company, in its discretion, may find appropriate and acceptable

Responsibilities:

• Design parts/products to be optimized for manufacturability, serviceability, functionality, safety, appearance, cost, aesthetics, commonality, etc.
• Provide good engineering - innovation, functionality, cost control, manufacturability, life, safety, appearance, commonality, inventory control
• Provide good productivity - quantity of projects, speed of projects, time accountability
• Provide accurate information - correctness, consistent format, completeness
• Project a positive attitude and support the company objectives and priorities
• Comply with the written standards, procedures, and processes of the organization
• Understand the abilities and limitations of our factory
• Seek out purchased components that satisfy the requirements, are competitively priced and have lead times that allow for lowest inventory (avoid single-source components where possible)
• Recognize when stress analysis is necessary and perform same
• Ensure that the BOM's are accurate and in synch
• Perform/oversee the drafting of your designs and ensure that the dimensioning is consistent with the design intent (ensure that the dimensions are shown from surfaces that actually matter)
• Personally assist with the drafting if necessary to keep the project moving
• Provide engineering support for all products as required
• Perform revisions to existing products as required
• Assist in solving problems in the shop as needed
• Provide support to Sales as needed

Compensation: $50K to $58K

Seams like a lot of work and more money compared to setting up a business washing and waxing cars on the side or do you still intend on doing this on the side no mater what your "day" job is?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,794,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I feel you would be better suited to steer away from getting into engine machining. The work is still there obviously but the demand for engine work is on a steady decline. Engine machine shops aren't as busy as they used to be...
I agree. Anymore it's cost effective to buy a new crate engine ready to run as opposed to restoring an old engine. I'd love to be able to find a job building custom high performance engines but I know there's no money in it, especially when you can build one out of a catalog with a credit card.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'd love to be able to find a job building custom high performance engines but I know there's no money in it, especially when you can build one out of a catalog with a credit card.
Not quite,
You can bolt together an engine out of catalog bought parts, but you are not an engine builder. When you know how to file fit rings and blueprint the engine then you are an engine builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive