Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times

Advertisements

I was pulling into the Whole Foods parking lot when somehow the electric pulley that pulls the shopping carts got loose and rammed into my car.

It left a fairly medium sized dent.

I spoke with the manager who took a picture of the damage and took all of my information.

She told me to get a quote from an auto repair shop and speak with someone else who handles the claims at the store.

I am going to my usual auto body shop on Wednesday to get a quote.

Is there anything else that I have to do?

I've never been in the situation before where my car has been hit by a shopping cart pulley.

I've never been in an accident before either.

So what exactly is the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,032,229 times
The store's insurance should handle it for you.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Get the quote. Call the stores insurance agent. Get car fixed. That's about all you can do. Once you talk to the ins. It will be out of the stores hands and they will have no new info to give you

Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
At least your wife didn't open her door wide open as another car was pulling into the parking space next to you. I'll never let her forget it! About $1200 in damage to the Acura RDX's fender and wheel. My Magnum's door got a nice dent around the door's edge. I never had it fixed, traded it in that way, but GEICO found me at fault and increaesd my premium a $100. Then it went back down 6 months later when I turned 30. So I can't complain I guess.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM

689 posts, read 2,162,177 times
It sounds like the store is acknowledging responsibility, and their insurance carrier will see to it that you are reimbursed for the fair cost of the repairs. If you run into hitches or stonewalling, contact your own insurance company. They should help you. At worst, your insurance company will pay the damage on your collision or comprehensive, and then they will go after the store's insurance to recover their own expenses in paying the claim.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Assuming you have full coverage the best thing to do is just contact your insurance company. They will cover the claim under your comprehensive and then seek compensation from the store. This way you don't end up having to negotiate repairs with the stores insurance and dealing with not having a car if they stonewall paying. Your rates will not go up and you ensure yourself the fastest repair and most protection.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Assuming you have full coverage the best thing to do is just contact your insurance company. They will cover the claim under your comprehensive and then seek compensation from the store. This way you don't end up having to negotiate repairs with the stores insurance and dealing with not having a car if they stonewall paying. Your rates will not go up and you ensure yourself the fastest repair and most protection.

The problem which this may cause is that he might have to pay the deductible for his coverage.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
It sounds like the store is acknowledging responsibility, and their insurance carrier will see to it that you are reimbursed for the fair cost of the repairs. If you run into hitches or stonewalling, contact your own insurance company. They should help you. At worst, your insurance company will pay the damage on your collision or comprehensive, and then they will go after the store's insurance to recover their own expenses in paying the claim.
Sounds like good advice. The only thing I would add is getting something in writing from the store achnowledging what happened.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The problem which this may cause is that he might have to pay the deductible for his coverage.
He may have to pay his deductible out of pocket upfront, but then it will be reimbursed once the insurance company gets compensated. It may take a couple of weeks for that to happen, but that's a risk you take. I'd rather be worried about getting my deductible back then having my car sitting in a shop waiting for payment and the stores insurance company dragging its feet.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,177 times
My experience in a similar case was that my insurance company called the other insurance company on the phone, worked out an agreement (like lawyers, they are all in bed with each other), and called me back to tell me to just go get an estimate, send it in, and they'd cut me a check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive